The Student Room Group

Qatar World Cup award may be 'mistake' admits Blatter

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChemistBoy
40 degrees is still far too hot to be playing professional football safely. Unfortunately I don't see the possibility of the players nipping off for a dip in the sea or the hotel pool if they get a bit warm during the first half...

Why would they need to if it is going to be 18 Celsius in the stadium?
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Why would they need to if it is going to be 18 Celsius in the stadium?

You speak as if it is all cut and dried that the stadiums will be able to be air-conditioned. The architects didn't think it was possible at the end of 2011 and all we have had since then is a string of press releases referring to novel concepts and on-paper modelling, but no actual experience of this. Proposed ideas seem to hinge on ready supplies of cool underground water supplies and ignore the potential health risks of having pools of near stagnant water sat underneath stadia.

I remain unconvinced that this can easily be pulled off without huge budget overruns.
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
Crime rates aren't high in Qatar at all.

Ah, sorry. I got that from a source, but it was actually talking about a different country and just mentioned Qatar towards the beginning. Confused me :redface:

But the rest of my points still stand.
Original post by ChemistBoy
You speak as if it is all cut and dried that the stadiums will be able to be air-conditioned. The architects didn't think it was possible at the end of 2011 and all we have had since then is a string of press releases referring to novel concepts and on-paper modelling, but no actual experience of this. Proposed ideas seem to hinge on ready supplies of cool underground water supplies and ignore the potential health risks of having pools of near stagnant water sat underneath stadia.

I remain unconvinced that this can easily be pulled off without huge budget overruns.

Well I haven't looked into it in immense detail I'll admit. However it seems that while the architects pressed for more sustainable methods, a huge difference in saying it was impossible to have air-conditioned stadiums, Qatar is still promising the air-conditioned stadiums. Regardless, air conditioning was one of the deciding factors in them being awarded the WC, or so we are told at least. Now I'm not sure on the laws surrounding the WC hosting, but surely if this promise is broken that would be enough to strip Qatar of the hosting right?

http://www.mottmac.com/worldcupstadium/

All in all, Australia should have got it, the Australians and the Oceania region in general had much more to gain from the World Cup being hosted in an Oceanic country.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24160879

UEFA have voted for it to be played in winter.

This is one World Cup I won't be watching.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending