The Student Room Group

Best books to help with Academic writing

My tutor told me that Harvard books are the best books to buy to help with Academic writing skills.. Can anyone give me any useful books? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I quite like the palgrave study guides. I've had a quick read through "How To Use Your Reading In Your Essays" and it is quite useful. My friend pretty much relies on "How To Write Better Essays" though, she says it's the most useful tool she's had at uni so far. I've borrowed it from her to see why it's so good, but I'd certainly recommend the first one I mentioned. Some of the stuff in it is a bit ott, but generally it gives quite good advice.
Reply 2
Thanks a lot for your help, really grateful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by angelooo
I quite like the palgrave study guides. I've had a quick read through "How To Use Your Reading In Your Essays" and it is quite useful. My friend pretty much relies on "How To Write Better Essays" though, she says it's the most useful tool she's had at uni so far. I've borrowed it from her to see why it's so good, but I'd certainly recommend the first one I mentioned. Some of the stuff in it is a bit ott, but generally it gives quite good advice.

I'd agree with angelooo - Palgrave Books are generally very good and they cover lots of specific topics.

I actually work at a UK university and teach academic writing, which is quite straightforward once you have the essay styles in your head and how to approach each.

If you want something interactive, you could try an online course on a platform like Udemy. Search academic writing and you'll see loads.
Try this collection if you like: https://www.udemy.com/academic-writing-skills-for-university/?couponCode=student+room+forum+Steve -

My brother and I made it for people like yourself who are having difficulty making the transition to writing.
If you have any questions, reply or inbox me.
Cheers,Steve

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending