The Student Room Group

Exit opportunities for Lawyers.

OK, so I've been fairly curious about this for a while now and thought TSR would be a good place to ask. If you're able to get a TC and qualify as a lawyer, how in demand will your skills be later on in your career? It seems like so few people make partner, and you can only be a 'senior associate' for so long (from what I hear) so you may never actually hit the top of the legal profession.

For example, if at 35 you realise you're never going to make partner at your firm, what are your options? except jumping before you're pushed. Alternatively, if 3 years post qualification you decide that you want to get out of the industry, what can you realistically do, without taking a massive pay-hike and moving down in seniority? Politics seems like an option, but any others? can you go into finance as an experienced hire, if you've got experience within M & A and general banking.

I'm just curious really, since bankers can go onto private equity, hedge funds, start ups, venture capital, politics etc, whereas I've been hearing that once a lawyer, always a lawyer, unless you're going to trade down or move sideways. Loads of ex-lawyers I know seem to be doing things like teaching the LPC, or working for niche recruitment firms..

Thanks for any thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cutmeloose
OK, so I've been fairly curious about this for a while now and thought TSR would be a good place to ask. If you're able to get a TC and qualify as a lawyer, how in demand will your skills be later on in your career? It seems like so few people make partner, and you can only be a 'senior associate' for so long (from what I hear) so you may never actually hit the top of the legal profession.

For example, if at 35 you realise you're never going to make partner at your firm, what are your options? except jumping before you're pushed. Alternatively, if 3 years post qualification you decide that you want to get out of the industry, what can you realistically do, without taking a massive pay-hike and moving down in seniority? Politics seems like an option, but any others? can you go into finance as an experienced hire, if you've got experience within M & A and general banking.

I'm just curious really, since bankers can go onto private equity, hedge funds, start ups, venture capital, politics etc, whereas I've been hearing that once a lawyer, always a lawyer, unless you're going to trade down or move sideways. Loads of ex-lawyers I know seem to be doing things like teaching the LPC, or working for niche recruitment firms..

Thanks for any thoughts.

You have been met by a deafening silence here.

Firstly are you referring to exit routes from law or exit routes from private practice?

If one is looking at exit routes from private practice, a lot of lawyers go in house and a lot of lawyers end up in local government (which has more or less stopped training its own).

I think if one is looking at getting out the law entirely, I think that is largely a phenomenon of City firms. I know few provincial lawyers who have jacked it in and those that have, have tended to go back into a non-legal family firm.

Simply given the earnings of solicitors in City firms, those who go off and do something else will inevitably experience a pay reduction. I have met vicars, teachers and a consultant psychiatrist who have all been City solicitors. I know a fund manager and one of two who have gone into legal management consultancy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Are you asking what you can do if you are getting nowhere in your firm, or if you want to change careers entirely?

Most lawyers change firm at some point in their career, for a variety of reasons. If you want to escape typical private practice, companies are springing up now which act as hubs for freelance lawyers working on a project basis. This isn't for everyone, though. If you want to leave law entirely, I would have thought nulli above would be as good a person to ask as any. It really depends on your motivations for getting out.
Reply 3
You're probably better off asking this on RoF, given it seems everyone on there is a lawyer looking to jack it in, though be prepared for a torrent of advice not to go into law in the first place.

For those in PP I think going in-house is probably the most popular option. Obviously if you're leaving law altogether pretty much anything, though consultancy seems ppopular.
I guess there's teaching positions, e.g. being a lecturer/tutor at College of Law.

One of my invigilators during the LPC was telling me how he reached a stage of his career where he realised he wouldn't reach partner and felt he sufficiently saved enough. He had bought a pretty decent portfolio of properties over his time as a lawyer, then decided to leave law and create his own business importing clothing for women.

He seemed content with life, although I imagine he's not earning anywhere near as much as he once did. I guess he does have the extra rental incomes and security there though.
Reply 5
Original post by nulli tertius
You have been met by a deafening silence here.

