The Student Room Group

Higher Languages 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aixox
Anyone have any predictions for the short essay or direct writing? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No clue about the directed writing, it could be about anything! I'm kinda hoping it's about town vs country... As for the short essay, I think it'll be on healthy lifestyle and sports... What about you? :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by studynotime
No clue about the directed writing, it could be about anything! I'm kinda hoping it's about town vs country... As for the short essay, I think it'll be on healthy lifestyle and sports... What about you? :smile:

I'm thinking maybe a twinning for directed writing. For short essay i think either health and sports or perhaps languages as that hasn't came up in a while :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aixox
I'm thinking maybe a twinning for directed writing. For short essay i think either health and sports or perhaps languages as that hasn't came up in a while :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Twinning? Eh? Explain!

Yeah that hasn't come up in quite a while!
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I'm doing AH, does that count? :tongue:

Hello, I am doing higher German this year and I was wondering if I could ask you a question about the personal response?
Reply 44
Twinning? Eh? Explain!

Yeah that hasn't come up in quite a while!

Yeah twinning, the scenario where you're town is twinned with another in France and you to visit ?
Original post by happychicken
Hello, I am doing higher German this year and I was wondering if I could ask you a question about the personal response?

Yes, of course. Ask away! :smile:
Yes, of course. Ask away! :smile:

Thank you :smile: when it comes to the personal response, I've always been taught by my teacher that whatever the question you should talk about the advantages and disadvantages of the topic. But sometimes I feel like it is not suitable to talk about, for example I was going to do this question today 'are you an only child or do you come from a big family? How do you get on with your family? Would you like to change? Why?' I didn't think advantages/disadvantages would be appropriate. What was your structure for personal responses?
Reply 47
Original post by aixox
Yeah twinning, the scenario where you're town is twinned with another in France and you to visit ?

Twinning, when your town or school is twinned with another in France and you go to visit etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by happychicken
Thank you :smile: when it comes to the personal response, I've always been taught by my teacher that whatever the question you should talk about the advantages and disadvantages of the topic. But sometimes I feel like it is not suitable to talk about, for example I was going to do this question today 'are you an only child or do you come from a big family? How do you get on with your family? Would you like to change? Why?' I didn't think advantages/disadvantages would be appropriate. What was your structure for personal responses?

Honestly, I didn't adopt a particular structure for the personal response. In this case, I would personally start by outlining the type of family I come from and what I like about this, however, I would also discuss the flip side of the coin so what I dislike about it etc. That sort of fits in with the advantages/disadvantages structure your teacher has told you to use. Really, I wouldn't fret about it - there's no designated structure which the SQA stipulates. Just ensure that you address the question fully! :smile:

P.S: Are you taking AH next year?
Original post by aixox

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking healt might come up too but school hasn't been in it for a while...

Does anyone have a list of common words ( the little connecting ones that you don't want to be searching for in the dictionary)?
Honestly, I didn't adopt a particular structure for the personal response. In this case, I would personally start by outlining the type of family I come from and what I like about this, however, I would also discuss the flip side of the coin so what I dislike about it etc. That sort of fits in with the advantages/disadvantages structure your teacher has told you to use. Really, I wouldn't fret about it - there's no designated structure which the SQA stipulates. Just ensure that you address the question fully! :smile:

P.S: Are you taking AH next year?

Okay, thank you! This was really helpful :smile: and no, I'm not taking AH. I would've liked to but I'm not that great at the translation and my sister (who did do AH) said there was a lot of that :smile: good luck with your exam!
So how's everyone feeling for French tomorrow? I'm feeling pretty confident but if anybody wants to send me some easy subjunctive sentences to learn they're more than happy to :tongue:.

Has anybody actually been properly taught the subjunctive in class or have you had to learn it yourselves?
Original post by Craigenhogen
So how's everyone feeling for French tomorrow? I'm feeling pretty confident but if anybody wants to send me some easy subjunctive sentences to learn they're more than happy to :tongue:.

Has anybody actually been properly taught the subjunctive in class or have you had to learn it yourselves?

My French tutor had to teach me some sentences with the subjunctive in it... Didn't get taught it at all! :frown: Extremely worried about the writing :confused:

I'm doing AH tomorrow but can help you with some subjunctive phrases. There are a number of phrases whose use automatically triggers the use of the subjunctive so if you learn a few of those you can suitably impress the examiner. For example, bien que (although), afin que (so that), etc. There is an ample selection on this page. http://french.about.com/od/grammar/ss/subjunctive_6.htm
Have you actually been taught been taught the verb forms for the subjunctive? Eg so that I can = afin que je puisse (not peux)
My French tutor had to teach me some sentences with the subjunctive in it... Didn't get taught it at all! :frown: Extremely worried about the writing :confused:

I've not even been taught the subjunctive at all by my teacher, she said it would fry our brains so she wasn't going to bother.

For the writing what I like to do is isolate what the thing is actually asking you. This gives you 2-3 mini questions to answer which makes the essay a lot easier to plan and write for me. Make sure what you write makes sense as well! Hope that helps a bit :smile:

I'm doing AH tomorrow but can help you with some subjunctive phrases. There are a number of phrases whose use automatically triggers the use of the subjunctive so if you learn a few of those you can suitably impress the examiner. For example, bien que (although), afin que (so that), etc. There is an ample selection on this page. http://french.about.com/od/grammar/ss/subjunctive_6.htm
Have you actually been taught been taught the verb forms for the subjunctive? Eg so that I can = afin que je puisse (not peux)

I recognise the subjunctive when I see it I've just not been taught the conjugations.

Thanks for the list :smile: I'll memorise some of those and hopefully use them correctly tomorrow :P
Reply 55

Could you send me some please? I think we got told about them in class but not much more than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Is it likely that the short essay question may be on family and friends this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by Raabiah
Is it likely that the short essay question may be on family and friends this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For French? If so, I don't think it will as friends came up in 2012 so unlikely to come up again so soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

Praying that there's a health and lifestyle question for the short essay!!
Higher Spanish predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest