The Student Room Group

Poverty In Saudia Arabia on the Rise

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/05/world/meast/twitter-campaign-highlights-poverty/index.html?hpt=hp_c5

How can this logically happen in one of the most oil rich countries in the world? Little or no empathy or just pure greed?
Reply 1
Saudi Arabia has many issues that have been hushed down. I'm not surprised when most women aren't in the workforce and that many companies choose to hire cheaper immigrant workers so that many nationals don't have jobs.

I'd also imagine that most Saudi couples have many children or that most married men have many dependants. One man may have to feed children, elderly parents, wife/wives and possibly siblings with one salary. There's also this system where women are dependant on male guardians and without them, the women are almost destined to poverty. The people who are descendant from immigrant workers are also discriminated against. The Shia muslims of Saudi Arabia are also discriminated, mainly because the Salafi muslim clergy is against them.

Besides all of that, the ruling family owns all of the country and can do whatever they want with the money.
(edited 10 years ago)
They suffer from many of the same problems we do, people come from poorer countries under false pretenses then they burn their passports and any official documents from their home countries so the authorities are unable to send them away. On top of this Saudi has pretty strict citizenship laws which results in children who have immigrant parents being unable to be classed as Saudi citizens. As you can imagine this results in large amounts of people who are able work for very low salaries thus putting Saudi nationals out of work. Despite their money Saudi Arabia as a society is highly undeveloped and use said money as almost a mask allowing them to exist in the modern world without actually being a part of it. Subjects such as religion and theology are incredibly popular within their education system while subjects such as mathematics and physics are rarely explored and most jobs relating to scientific fields are currently occupied by foreigners with Saudi nationals in general having a very limited set of skills.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
One day King Abdullah's payouts will no longer be enough. Arab Spring is on their doorstep already.
It's a backwards, racist, sexist and horribly discriminating country, and it's no wonder that poverty is increasing. It's a largely disgusting place, and one I hope only to visit again for Hajj (yes, I'm a Muslim and I hate Saudi).
Original post by Straight up G
It's a backwards, racist, sexist and horribly discriminating country, and it's no wonder that poverty is increasing. It's a largely disgusting place, and one I hope only to visit again for Hajj (yes, I'm a Muslim and I hate Saudi).
To be honest, none of the aforementioned adjectives are really conducive to producing economic poverty. Aside, Is this relative or absolute poverty being measured?
Original post by CEKTOP
One day King Abdullah's payouts will no longer be enough. Arab Spring is on their doorstep already.

doubt it mate
Reply 7
it is human nature to want more than we already have. Therefore most people will have the mentality of 'why should I give it to them when I can have it for myself'. It is pure greed is what it is.

Humans are vile creatures and our extinction would benefit this planet.
Reply 8
One of the most backward, disgusting countries in the world.
Original post by bestofyou
it is human nature to want more than we already have. Therefore most people will have the mentality of 'why should I give it to them when I can have it for myself'. It is pure greed is what it is.Humans are vile creatures and our extinction would benefit this planet.
Poverty is not increasing because rich people are taking wealth from poor people. Because the demand for skilled workers is more inelastic, as the economy of Saudi Arabia grows, the wages of skilled workers are rising exponentially, poorer people are still getting richer, just not as fast as rich people are getting richer, thus the quantity of those living 40% below median income or RELATIVE poverty has risen.
Because it's run by nutjobs
Reply 11
Original post by obviouspessimist
doubt it mate

When the impoverished outnumber the privileged by a huge margin, a coup is only a matter of time.
Reply 12
Original post by CEKTOP
When the impoverished outnumber the privileged by a huge margin, a coup is only a matter of time.

Their religion keeps them subdued there, no chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CEKTOP

I think the impoverished citizens there are still richer than most of us folks here! haha
Reply 14
There are so many factors that cause poverty it would be hard to see why without having a close look at the country. For example when the Soviet Union fell poverty increased massively across the former soviet block. Whereas other countries poverty has increased due to famine etc.
Reply 15
Original post by Ggmu!
Their religion keeps them subdued there, no chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Times are changing and religion increasingly releases its grip on the minds of the people.
Reply 16
Original post by CEKTOP
Times are changing and religion increasingly releases its grip on the minds of the people.

I really, really hope it happens in Saudi Arabia. That may be what could reform Islam into a modern religion that may be able to do some good in the world. Doubt it, but it would be nice.
Reply 17
Original post by Straight up G
It's a backwards, racist, sexist and horribly discriminating country, (yes, I'm a Muslim and I hate Saudi).
but they created islam and argueabley there are all those elements to some extent in islams history too, which is fully a result of arabic influence
Reply 18
Saudi Arabia's leaders are too busy living a billionaire lifestyle to care. These people are meant to be Muslims?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending