The Student Room Group

Just started college, Want to do Computer Science in uni

Hi, I recently started college last week. With the profession I want to go in to involving programming and more I decided to pick these 4 As levels.

Maths/Use of maths offered

Physics

Computing

Sociology

The only problem is that I am struggling in Physics due to a lack of understanding in the introduction classes, I also don't exactly enjoy it too. I know that Physics would be good for Computer Science but i simply don't think it's possible that i could do well. I have the option to change Physics to another A level, My college doesn't have the biggest amount of courses and I was thinking about these courses to replace it.

Accounting

Psychology

Business studies ? Maybe

I am slightly drawn to Psychology as I can see myself enjoying it however will Maths and computing be ok in regards to going to university to study Computer science, And if it will be detrimental, how badly? Furthermore the way the maths works in my college is that after an induction they ask you which course you would like, maths or Use of maths, they have been saying that Use of maths is still great for applying to university, But just a few days ago I saw this article about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8143060.stm#story

I would just like recommendations from those who have been in my position or have more knowledge than I do. Thanks

Important GCSE grades?

English A
Maths B
Physics B

TLDR - want to do computing, which choice is the best, Will universitys accept Use of maths instead of normal maths?
Reply 1
Use of maths is a lesser version of the full blown a-level maths subject. As to whether or not it is accepted probably varies from institutions, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be accepted by the Russell group unis as they prefer maths and/or further maths. Out of the A-Levels you've chosen maths would be the best to get you on a respected computer science course; physics looks good but not as good as maths, if you think the extra effort you would put into physics would lower your maths grade then swap it for something else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by iisjman07
Use of maths is a lesser version of the full blown a-level maths subject. As to whether or not it is accepted probably varies from institutions, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be accepted by the Russell group unis as they prefer maths and/or further maths. Out of the A-Levels you've chosen maths would be the best to get you on a respected computer science course; physics looks good but not as good as maths, if you think the extra effort you would put into physics would lower your maths grade then swap it for something else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the the reply, I would like to potentially go to Manchester university which is in the Russell group of unis, I will see how I stand when I've been doing the course for a month or two. And Good, I do think it would be a lot of work in the limited time I have to do well in physics so I should probably change it, Does it matter what I pick? I like the lesson type of psychology a lot and so I may choose that.
Reply 3
Original post by Eybrowz
Thanks for the the reply, I would like to potentially go to Manchester university which is in the Russell group of unis, I will see how I stand when I've been doing the course for a month or two. And Good, I do think it would be a lot of work in the limited time I have to do well in physics so I should probably change it, Does it matter what I pick? I like the lesson type of psychology a lot and so I may choose that.

Maths will be the most important. Computing isn't all that important to good uni's; they know that most of the computing courses at high schools are pretty pathetic. It probably wouldn't make much difference between the three (Accounting, Psychology, Business studies) so I'd choose the one in which you think you'd be able to get the highest grade in.

Quick Reply

Latest