The Student Room Group

Official Higher English 2013-2014 Thread

This poll is closed

How did your english exam go?

GOOD! :-) 34%
BAD 11%
could have been better...55%
Total votes: 92
Thought I'd get some threads going for my subjects nice and early - so that we can all chat about the subject and help eachother out. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello:biggrin:
Surprisingly this is my favourite higher so far; about half way through the cone gatherers, have done our first close reading higher paper and our personal reflective:biggrin:
Not good for me, English is hard innit

I can barely speak it tbh, not too sure why I'm doing essays on books/plays when I don't even have the slightest clue about grammar.
So what are you guys doing your reflective essays on?
Hello, I don't know what to do mine on in particular, I have a few ideas! I have until Friday to plan.
I was thinking on basing it on how life is so nice and easy when you're young until you are hit with reality and I was going to reflect on how I experienced a huge change from primary to high school and how life is not always easy... Hmm this may not be good at all.
Another was that I could write about visiting a city and this changed my views on what I want in life... Any opinions would be greaaaaaat :smile:

What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Remember you don't have to chose a specific event; you can choose something such as an aspect of your life or personality. Someone I know wrote theirs on being an introvert?
I wrote mine on my anxiety but that's kind of a very specific thing so it may not help?

Anybody had to endure their first higher close reading paper yet?
Reply 6
Original post by Claire__
Remember you don't have to chose a specific event; you can choose something such as an aspect of your life or personality. Someone I know wrote theirs on being an introvert?
I wrote mine on my anxiety but that's kind of a very specific thing so it may not help?

I only eve done 2 double close readings before my exam, 1 being the prelim :lol: They aren't that bad, you just get a bit bored!
Reply 7
Original post by CSM1996
I only eve done 2 double close readings before my exam, 1 being the prelim :lol: They aren't that bad, you just get a bit bored!

We did our first last week; wasn't actually too bad!
32/50, aha:L
our teacher was just happy because she said usually it's like 6/50.

I decided on doing it on a sibling who moved away to another country - due to University and how it's inspired me etc I've got it planned and have many aspects to write about in it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by GeschichteJunge
I decided on doing it on a sibling who moved away to another country - due to University and how it's inspired me etc I've got it planned and have many aspects to write about in it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ooh sounds like a good topic:smile:
I'm probably getting mine back from being marked tomorrow so that'll be good; we went through two good examples and two awful examples so hopefully I've done well:smile:
Im trying to do close reading right now and the urge to slit my wrists is increasing..
Finished my first Higher essay tonight, so proud tbh :smile: We've just finished our poem ("Daddy"), we're about to do some personal/discursive work over the next week and then we're starting Othello

My personal essay was on exam stress in general, and my own experiences of it, and I'm doing my discursive essay on Curriculum for Excellence. Sad part is that I disagree with most of the CfE structure even though I'm going to have to teach and then later promote it :frown:
Reply 12
We haven't quite ventured into our first proper critical essays yet because we've still got half of the cone gatherers to get through; not looking forward to it because the book is just so dull.

Oh, exam stress sounds like a good topic! I'm actually really happy with my personal reflective; there's an extended metaphor and everything, aha:smile:
I just can't get into the text we're doing in class. Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion. I cannot stand Bernard Shaw, that preachy, declaim-y old sod.

I've self-studied two poems, by Lowell and Larkin. Is it necessary to do critical essays from different categories, or can you do two in poetry? I'm having difficulties finding interesting and] easily analyzed things in different categories.

My favourite play is Hedda Gabler right now, and I'm a little obsessed with Camus' La Chute, but I'm not sure if foreign-language texts are allowed. I read Hedda Gabler in translation, but I've only ever read the original La Chute. I'd have to find and buy a translation. More money to spend... :c
Reply 14
Original post by Hollyperidol
I just can't get into the text we're doing in class. Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion. I cannot stand Bernard Shaw, that preachy, declaim-y old sod.

I've self-studied two poems, by Lowell and Larkin. Is it necessary to do critical essays from different categories, or can you do two in poetry? I'm having difficulties finding interesting and] easily analyzed things in different categories.

My favourite play is Hedda Gabler right now, and I'm a little obsessed with Camus' La Chute, but I'm not sure if foreign-language texts are allowed. I read Hedda Gabler in translation, but I've only ever read the original La Chute. I'd have to find and buy a translation. More money to spend... :c

I can't help you much cause I am not really familiar with those texts but you cannot choose two pieces from the same section in the exam.

Will you not be doing more texts in class, like plays, you could use if you don't like the one you are doing the now.
Original post by kylerfc
I can't help you much cause I am not really familiar with those texts but you cannot choose two pieces from the same section in the exam.

Will you not be doing more texts in class, like plays, you could use if you don't like the one you are doing the now.

Ahh, thank you! I've spoken to the teacher and she's told me that we won't be doing another text until after the prelims. :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by Hollyperidol

You don't have to like the book to analyse it(we're doing the cone gatherers... it's just...nope). It might be dull and boring, but it will most definitely get you the best marks because you'll have all the analysis from class. Plus, full length texts are usually better for answering questions, because you can talk about different aspects.

Put up with it for the prelim for now, perhaps? Then stick to your poems and the full length text you do after prelims for the final exam. Obviously, keep your prose incase a relevant question doesn't come up though.
Reply 17
Okay. Your either good at English or not. Take it from me I barely studied for the final exam failed the pre lim. Only studied a week before the exam for about 40 mins a day. I didn't revise any close reading and only memorised essays. I got a B in the exam. Teachers mark it as the SQA would want it marked whereas in my opinion I think the actual SQA markers mark it in what they would see as a good essay or good answer. Just luck I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Johnm75
Okay. Your either good at English or not. Take it from me I barely studied for the final exam failed the pre lim. Only studied a week before the exam for about 40 mins a day. I didn't revise any close reading and only memorised essays. I got a B in the exam. Teachers mark it as the SQA would want it marked whereas in my opinion I think the actual SQA markers mark it in what they would see as a good essay or good answer. Just luck I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

English is one of those subjects where you have to put the effort in to get an A if you want an A. You have to know your text and what to analyse, although close reading is strange to study for.
SQA mark it less harshly because of time constraints.
You don't have to like the book to analyse it(we're doing the cone gatherers... it's just...nope). It might be dull and boring, but it will most definitely get you the best marks because you'll have all the analysis from class. Plus, full length texts are usually better for answering questions, because you can talk about different aspects.

Put up with it for the prelim for now, perhaps? Then stick to your poems and the full length text you do after prelims for the final exam. Obviously, keep your prose incase a relevant question doesn't come up though.

I'm a little worried that we're only doing one text in class before the prelim, but we'll have to do two in the prelim...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending