The Student Room Group

Michael Le Vell is INNOCENT - should unconvicted men get anonymity in rape cases?

Poll

Should men in rape cases get anonymity BEFORE a verdict is reached

Story

Question in title. I will with hold my opinion for now so as not to prejudice opinions right at the beginning

Scroll to see replies

Yes, I think they should be given anonymity. Reputations can suffer tremendous damage due to this.

On a related note, do people not think it's slightly unfair that ITV suspended his appearances in Coronation Street because he was accused of a crime, waiting until he was found innocent before allowing him to return? Surely it should be "innocent until proven guilty"?

EDIT: Actually, that's potentially a pretty stupid point by me. He'd probably want a break from the show to concentrate on the trial (although it depends how far in advance episodes are recorded - I'm not sure if they removed his appearances in already-recorded episodes or not).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yes, I think they should be given anonymity. Reputations can suffer tremendous damage due to this.

On a related note, do people not think it's slightly unfair that ITV suspended his appearances in Coronation Street because he was accused of a crime, waiting until he was found innocent before allowing him to return? Surely it should be "innocent until proven guilty"?

I think his 'suspension' as it were was by far the best, and most sensible, option all round, mainly to prevent his continued appearance from influencing proceedings in court. It's the same in any job I'd imagine; certainly if I were even arrested for such a thing, I'd expect to be immediately suspended from my job pending a criminal inquiry/court case, as well as potentially internal disciplinary proceedings if appropriate. As long as the suspension is on full pay until an outcome is decided then I think it's fair and sensible and protects all concerned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Algorithm69
The article states he was never suspended by ITV.

And yes I definitely think people accused of rape should be given anonymity.

"He did not appear in any episodes of the soap during the legal proceedings."

I assumed the show didn't want him appearing? Perhaps he wasn't officially "suspended" though, they just "didn't feature his character" during that time.
Reply 4
They should be given anonymity in all cases whether it be rape or even murder because all it takes is for your name to be in the paper and stories start going around about you. Just look at the landlord of Joanna Yates, who was murdered in Bristol, who was arrested and what it's done to his reputation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shouldn't it be anonymity in all cases then? (or at least ones like rape, murder, child abuse etc). Why only rape cases?
Agree with vaguity above.
Also, what about unconvicted women? Do they not deserve anonymity too?
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Agree with vaguity above.
Also, what about unconvicted women? Do they not deserve anonymity too?

Well, if we're just discussing rape, then only men would be accused (because women cannot rape under British law).

But of course, if everyone deserves anonymity, this goes regardless of gender.
Reply 8
Yes, and also for all crimes of similar seriousness. People will say that their names should be made public so other victims can come forward, but I think that the defendents right to not by unfairly judged by society overrules this.
Original post by PythianLegume
Well, if we're just discussing rape, then only men would be accused (because women cannot rape under British law).

But of course, if everyone deserves anonymity, this goes regardless of gender.

I was speaking more broadly in terms of all (criminal) cases.
But I never knew women couldn't be accused of rape under British law, what is the equivalent crime for women accused of 'raping' a man then?
I was speaking more broadly in terms of all (criminal) cases.
But I never knew women couldn't be accused of rape under British law, what is the equivalent crime for women accused of 'raping' a man then?

Sexual assault. It's because the definition of rape involves penetration by a penis.
Reply 11
I'm thinking he's going to have defamation suits on the desks of a fair few tabloid editors tomorrow morning.
Sexual assault. It's because the definition of rape involves penetration by a penis.

I see, seems strange that there are separate rules governing the actions of men and women for the same crime.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
I see, seems strange that there are separate rules governing the actions of men and women for the same crime.

Welcome to the world where the law is just simply unfair and unjust. You'd think it would take just 5 seconds to pass a bill stating that until proven guilty you have every right to anonymity in court.

Well the rules aren't different. If a woman penetrates someone with her penis, she can be accused of rape. :tongue:
Original post by Wick3d
Welcome to the world where the law is just simply unfair and unjust. You'd think it would take just 5 seconds to pass a bill stating that until proven guilty you have every right to anonymity in court.

No bureaucratic system is perfect, but I agree with you.

Well the rules aren't different. If a woman penetrates someone with her penis, she can be accused of rape. :tongue:

Haha! Now that would be an weird/interesting court case...
Just because the court say he's innocent it doesn't mean they're right. Plenty of innocent people are in prisons around the world and plenty of guilty people get away scot-free. Just saying.
Reply 17
Original post by Dude Where's My Username
Story

Question in title. I will with hold my opinion for now so as not to prejudice opinions right at the beginning

Yeah remember that weird bloke who got arrested for suspision of killing that lady. He had white fuzzy hair and was eccentric. His eccentricity made him the ultimate suspect but was later cleared.
Reply 18
Original post by Blue Rose
Just because the court say he's innocent it doesn't mean they're right. Plenty of innocent people are in prisons around the world and plenty of guilty people get away scot-free. Just saying.

Yeah, but you have to have faith in the outcome of trials otherwise the whole system starts to fall apart. Miscarriages of justice in this country these days are rare.

He's been found innocent by a jury and should be treat as such.
Reply 19
What about cases where the naming of the accusant has given victims the confidence to come forward and testify, like Jimmy Saville?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending