The Student Room Group

As levels didn't go as hoped Help!!!

Hi, this is my first post and I don't know if I'm posting in the correct section. Basically, I did my As levels this year and I did decently (I got A B B D U) but the problem is that I wanted to go and do a biology degree at university but I got a D in Human biology and a U in chemistry so now I'm unsure on what I should do, I had a look at other things I could do as a degree with my other subjects but nothing really interests me and i really want to do a biology degree. I know that if I retake human biology I can do better but I dropped chemistry this year and I don't know of any universities that allow you to do a science degree with just biology, they usually ask for things like chemistry as well.
any help?
Are you taking maths? Maths is counted as a science subject by the majority of universities.

If not, then you may not be able to take biology :frown: I can't think of anywhere off the top of my head that accepts prospective biology students without another science. Do you really have no interest in studying any of your other subjects further? You're clearly very good at them, and depending on what they are they may allow you to get into a similar field of work in the end?

If you really aren't sure, you could always choose to take a gap year next ywar just so that you have a little more time to see how you find your other subjects this year so you can decide how to proceed from there. :biggrin:
Reply 2
No I'm taking russian, politics and modern history as well but there aren't that many job opportunities with them and nothing in that field interests me. i honestly don't know what to do :/. Is there any way I can take a new a level subject this year like geography or geology? I hear that they are also accepted at uni's alongside human biology
Reply 3
Hey, you can definitely still go for Biology and there are plenty of people who have done so with one science.I dropped Chemistry this year but am applying for Biology :smile: Some universities ask for just Biology, some will take biology in conjunction with geography, psychology or geology or maths etc.

Some examples are Aberdeen, UEA, Queen's university Belfast, Warwick, Aston, Southampton, Lancaster, Birmingham etc.
Bearing in mind most of them include geog etc as a second science. I taking geography alongside biology so that opens a lot more universities :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah the problem is though, that I will have to retake Human biology first :/
Maybe consider retaking the year with subjects more relevant to the course, IE biology, chemistry, maths and one other that interested you...
Reply 6
Well if you are 100% sure you want to do biology at uni, then it may be beneficial to drop 2 of your AS subjects, obviously chemistry and then one of the subjects you got a B in? This way you'll have more time time to focus on 3 A level subjects and have more time in order to resit your human biology exam :smile: I wouldn't worry too much about having to resit, I found that when starting second year of a level, resitting as exams came so much easier!
I had a similar situation and did the whole of a level maths in a year, so did the as in 3 months, got an E at AS first time round! But after a couple of resits I ended up with an A as my final a level result and am now going to study maths at uob soon :smile:

Basically my point is if you really want to study it at uni, you will make it happen :smile: hope that helps!
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice, I'm talking to my biology teacher tomorrow and a careers adviser next week, hopefully they can help out aswell

Quick Reply

Latest