The Student Room Group
Reply 1
AlBourne
Im writing my personal statement at the mo n don't no wot to rite!!!

Wot did people put in their personal statements to get accepted into a biology course at uni????

Please help!!

lv Al XXXX

Your teachers should help you with writing personal statements.
Generally why you are interested in Biology, what you have done to show you are interested in Biology, and why you would make a good uni student (what you have done to show you have leadership skills, teamwork skills, good time management etc).
There is also a section on TSR specifically for personal statements, I suggest you go and look at that.
Reply 2
It is hard expressing yourself in less than a page but try writing a few ideas before putting it together. some ideas:

what certain aspects of biology interest you(e.g. evolution, physiology) and what you have to offer(enthusiam determination). try and link other activities you do to show this stuff like you were in a sports team so it shows you can work in a team. and also put in stuff about your other subjects and how they helped you to become better at biology. then read some books and put a bit about them in.

good luck and remember not to compare it with other peoples because it's your own statement. but i did find the thesauras on word quite useful to avoid repeating words too much
Reply 3
what certain aspects of biology interest you(e.g. evolution, physiology) and what you have to offer(enthusiam determination). try and link other activities you do to show this stuff like you were in a sports team so it shows you can work in a team. and also put in stuff about your other subjects and how they helped you to become better at biology. then read some books and put a bit about them in.

Thats basically what I did for my Bio personal statment, except instead of books, I wrote about a holiday in which I had seen different enviroments etc. and that "fuelled my interest in the subject"
Reply 4
My first sentence was about my time spent in Australia and New Zealand, because the animals and plants over there are amazing. I think you need something like that to grab their attention. I also wrote about an Ecology fieldtrip in Wales. They like practical evidence of your love of Biology!
Was quite proud of my statement, no rejections!
Reply 5
I applied for biology last year + i put
why i want to do biology
work experience/biology interests
extracurricular activities + how these gave me skills eg. teamwork communications, organisation etc.
conculsion saying (not in these words) im great give me a place on your course!:smile:

this seemed 2 work bcos i got offers

if you go to an interview they will ask u about stuff you wrote on your personal statement so don't write about stuff you don't want to talk about if you are applying to courses that might do interviews
Reply 6
Don't forget to use the Ask a PS Helper forum to get them to check over your statement

(I'm the biology PS helper :wink:)
Same as what everyone has said, why you're interested in biology, relvant work experience, or holidays/projects/school work that you've enjoyed, which is related to biology. Books you've enjoyed (only ones you have actually read though, especially if you might have an interview!) Make it lively, interesting - it doesn't matter if its a bit cheesy. Try and sell yourself, show that you're passionate about the subject.
Reply 8
my statement outlined:

- General praise of English school system and expressed desire to continue being taught in English (I'm a Swedish IB student)
- I like all parts of biology so far, I'm hoping that I will be able to specialize during my university time
- I like biology because it shows just about as big picture of the world as I am comfortable with, and it's not as theoretical as physics or chemistry
- I've been taking as much biology as my school system has offered me (Swedish junior high and high school courses, HL IB course, IB extended essay)
- A paragraph about sports I do
- Closing paragraph: Your university is good at biology, I think it will suit me, blah blah

Latest

Trending

Trending