The Student Room Group

Any advice for my friend?

So I'm really disappointed for my friend and want to offer him some advice but I'm not sure what he can do. If you could offer some suggestions, I would be grateful.

Basically, I know that he has a tough time at home. His mum is alcohol-dependent and she makes him work full time to keep living at home. He tried doing ASs in the 3 sciences and maths but got Ds because he couldn't juggle them with a full time job and the disruptions at home.

He really wants to study humanities based subjects and he mentioned the Liberal Arts programmes but chose science A Levels because of the less demanding coursework pressures of essay-based subjects.

In his situation, what do you think I could advise him to do? I've said that maybe look for direct entry Foundation courses. I had a quick Google but I could only find Bristol and Leeds that offered this type of 1-year-course that he might be eligible for.

I know he wants to leave home ASAP and is considering the Army even though he doesn't really want to join - he sees it as a way out. :frown: Right now I am feeling pretty sorry for him. Anyone got ideas?

Cheers for helping out! :smile:
Reply 1
Why doesn't he do an access course, mine last year was only 2 days/week which leaves time to work. If i were him i would reduce his hours down slightly so he can manage both things. Then start looking an uni's and courses ASAP so that he can get out of that situation ASAP. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind & i think him leaving home will be the nest thing for his mother to sort her life out.
Reply 2
Original post by S1an
Why doesn't he do an access course, mine last year was only 2 days/week which leaves time to work. If i were him i would reduce his hours down slightly so he can manage both things. Then start looking an uni's and courses ASAP so that he can get out of that situation ASAP. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind & i think him leaving home will be the nest thing for his mother to sort her life out.

This was my initial suggestion but he wants to leave this year. He definitely isn't in two minds about it. He wants to leave to get away from his mum and be able to live his life but also to help her, from what we have talked about. I've never had responsibility like that so I can't really empathise with him but I can understand why he might want to leave. I mean, I would have been out of there ages ago. When I asked why he didn't leave earlier his response was because he didn't want to go to a care home, which I think is understandable. Now he's 18 that isn't a problem for him :smile:

Poor guy, I just wish there was a fast and simple way out and in to education for him - I've considered offering him a place at my house but I wonder if that would be putting too much pressure on my mum
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
He just phoned me and asked what he thinks about Boarding School. I laughed when he said it but then he explain the reasoning. Live away from home, get education sorted, sports and music etc really emphasised and if he can get a scholarship would be free.

When he said it like that it sounded like a half decent idea. I'm not sure, now!
Reply 4
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
He just phoned me and asked what he thinks about Boarding School. I laughed when he said it but then he explain the reasoning. Live away from home, get education sorted, sports and music etc really emphasised and if he can get a scholarship would be free.

When he said it like that it sounded like a half decent idea. I'm not sure, now!

he'd be too late for boarding school this year and too old next year, entrance tests would have been sat months ago. plus scholarships are only of nominal value, maybe offering a 10% discount on fees if your lucky at most places and are for those who do well in the entrance test (which he would have missed). Some schools do offer bursaries up to the value of the school fees but schools will only award these once they have carefuly scrutinised household income.

and afraid he'd be too late for most university places as well, plus even for most foundation courses your still expected to take A2's unless your a mature student.

all i can suggest is that he sees if any relatives will take him in.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest