The Student Room Group

Computing Personal Statement

Hey guys,
I'm currently trying to write a person statement & I want to do Computing at University.
Does anyone have any tips to help me have a good personal statement?
Even if it's just adjectives to describe myself...
I need help!
Thank you :smile:))

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hey, I'd suggest talking mostly about the aspects of the subject that interest you - specific topics that you have particularly enjoyed, or (better still) extra-curricular studying or experience that has interested you. It's okay to talk briefly about what has inspired you to do the subject or the relevance of your subject in the world today, but the university are more interested in what makes you a good candidate. As much as you can about what you have done experience-wise would be advisable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't got much work experience in Computing - however I have been studying ICT since GCSE & am now doing Double ICT as an A-Level, which also includes Programming (which not any schools do now) - what should I talk about as I don't have much work experience? Thank you for all of our advice so far! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
It doesn't have to be work experience necessarily, you can talk about aspects of the course that you were interested in, maybe something in the news which is relevant to the course and you have an opinion. Or if you attended any computing or similar clubs at school you should write about that. Basically you want to sound really enthusiastic about your subject :smile: The uni wants to make sure you're committed to the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by computinggirl95
Hey guys,
I'm currently trying to write a person statement & I want to do Computing at University.
Does anyone have any tips to help me have a good personal statement?
Even if it's just adjectives to describe myself...
I need help!
Thank you :smile:))

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mentioned that you did some programming as part of your Double ICT course. You could write a bit about that i.e. what you programmed, what programming techniques you used etc. I would recommend picking up an introductory computer science textbook (e.g. this) and start reading it to get a flavour of what computer science is about. Only then can you write about something you find interesting. The skills admissions tutors are looking for in CompSci applicants are: problem-solving and mathematics. You could try and demonstrate these i.e. maths challenges. They're also many university lecture videos on YouTube (from top universities) which you could watch.
Unfortunately, I'm not applying for Computer Science, just ordinary Computing! But I will take those comments on board! Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending