The Student Room Group

Starting gym at uni - what healthy meals should I eat?

/title

Any more foods that are easy to prepare (apart from grilled chicken, pasta, rice) ?

I'll be lifting weights and doing cardio. so of course, proteins are a must!

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oatmeal, Quark, Granola, Lean Meats, Almonds, Walnuts, Avocados, Brown Rice Greek Yogurt, Fibrous Vegetables such as broccoli etc.

Just a few you can mix together to make meals with. Inb4 eat anything you want as long as you hit your macros.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ZRO
Oatmeal, Quark, Granola, Lean Meats, Almonds, Walnuts, Avocados, Brown Rice Greek Yogurt, Fibrous Vegetables such as broccoli etc.

Just a few you can mix together to make meals with. Inb4 eat anything you want as long as you hit your macros.

Posted from TSR Mobile

safe man

but I swear though that Almonds have high calories??

What about dinner time for you? What would you make?

I would probably marinade some chicken beforehand and then grill it or something.

What about rissotto? Or is that not good? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by James A
safe man

but I swear though that Almonds have high calories??

What about dinner time for you? What would you make?

I would probably marinade some chicken beforehand and then grill it or something.

What about rissotto? Or is that not good? :s-smilie:

Almonds = great fat source

You should be tracking macros etc to avoid over eating so it shouldn't be a problem.

Normally something with relatively good carb and protein ratio and lower fat. I fill up my fats around snacks during the day. Chicken is fine with some fibrous veggies etc.

Rissotto ermm not sure tbh I'd stick to good carb sources, wholemeal etc. Just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Risotto is great! You can pack it full of chicken or Quorn chunks for protein, and add peas to help get some vit C and iron.
Original post by James A
/title

Any more foods that are easy to prepare (apart from grilled chicken, pasta, rice) ?

I'll be lifting weights and doing cardio. so of course, proteins are a must!

:smile:

Lentils are high protein and really cheap.

Almonds are quiet expensive though from supermarkets £5 for 500g i think, dont quote me on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ay mang u need dat der celltech
Reply 7
Jacket potatoes, just stab 'em and wrap 'em in foil...
Top dinner is mine, is to scramble 4-5 eggs, mix it with a can of tuna and a little mayo and its absolutely delicious and 65g + of protein. Mix some veggies in too if you need more carbs

Grill chicken breasts with veggies, can get 70g+ of protein per meal with two decent sized chicken breasts.

Protein shakes for PWO and generally when you're low on protein for the day, drink em with water unless you need the extra calories, around 40g+ for a double serving. 55g+ if you mix em with milk.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ZRO
Almonds = great fat source

You should be tracking macros etc to avoid over eating so it shouldn't be a problem.

Normally something with relatively good carb and protein ratio and lower fat. I fill up my fats around snacks during the day. Chicken is fine with some fibrous veggies etc.

Rissotto ermm not sure tbh I'd stick to good carb sources, wholemeal etc. Just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

GOOD CARBS?!?!?!?!? wut plz no
Reply 10
Original post by marcus2001
Top dinner is mine, is to scramble 4-5 eggs, mix it with a can of tuna and a little mayo and its absolutely delicious and 65g + of protein. Mix some veggies in too if you need more carbs

Grill chicken breasts with veggies, can get 70g+ of protein per meal with two decent sized chicken breasts.

Protein shakes for PWO and generally when you're low on protein for the day, drink em with water unless you need the extra calories, around 40g+ for a double serving. 55g+ if you mix em with milk.

Scrambled eggs and tuna, I'm gonna give that a try defo.

My only qualm with chicken breasts are that they might stretch a student budget-wise :s-smilie:

I'm planning on having protein shakes, but only when I feel I'm not getting enough from my diet on a particular day..... I know I shouldn't, but I'm bound to have a takeaway at one point during the week with my flatmates :redface:

Also, things like runner beans, broccoli and carrots boiled will be enough veggies for a meal? A frozen bag of mixed veg comes to mind :colone:
Reply 11
I usually have 2 eggs a day, and a lot of meat. Avoid the carbs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trill
I usually have 2 eggs a day, and a lot of meat. Avoid the carbs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Carbs are vital...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
24 eggs a day
Reply 14
Original post by Nvmthename
Carbs are vital...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said avoid, not eliminate.
Reply 15
Original post by ZRO

Posted from TSR Mobile

what is quark?
edit: just googled it. Kind looks to good to be true, how does it taste?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by James A
Scrambled eggs and tuna, I'm gonna give that a try defo.

My only qualm with chicken breasts are that they might stretch a student budget-wise :s-smilie:

I'm planning on having protein shakes, but only when I feel I'm not getting enough from my diet on a particular day..... I know I shouldn't, but I'm bound to have a takeaway at one point during the week with my flatmates :redface:

Also, things like runner beans, broccoli and carrots boiled will be enough veggies for a meal? A frozen bag of mixed veg comes to mind :colone:

Yeah it is expensive, but you know you're prettiest much eating the healthiest thing you can so that kinda makes up for it.. the way I do it, is budget around your food so atleast you can be sure you're nailing nutrition. I have 2 chicken breasts everyday because there isn't a lot else with so much protein, so few calories, and such a great taste.

And yeah I think there was a study saying the difference between a perfect diet, and an otherwise perfect diet with a single weekly cheat meal was negligible, I wouldn't have much more than 1 though.

And yeah a bag of mixed veg is my go-to source of carbs as it's pretty balanced, but I also keep a bag of broccoli for when I'm feeling like a proper badass fitness freak
Reply 17
Most important thing is sleep, don't know how you'll manage that with Uni. I pretty much blew my first year because I was getting 4hrs sleep a day.
Reply 18
Original post by marcus2001
Yeah it is expensive, but you know you're prettiest much eating the healthiest thing you can so that kinda makes up for it.. the way I do it, is budget around your food so atleast you can be sure you're nailing nutrition. I have 2 chicken breasts everyday because there isn't a lot else with so much protein, so few calories, and such a great taste.

And yeah I think there was a study saying the difference between a perfect diet, and an otherwise perfect diet with a single weekly cheat meal was negligible, I wouldn't have much more than 1 though.

And yeah a bag of mixed veg is my go-to source of carbs as it's pretty balanced, but I also keep a bag of broccoli for when I'm feeling like a proper badass fitness freak

Blimey, two chicken breasts a day? If I can really budget with other things like avoiding the bus and walking to the town centre and just saving the small pounds, I can use that spare cash to get chicken breasts. What about marinading them? Do you just grill them plain? Surely not :hmmm: I could add some spices to it .........
Original post by James A
Blimey, two chicken breasts a day? If I can really budget with other things like avoiding the bus and walking to the town centre and just saving the small pounds, I can use that spare cash to get chicken breasts. What about marinading them? Do you just grill them plain? Surely not :hmmm: I could add some spices to it .........

Yeah, if I have 2 chicken breasts a day, meeting the rest of my protein requirements becomes easy. And I don't even grill them tbh, I put them in the oven but wrapped in foil to keep the moisture in, might start grilling them when I get back to uni though. And in terms of flavouring I buy the nando's peri-peri chicken rub, just roll the chicken about in that before putting it in the oven and it will taste good, not as good as nando's, but still good.

Quick Reply

Latest