Firstly are you referring to exit routes from law or exit routes from private practice?

If one is looking at exit routes from private practice, a lot of lawyers go in house and a lot of lawyers end up in local government (which has more or less stopped training its own).

I think if one is looking at getting out the law entirely, I think that is largely a phenomenon of City firms. I know few provincial lawyers who have jacked it in and those that have, have tended to go back into a non-legal family firm.

Simply given the earnings of solicitors in City firms, those who go off and do something else will inevitably experience a pay reduction. I have met vicars, teachers and a consultant psychiatrist who have all been City solicitors. I know a fund manager and one of two who have gone into legal management consultancy.

Interesting.

I think I'm referring to a bit of both really. I was curious, as If your salary begins to plateau and you're not going to make partner, your options become very limited surely? I assume you can't just move from senior associate at X to the same role at Y firm in the hope of making partner there.

It doesn't seem like finance where you can go into a more lucrative field..ii.e managing a fund, senior role in government, etc. Whereas, it seems like once you're in law, that's as good as it's going to get for you.

For example, my older brother is a second year analyst at a top tier bank, so only 22 and is already making more than a mid-level associate at a city firm. It just almost appears that in comparison to other industries, city lawyers seem to peak early and then have their salaries stagnate and at that point you'll be caught up by your peers in teaching, marketing etc (hence why it's not a good reason to enter the industry for solely financial reasons)

It seems like your skills are only really in demand in the legal industry.

What is it that makes you think it is a city phenomenon? I don't even really understand how it works, I worked for some months at a law firm, but still a bit confused. Assuming you do 2 years as a trainee, a couple of years as a junior associate, and then onto senior associate. When do they actually decide if you're partnership material?

Original post by TurboCretin
Are you asking what you can do if you are getting nowhere in your firm, or if you want to change careers entirely?

Most lawyers change firm at some point in their career, for a variety of reasons. If you want to escape typical private practice, companies are springing up now which act as hubs for freelance lawyers working on a project basis. This isn't for everyone, though. If you want to leave law entirely, I would have thought nulli above would be as good a person to ask as any. It really depends on your motivations for getting out.

Yeah kind of. Just say hypothetically, I was 38 years old, worked at a top 20 firm, racked up lots of experience as a senior associate. If I'm good at the job, but my face doesn't fit ( for partnership purposes) what exactly can I do with my skillset, if I still want to stay in the corporate world. Could I go and work for the UN? (not corporate but still)
Interesting.

I think I'm referring to a bit of both really. I was curious, as If your salary begins to plateau and you're not going to make partner, your options become very limited surely? I assume you can't just move from senior associate at X to the same role at Y firm in the hope of making partner there.

People do move firms in the hope of progression and from the City an awful lot go in house. The large firms have taken to producing alumni magazines and year books. What other industry produces yearbooks for the people they have sacked? Of course however if they go in house they effectively become the purchasing managers for the law firm's clients and possible future clients so the firm has to remain on good terms with them.

What is becoming increasingly hard is for City lawyers to move into private practice with smaller firms. Its okay if you move to or set up a boutique n your only niche area. is also okay if you are a general property lawyer or employment lawyer or a few similar areas but a lot of City lawyers now lack the all round skills to act as corporate and commercial lawyers for SMEs.

It doesn't seem like finance where you can go into a more lucrative field..ii.e managing a fund, senior role in government, etc. Whereas, it seems like once you're in law, that's as good as it's going to get for you.

I think you are under a bit of a misapprehension here. Even if you concentrate on investment banking rather than corporate and retail banking; banks employ thousands of people of whom only a tiny fraction have the skills to be able to move into say, fund management and effectively those are the people who are already doing that job in an integrated bank.

I am not sure that many go into government roles. There will be some in compliance and a few in central banking and one or two in the Treasury but they will all be taking massive salary cuts to go there.

What is probably more common is for bankers to move into corporate finance in accountancy firms and boutiques, tapping up their former selves for funding on behalf of clients. That isn't limited to investment bankers. The classic retirement job for a retail bank manager is to join a firm of accountants.

For example, my older brother is a second year analyst at a top tier bank, so only 22 and is already making more than a mid-level associate at a city firm. It just almost appears that in comparison to other industries, city lawyers seem to peak early and then have their salaries stagnate and at that point you'll be caught up by your peers in teaching, marketing etc (hence why it's not a good reason to enter the industry for solely financial reasons)

It is very easy to be cynical about financial analysts. To a large extent they are the veneer of respectability on the gambling activity of banks. It is a bit like Formula 1 saying that it is important for the development of ordinary motoring. Nobody gives a damn what they write and banks have largely given up trying to sell their work to clients. The people who start out as analysts tend to move onto three tracks. Either they end up in management, running the bank's investment banking division (though not running the bank-that is still the preserve of corporate and retail bankers) because you wouldn't trust a trader to do it, or they end up as salesmen flogging the bank and its products to clients (and in reality that is what Alex of the cartoon and his chums are doing) or the remain in analysis and end up as part of the bank's marketing efforts. There are a team of witty chief economists in various sectors who go round the country addressing groups of lawyers, accountants, local politicians and businessmen talking about the prospects for agriculture or housebuilding or manufacturing or whatever. They are selling nothing. They give away free pens and breakfast. In reality it is part of a bank's PR and marketing effort.

It seems like your skills are only really in demand in the legal industry.

You say the legal industry but the number and type of organisations that consume lawyers is huge and most, outside private practice don't train them.

What is it that makes you think it is a city phenomenon? I don't even really understand how it works, I worked for some months at a law firm, but still a bit confused. Assuming you do 2 years as a trainee, a couple of years as a junior associate, and then onto senior associate. When do they actually decide if you're partnership material?

The City has, I am not sure it necessarily wants, an "up or out" culture. Over the last 20 years, one has kept reading articles about this firm or that trying to devise a structure by which it can retain senior, but non-partnership track lawyers. Most firms have failed to achieve this. I think the problem is that you have a plodder in a department and then some whizz kid, cheaper and brighter, comes along and the partner in charge would rather have the star. You can why at the coal face of management that looks more attractive. But if you are on the financial management team of the law firm, and you are looking at wasted investment and the future expense track of the star, the plodder may have represented better value for money.

The process of becoming a partner has become much slower at the big firms.

These are the five Clifford Chance London lawyers made up this year

http://www.cliffordchance.com/about_us/find_people_and_offices/partners/gb/maxine_mossman.html

http://www.cliffordchance.com/about_us/find_people_and_offices/partners/gb/nicholas_hughes.html

http://www.cliffordchance.com/about_us/find_people_and_offices/partners/gb/peter_dahlen.html

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/tom-evans/64/a1/5a2

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/oliver-hipperson/11/627/a98

Traditionally in provincial practice there was a strong ethos that if you were not going to get a partnership you moved on to somewhere which would give you one or you set up your own plate. That has changed. It may be to do with the number of women in the profession or just that a lot of entrants have become more salary rather than business orientated. It may have trickled down from the culture of the big firms in the City. When I started you expected to be your own boss. I am not sure that someone who is a new partner in a firm with 150 partners regards himself as becoming self-employed rather than someone being promoted to a senior employed position. For all law students and trainees go on about being commercial, there is not an entrepreneurial bone in most of their heads. There are now a lot of what one might regard as permanently salaried lawyers, many of whom will be salaried partners but who have no ambition to own the law firm. That is novel.

Yeah kind of. Just say hypothetically, I was 38 years old, worked at a top 20 firm, racked up lots of experience as a senior associate. If I'm good at the job, but my face doesn't fit ( for partnership purposes) what exactly can I do with my skillset, if I still want to stay in the corporate world. Could I go and work for the UN? (not corporate but still)

I think you just have no idea of the number and range of organisations that employ solicitors

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association has two solicitors, the National Trust has 14 at its head office. The Drambuie Liqueur Company has one in Uxbridge. The North West London Hospitals NHS Trust has 2. The RFU has 4. Kew Gardens has 2. Walt Disney (the film company not the parks) has 2 in London. The Saudi Embassy has 1. The Jehovah's Witnesses have 1. West Oxford District Council has 1 but Lambeth has 28 and Birmingham City Council has 104. Marks & Spencer have 19.

However, I am going to pose the more challenging question. If you want to remain in the corporate world, why don't you rent some offices, hire a secretary/receptionist, set up a plate and sell your legal services to those who want to buy them?
(edited 10 years ago)

You can always become a GC in-house at some corporation or another. As nulli indicates, these companies are legion. Goldman, the FT, Cisco and so on. Your salary would likely take a hit, but at that level of seniority you would still be earning a good living at these kinds of companies.
Reply 8
I think the OP poses an interesting question but doubt it will get much traction on here.

Most posters are anxious about getting a TC. Once people have a TC and are in their penultimate seat they worry about being kept on/qualifying into their seat of choice.

Only the long sighted worry about what they will doing in a few years time.

You will be fortunate if you don't have to face that problem until you are 35. My City firm has consistently high retention rates on qualification but the exits come thick and fast soon after that.

Law firms are often very steep sided pyramids.
Reply 9
Original post by nulli tertius
x

I don't know if I'm not expressing myself too well. However, your post sways towards the 'once a lawyer' always a lawyer'.

All those suggestions involve selling your legal services in some way or another.

I wouldn't do the latter suggestion simply because I can't imagine why I would want, except if I wanted to be my own boss. Where's the fun in being your own boss if there's noone under you :tongue:
I don't know if I'm not expressing myself too well. However, your post sways towards the 'once a lawyer' always a lawyer'.

All those suggestions involve selling your legal services in some way or another.

I wouldn't do the latter suggestion simply because I can't imagine why I would want, except if I wanted to be my own boss. Where's the fun in being your own boss if there's noone under you :tongue:

It probably sways that way more than it should simply because I practice in the provinces and few desert the law for anything else. As I explained in an earlier post, more do so in the City but it is generally a case of closing a chapter and starting again.

As for your final comment, that shows the sea-change which the law has undergone in the last 25 years.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by peachmelba
I think the OP poses an interesting question but doubt it will get much traction on here.

Most posters are anxious about getting a TC. Once people have a TC and are in their penultimate seat they worry about being kept on/qualifying into their seat of choice.

You will be fortunate if you don't have to face that problem until you are 35. My City firm has consistently high retention rates on qualification but the exits come thick and fast soon after that.

It is a pity, because I think rightly or wrongly, that entrants to other professions do think further than that. I think doctors realise that junior house officer is not a career and a lot who go into finance realise that the posts they apply for are only performed by the young.

I think there seems to be a lot of "I've got into the University College, Doxbridge School of Economics-I've got it made", or "I've got a training contract with Allen, Linklater & May-I've got it made" amongst would-be lawyers.
Original post by peachmelba

It's a fascinating question and it's almost a dark secret that law firm recruiters don't reveal to university students. Something like half the trainees will have left within one year of qualification at my magic circle firm and another half of the rest within two years - where do they go? Some stay in law others leave law and do something else. Those that leave law altogether inevitably take significant salary and status cuts to do so. It's not as easy as finance to move sideways to a different career and continue making the same amount of money.

I get the impression attrition is lower the further down the law firm rankings you get, whether or not you consider this a virtue.

http://www.moretolaw.com/ might shed some light - interesting how almost all the entries are from city lawyers.

Also http://www.leavinglaw.com/Index.aspx

OP - you'd get a much better response on RollonFriday and I would encourage you to pose the question there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The West Wing
It's a fascinating question and it's almost a dark secret that law firm recruiters don't reveal to university students. Something like half the trainees will have left within one year of qualification at my magic circle firm and another half of the rest within two years - where do they go? Some stay in law others leave law and do something else. Those that leave law altogether inevitably take significant salary and status cuts to do so. It's not as easy as finance to move sideways to a different career and continue making the same amount of money.

This is indeed very surprising!
Why do you think this happens?

By the sound of what you said then, almost all trainee intake is gone within up to 3 years post qualification! :O
Original post by Christopher343
This is indeed very surprising!
Why do you think this happens?

By the sound of what you said then, almost all trainee intake is gone within up to 3 years post qualification! :O

Goodhart's Law at work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodhart's_law

Applicants use NQ retention rate as a control mechanism so law firms distort it.
Reply 15
I think you mentioned consultancy elsewhere, anyway here's a thread offering a really comprehensive comparison of the two careers by someone who did both (ignoring the stuff at the start about becoming a judge): http://www.rollonfriday.com/Discussion/TrainingDiscussion/tabid/78/Id/9976648/currentPage/0/Default.aspx
Reply 16
Original post by TurboCretin
You can always become a GC in-house at some corporation or another. As nulli indicates, these companies are legion. Goldman, the FT, Cisco and so on. Your salary would likely take a hit, but at that level of seniority you would still be earning a good living at these kinds of companies.

This is an interesting thread.

I've been in-house now for approx 7 years. I was one of the many big city firm associates who became disillusioned with private practice, its prospects, work/life balance issues and politics. I moved in-house because it ticked a lot of boxes.

You certainly can't assume that you can make a jump from a senior associate role into a GC position. Those moves are rare as they, essentially, mean that the corporate has failed to have its internal succession planning in order. If you want to make a move in-house then you're most likely to secure a mid-level or DGC role and then, after some years experience, secure a GC position. They're not easy to come by and are highly sought after. Increasingly corporates want to see a history of in-house experience if they're recruiting externally for senior roles. An in-house lawyer needs a very different set of skills to their private practice cousins.

The peers from my trainee intake back in '97 are a mix of:

- partners in the firm in which we trained
- "of counsel" in that firm, or others
- partners in other firms (although not many)
- in-house like me
- recruitment consultants
- bankers
- dropped off the radar entirely

My guess is approx 60-70% of us are still in the profession. I don't know whether that's indicative of other firms or more recent trainee intakes.
Reply 17
ROF scares me... It's quite sad and depressing, that I asked this really, probably should go into freshers with the mindset of 'drink now, worry later!

I'm assuming that firms need to trim the fat, so to speak, so I guess that explains the high attrition rate. I had always wondered how can a firm take on 100 trainees annually, but it makes some sense now.

I struggled to articulate my original question which I think was mainly whether the 'ceiling' for lawyers was making partner (i.e the holy grail) Doesn't seem possible to go into an similarly lucrative senior role.

Are the dynamic different in the regions? i.e more chance of making partner?
(edited 10 years ago)
ROF scares me...

It scares me too.

Yes, undoubtedly but the financial rewards are lower and the houses cheaper.
Reply 19
ROF scares me... It's quite sad and depressing, that I asked this really, probably should go into freshers with the mindset of 'drink now, worry later!

I'm assuming that firms need to trim the fat, so to speak, so I guess that explains the high attrition rate. I had always wondered how can a firm take on 100 trainees annually, but it makes some sense now.

I struggled to articulate my original question which I think was mainly whether the 'ceiling' for lawyers was making partner (i.e the holy grail) Doesn't seem possible to go into an similarly lucrative senior role.

You can't take RoF too seriously, remember a) no one on there does and b) it has become known as a place for disillusioned City lawyers to come and gripe about how much they hate their jobs, thus attracts even more of the same kind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending