The Student Room Group

A-Level decisions, mental breakdown!

I am going mental over this decision, and am in dire need of help! Basically, i have no definite plans for my future in terms of what i am going to study, but am keen on going to university. I have a strong interest in Computing, (forensic computing). However i cannot decide on my 4 A-Levels/AS levels, which currently are: Mathematics, Physics, Computing and Psycology.

The only A Level i am concerned about is Maths. I understand it is one of the most renowned a-levels, which all university's adore... But i have no interest in it at all, unless it is computer based. I only just scraped an A at GCSE grade, and A-Level is a huge challenge for me mentally and physically, and i see no point struggling for 2 years on a subject i do not enjoy!

From what i have gathered from the UCAS website, university's which offer computing and computer forensics/computer science do not ALWAYS require maths, as many ask for "Maths and/or Computer Science" or "Maths and/or 1 science A-Level" with a requirement of 280-300 UCAS points (which is achievable). So my question is, should i spend the next 2 years of my life studying a subject which i do not enjoy or mentally comprehend, in order to achieve a well renowned A-Level? Or do i simply follow my heart and choose a subject such as business which is more relevant to myself and future career prospects, whilst also being able to enjoy what i study?

Any help is appreciated!
Reply 1
I want to study computer science at university and i find the ALOT of universities would like you to study Maths at A level as a requirement.
not doing maths will limit your choices of universities.

Its up to you if you hate Maths that much then target universities that dont ask for it.

Quick Reply

Latest