The Student Room Group

Summing Series - OCR FP1

Hi guys,
Sorry to ask some rather basic questions regarding this but I've just started Further Maths this year and it doesn't look rosy so far.

We haven't done C2 yet (apperently it does contain a section on sequences/series) so a little bit in to the deep end with this topic with regards to my maths ability.

I understand the Sigma notation, and how to sum an arithmetic series so far if it's not too hard but anything harder than that and I'm starting to struggle.

For those with access to the Quadling FP1 book I've taken some problems from Exercise 2A to show the kinds of questions I'm finding tricky.

i=1n(2r+1)\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (2r+1)

It's stupidly easy I know, but once I break it down (law of addition/multiplication according to the teacher - please correct if I'm completely wrong) to:

i=1n(2r)i=1n(1)\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (2r) \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (1)

and the multitude of brackets come in, I'm completely lost (have I even got the right approach in the first place?!). :confused:

Since this is presumably on the easier side of FP1 I'm thinking that I'm just not good enough to do FM and I should bail out before it's too late.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Original post by scrlk
Hi guys,
Sorry to ask some rather basic questions regarding this but I've just started Further Maths this year and it doesn't look rosy so far.

We haven't done C2 yet (apperently it does contain a section on sequences/series) so a little bit in to the deep end with this topic with regards to my maths ability.

I understand the Sigma notation, and how to sum an arithmetic series so far if it's not too hard but anything harder than that and I'm starting to struggle.

For those with access to the Quadling FP1 book I've taken some problems from Exercise 2A to show the kinds of questions I'm finding tricky.

It's stupidly easy I know, but once I break it down (law of addition/multiplication according to the teacher - please correct if I'm completely wrong) to:

and the multitude of brackets come in, I'm completely lost (have I even got the right approach in the first place?!). :confused:

Since this is presumably on the easier side of FP1 I'm thinking that I'm just not good enough to do FM and I should bail out before it's too late.

i=1n(2r+1)=i=1n(2r)+i=1n(1)=2i=1n(r)+i=1n(1)\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (2r+1)=\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (2r) +\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (1)=2\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (r) +\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (1)
i=1n(1)\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (1) is just n and
i=1n(r)\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (r) is a standard result which you need to learn. Work it out as the sum of an arithmetic series with first term 1 and common difference 1 if you do not know it.
Original post by scrlk
Hi guys,

If you private message me with your email address I will send you some OCR FP1 powerpoints that might help.
Reply 3
Thanks guys.

Original post by brianeverit
i=1n(2r+1)=i=1n(2r)+i=1n(1)=2i=1n(r)+i=1n(1)\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (2r+1)=\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (2r) +\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (1)=2\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (r) +\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (1)
i=1n(1)\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (1) is just n and
i=1n(r)\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (r) is a standard result which you need to learn. Work it out as the sum of an arithmetic series with first term 1 and common difference 1 if you do not know it.

Right.

So:

i=1n(r)=12n(n+1)\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (r) = \frac{1}{2} n(n+1)

Since there are 2:
12n(n+1)+12n(n+1)\frac{1}{2} n(n+1) + \frac{1}{2} n(n+1)

Giving:
n(n+1)n(n+1)

Being the idiot that I am, I've ended up with the above answer instead of n(n+2)n(n+2)

Maybe I should give up FM and just stick to normal maths! :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by scrlk
Thanks guys.

Right.

So:

i=1n(r)=12n(n+1)\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (r) = \frac{1}{2} n(n+1)

Since there are 2:
12n(n+1)+12n(n+1)\frac{1}{2} n(n+1) + \frac{1}{2} n(n+1)

Giving:
n(n+1)n(n+1)

Being the idiot that I am, I've ended up with the above answer instead of n(n+2)n(n+2)

Maybe I should give up FM and just stick to normal maths! :frown:

You still have an 'n' left over from the sum of (1) which you need to add on :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by davros
You still have an 'n' left over from the sum of (1) which you need to add on :smile:

Thanks. So 1 = n therefore it's n(n+2)n(n+2)

Sorry to be a real pain but I just want to check if my methodology is along the right lines or not.

Question 2C now:
r=1n=(3r2+1)\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^n = (3r^2+1)

Goes to:

3r=1n=r2+r=1n=n3\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^n = r^2 + \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^n = n

What's the easiest way of dealing with 3r=1n=r23\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^n = r^2 without having to go through the process of expanding etc?

I'm probably missing an important step/technique here.

Sorry for all the questions guys. :smile:
Original post by scrlk

Sorry to be a real pain but I just want to check if my methodology is along the right lines or not.

Question 2C now:

Goes to:

3r=1n=r2+r=1n=n3\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^n = r^2 + \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^n = n

What's the easiest way of dealing with 3r=1n=r23\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^n = r^2 without having to go through the process of expanding etc?

I don't like the equals signs in your sums.

If you are expanding and then refactorising you are making life difficult for yourself. Look for common factors at outset.
Original post by scrlk

Question 2C now:

Goes to:

3r=1nr2+r=1n13\displaystyle\sum_{r=1} ^ n r^2 + \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^n 1

The sum of the squares of the natural numbers is another standard result that you are expected to learn.. If you haven't come across it yet consider the following
r=1n(r+1)2r=1nr2\sum_{r=1}^n (r+1)^2-\sum_{r=1}^n r^2
Reply 8
Original post by scrlk

Question 2C now:

Be careful with your notation - you mean 1=n\displaystyle \sum 1 = n for example.

And you've suddenly got lots of equals signs appearing where they shouldn't - you want r=1n(3r2+1)\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^n (3r^2+1) etc.

I'm assuming this is just a latex issue and you are actually clear on what you need to do now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest