The Student Room Group

How did you learn to use make-up? (Help!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aspirinpharmacist
My hands are a slightly darker shade than my face, just enough that I can't really test foundation on it. My skin's pretty pale, although my cheeks are all red from acne scars.

oh right, the last time I was trying the samples (I was going for a new brand) my mom just put all the different ones on my face till it matched aha, I wouldn't recommend that though!
Original post by riddlemethis20
oh right, the last time I was trying the samples (I was going for a new brand) my mom just put all the different ones on my face till it matched aha, I wouldn't recommend that though!

Haha, nice one! It always looks different in daylight to shop lights though.
Haha, nice one! It always looks different in daylight to shop lights though.

True I guess it depends on whether or not you use powder as well, I use Maybelline Dream Matte Mouse in light beige and that blends in really nice and doesn't need much putting on but I usually put a lighter powder on, it doesn't need it but its just a habit aha
The thing I have found through personal experience is to practice , this is easier said and done because its your own face haha but with liquid eyeliner (for example) you just gotta go slow and take your time. Youtube tutorials are really really helpful too, there are millions of them if you look. xox
I have learnt by trial and error. Generally starting with simple things and moving onto more complex things with time was the way I found best - I didn't go in and go 'yeah, today I'm going to do a liquid eyeliner perfectly first time' or whatever... it just developed over time. Also, sounds obvious but practice in your room - put some on and then take it off and try again.
I watch videos and I also learn from my aunts that are makeup artists. You should watch @beatfacehoney on YouTube she's awesome! She did makeup for Nicki Minaj and she tells you everything about makeup!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
I still haven't, after four years of trying to work out which foundation I can wear that doesn't make me look orange. Being pale is fabulous *sigh*

swap? id love to be paler
Basically trial and error tbh - and YouTube videos but I always get bored after a bit. Luckily my skin is awesome so it doesn't take much effort.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I just did in a way my auntie ordered me some bareMinerals that was it really although I do also use loreal true match as I find it amazing and i have found that it gives the same affect as mac but is much more cost effective.

It's just something you have to practice.
Reply 29
My amazing aunt took me to a Bobbi Brown counter where they gave me a makeover and she bought a whole bunch of the products they used so I could use them at home too. One of my cousins also bought some of their favourite drugstore makeup items for me, some of which I still use today (but of course not the exact same ones since this was a while ago)!

My favourite for more specific, advanced things like eyeliner and lipstick is Youtube: I really like Zoella, Tanya Burr, Lisa Eldrige and Essiebutton, amongst others - some great tutorials. I also like to ask the ladies at my local MAC counter on a quiet day and they're more than happy to chat and show me products and techniques I might not have found out about by myself.
Original post by AKWxxx
swap? id love to be paler

Noooo, I like being pale! Although Rimmel does a really pale foundation now that's cheap and brilliant. :love:
Reply 31
If you're using eyeshadow, don't use those little foam applicators they come with, especially if you're going for a natural look. They're so friggin hard to use! Use your finger, or an eyeshadow brush instead. If you're having trouble getting eyeliner near your eyelashes, you could try using a really thin eyeliner brush and some dark eyeshadow. One that is really thin, like fine paint brush. You wet the brush and paint the eyeshadow on like liquid eyeliner, except its much easier to fix up any mistakes, and you can smudge it so that it goes nearer to your eyelashes.
Youtube beauty gurus.
Reply 33
Original post by Kezza Wilson
Youtube beauty gurus.

YouTube is amazing for teaching you how to use makeup - check out Bubzbeauty, I used to watch her religiously :smile: but really, the best makeup practice comes from experimentation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
YouTube. How I learnt. watch a few like pixiwoo sisters are great. Watch the basics like foundation first getting your base right then other things. gives you tips. Took me a few gos use products that aren't high end. you'll get the hang of it :smile:
Reply 35
Oh and invest in good brushes. Make up can't be applied well without a good set of tools. real techniques from boots are probably the best and reasonably priced with offers in boots.
I pretty much just put makeup on again and again all day without going out. I left it on for an hour each time to see if the colour changed any and eventually i got the gist of it even though i'm still learning i think its the best way.

Just spend a Sunday and constantly practice.

Youtube Gurus are very useful too but they can only show you so much.
Reply 37
Trial and error is the best way to go. Also, asking your mum may help but I think you should experiment yourself. Personally, I just tried out different makeup looks through the years before I settled on what I feel comfortable in. Plus, my best friend is a makeup guru so that helped a LOT. :smile:
Youtube mostly

Quick Reply

Latest