The Student Room Group

Freaking out, I miss the induction week!

Hi, I am new to TSR and to University. I am supposed to start on the 16th (enrolment) and I have academic induction on the 20th but I am away on holiday for that whole week!
I emailed the course director and she says I can enrol on the 23rd (the day we start) I also asked her "will I miss much?" referring to the academic induction and she said "you will miss the entire academic induction". I don't even know what the induction is and the course director was very unhelpful. I hate missing everything and its making me really anxious. I am thinking of not going on holiday at all because I feel like I am missing everything and be wayy behind!
Will I be missing much?? I don't know what to do!
I am studying Fine Art btw. Please help, i have bad anxiety anyway and I am just freaking out!
Reply 1
Meg , do not freak out :smile:

The induction of University is not vital, I am not say is useless but it not the end of the world if you will miss it; basically during the induction they will tell you general info about the course ,how many teaching hours and individual study, will explain how the grades works, will introduce your lecturers, homework's, holidays and terms,etc.. I guess is pretty much this kind of stuff.

Enjoy your holiday and good luck with your course :smile:
Reply 2
I very much doubt you'll be missing much in terms of academic content, however you'll be missing basic things about your course and the university. You'll probably miss the overview for what you'll cover over that year, how to utilise the facilities (library, art studios etc), which referencing system the art school at your university uses (I assume fine art students still have essays etc). It's all very basic things to be missing, but it's still stuff that will come in useful.
Can I just ask why you booked a holiday for the week you'd be starting uni? Unless you're going abroad for a wedding or something I'd be looking to rearrange it, although you wouldn't get any money back for cancelling so close to departure. You might be able to come to an agreement with the travel provider though, however if you've booked it online this probably isn't possible either.

It isn't the best start to be missing the induction week and certainly doesn't give the best impression to your lecturers, but it isn't something you can really change now so just learn from it and always check your term dates before booking holidays from now on :smile:.
Reply 3
You wont miss anything, friend at uni rang the course director on the day we started and asked if he could do the course. An hour later he was enrolled he didnt miss anything, only problem might be if everyone in your course has already formed they own little groups but shouldn't make that big of difference. Don't worry about it have a good holiday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
You'll miss freshers week and the introduction to your course/meeting your coursemates.
Reply 5
I wouldn't worry too much Meg. My uni is a 4 hour round trip and includes walking 4 miles, I obviously went to enrolment but not going for anything else this week! You might feel a bit left out as people will already know each other's names and they'll have formed groups, but you'll catch up and those groups will change a hundred times over the year :smile:
No, you'll be fine. A lot of people skip the week by choice because all you do is listen to people talk about the uni and learn to get around. If you're one of the sociable ones, you might even make a few friends or gain acquaintances.

Because I'm such a socially anxious weirdo I went to most of the things at mine though I missed a really important talk yesterday because thanks to two of my oldest "friends" who I just don't want to know anymore, I had a panic attack and started crying whilst on the phone to my sister - WHO, btw, had no idea I was having the panic attack - because I was just so pissed off at the whole situation with my friends and I was overwhelmed with starting uni and overwhelmed with not having a job and no loan to fall back on. My sister literally shouted at me for getting so emotional. Thank god for tough love. This wasn't in uni, btw, so thankfully no one will know me as "the girl who gets pissed off and cries because she was never taught to appropriately deal with emotions!" ANYWAY! If you're anything like me then you're lucky to have missed this sort of drama, if you're nothing like me, and I don't know how you would know this considering you know nothing about me other than the fact that I may spontaneously burst into tears when I'm having a panic attack whilst being made to confront rageful anger, then lucky you! Oh yeah, I also skipped some welcoming drinks gathering thing or whatever which happened today - I went in for a talk on my course then walked out straight after. Induction week is just that - you choose to go in if you want to and choose to walk out when you want to, it's not too important. Even parents can go which I thought was really weird.

Soooooo I forgot what I was writing. Oh yes, don't worry. All that matters is you enrol and if your course director said you can enrol at another time, then you're still good to go! Induction week is literally just an introduction to the facilities, services, course and things like that. It's pretty boring and slightly useless. When you do go in and make friends just ask them about what happened and they'll fill you in. Don't worry too much.
Reply 7
Old thread I know. We've booked a holiday for next year and it looks like it now may interfere with my daughter enrolling at college. We dont come back Until 8th September as my sister is getting married in Florida. If you are unable to make the enrolment date can they give you another one even if after 8th September? Paid £10,000 for this holiday so don't want to cancel and lose it all
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Andip
Old thread I know. We've booked a holiday for next year and it looks like it now may interfere with my daughter enrolling at college. We dont come back Until 8th September as my sister is getting married in Florida. If you are unable to make the enrolment date can they give you another one even if after 8th September? Paid £10,000 for this holiday so don't want to cancel and lose it all

When you say college, do you mean 6th form college for A Levels? I assume so judging by how early in the month that date it. I think that's the sort of thing you'd be better off just asking them. I know at my sixth form, teaching started straight away so she may miss the first few days of teaching. As for whether they'll let her enrol some other time, that's something we have no real way of knowing, so just ask them. The college's admin staff will still be there over summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending