The Student Room Group

Phys/Astro Personal Statement Question

So I have a bunch of references to astronomy and cosmology in my UCAS personal statement (e.g. books about cosmology), rather than physics, as those are my main interests. My question is, are these references okay if I'm applying for a "Physics" course rather than "Physics with Astronomy"? My guess is that it's probably fine, as they're subsets of physics, but I could be wrong, anyone have experience with this issue?

I know that the content of most of these courses overlap heavily, but should I refer explicitly to physics in a physics P.S? Has anyone applied for both "Physics" and "Physics with Astronomy"/"Physics with Astrophysics" degrees?
Reply 1
I applied to 4 top unis with two being "Physics" one "Physics with Astronomy" and one "Astrophysics" and got offers from them all. In my PS I just stated having had a keen interest in physics and astronomy since being a child and named a favorite author (Michio Kaku) and stated keeping up to date with recent topic by frequenting news websites such as PhysicsWorld and New Scientist.

The main thing is spelling, punctuation, grammar and a generally good level of English, next is showing how enthusiastic about the subject you are (in my opinion) and then conveying determination to succeed and also your skills and competency at being able to cope with university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending