The Student Room Group

English Literature

Hello Everybody

I am starting Sixth Form tomorrow and was wondering if I could ask you all if you think English Literature is a 'soft' A-Level to have?

What career prospects do you gain from having English Literature A-Level?

I have heard numerous people tell me that it is a worthless A-Level unless you have a fairytale dream of becoming an Author, then again I have heard many others tell me that it benefits other subjects and makes you seem educated to numerous universities.

I have already chosen Law as my 4th A-Level but I have learnt since then that it is an EXTREMELY soft A-Level to have and I was hoping to tell my Director of Sixth Form for a 'transfer' tomorrow.

So....Any help would be appreciated

Thank you to those who reply :smile:
Original post by Shane96
Hello Everybody

I am starting Sixth Form tomorrow and was wondering if I could ask you all if you think English Literature is a 'soft' A-Level to have?

What career prospects do you gain from having English Literature A-Level?

I have heard numerous people tell me that it is a worthless A-Level unless you have a fairytale dream of becoming an Author, then again I have heard many others tell me that it benefits other subjects and makes you seem educated to numerous universities.

I have already chosen Law as my 4th A-Level but I have learnt since then that it is an EXTREMELY soft A-Level to have and I was hoping to tell my Director of Sixth Form for a 'transfer' tomorrow.

So....Any help would be appreciated

Thank you to those who reply :smile:

English Literature is not a soft A level in the slightest! It's one of the most respectable A levels you can do :smile: The skills you gain are extremely transferable and are favourable for plenty of art degrees. Plus just because you do the subject, doesn't mean you have to pursue a career in that field :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd give good odds the people who said those things about English Lit were science students who struggle to produce anything much longer than a sentence. :colone:
numerous people are obviously idiots who have never heard of transferable skills such as literary criticism
Reply 4
Oh thank heavens, Thank you!

I was starting to believe that I didn't have a future due to me being bad at science and all :rolleyes:
Reply 5
I did English literature in my first year of college which was a bad decision for me because my other 3 subjects were maths physics and economics... However I found it really fun as I enjoy reading and poetry... It is not a 'soft' a level however it wasn't as intense as maths and physics I reckon... The coursework isn't difficult just a ball ache so I advise u to get it done as soon as.. My teachers were great and we did a lot of role play and watched movies of the books we studied and plays... It all depends on how much you enjoy books to be honest and whether you have a maths brain or an English brain... I ended up with a B in coursework and an E in the exam as I didn't revise and I only read a quater of pride and prejudice overall I got a D.. If u enjoyed GCSE English lit then go for it! U can always change during the first few weeks of college anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Shak995
I did English literature in my first year of college which was a bad decision for me because my other 3 subjects were maths physics and economics... However I found it really fun as I enjoy reading and poetry... It is not a 'soft' a level however it wasn't as intense as maths and physics I reckon... The coursework isn't difficult just a ball ache so I advise u to get it done as soon as.. My teachers were great and we did a lot of role play and watched movies of the books we studied and plays... It all depends on how much you enjoy books to be honest and whether you have a maths brain or an English brain... I ended up with a B in coursework and an E in the exam as I didn't revise and I only read a quater of pride and prejudice overall I got a D.. If u enjoyed GCSE English lit then go for it! U can always change during the first few weeks of college anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've made my night mate
Original post by Shane96
Oh thank heavens, Thank you!

I was starting to believe that I didn't have a future due to me being bad at science and all :rolleyes:

Not in the least. Rejoice in your appreciation of the power of words. The pen is mightier than the sword.

Quick Reply

Latest