The Student Room Group
i was wondering that too! i think i am going to go for one biological and one psychological explanation though just to be sure!
I'd say theyre more like being all the one explanation. Although another useful psychological explanation which is really easy to understand is the 'labelling theory' by Scheff.
Reply 3
I have a similar query. If the question says "list 2 or more explanations", do we have to list EVERY SINGLE explanation from psychological and biological, or like just one from each?
Reply 4
If the question asks to discuss 2 explanations of schizophrenia you can either discuss 2 psychological explanations or 2 biological explanations or one of each. Hope this is helpfull. It looks likely to come up!
I'd say two from each. You dont need to mention them all. What i would do is outline and evaluate one psychological explanation in detail ie: family relationships, and another psychological one in less detail ie: labelling theory. Then i would do the exact same for biological (1 in detail, 1 in less detail), just so that your answer contains enough breadth and depth.

Hope that helps... Probably doesnt make sense though lol!
Reply 6
That helped a million. I was panicking because I thought they wanted us to outline 3 from Bio and 3 from Psych in 40 minutes. Cheers guys!
Reply 7
Just wondering what the labelling theory is!! Nothing even written about that in the Collins Psychology For A2 Level book!.. Is that theory basically to do with more lower class people likely to develop schizophrenia than upper class because of added/more stressors(i.e. lack of money, need for food etc.)?
Reply 8
Laing(1967) proposed another model of schizophrenia.

The conspirational model maintains that schizophrenia is a label, a form of violence perpetrated by some people on another. The family, GP, psychiatrists etc conspire against the schizophrenic in order to preserve their definition of reality. They treat schizophrenics as if they were sick and imprison them in a mental hospital, where they're degraded and invalidated as human beings.

Did anybody study this?
Yea. Basically what it is, is that social groups create the concept of psychiatric deviance by constructing rules for group members to follow. If our behaviour doesnt follow these rules, then the schizophrenic label may be applied. It then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy (Comer at al). U cud always add it in at the end of ur essay as an additional point!

Hope that helps!

Latest

Trending

Trending