The Student Room Group

Economics degree - A Level Subjects

Hi so I want to do an Economics degree.

Is Maths,Further Maths,Chemistry and Biology to A2 okay to do.

I got ACDDD at AS,
A=Maths
C=General Studies(compulsory)
D=Eng Lit, Physics,Chemistry

So now if I get the option I will do A2 Maths this year and also do AS Bio,Chem and FM.

Are these subjects relevant for an Economics degree?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, but wouldn't it be sensible to do economics instead of a science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Incredimazing
Yes, but wouldn't it be sensible to do economics instead of a science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the class is full up, do you think they would let me do Economics at AS as well?

Or what should I do it instead of.
Reply 4
General studies isn't accepted at the top universities. I'd take Maths, Further maths, and economics if i could go back in time. However, as long as you achieve good grades many universities will not mind however taking economics is very strongly recommended.
Original post by Ben_K
General studies isn't accepted at the top universities. I'd take Maths, Further maths, and economics if i could go back in time. However, as long as you achieve good grades many universities will not mind however taking economics is very strongly recommended.

Ok thank you :smile:
Reply 6
I would recommend Maths, Economics, Physics and Further Maths (Only as 4th option, not 3rd). I made the wrong AS choices so now I'm stuck with studying 4A2s and 1AS all in my A2 year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by w77
I would recommend Maths, Economics, Physics and Further Maths (Only as 4th option, not 3rd). I made the wrong AS choices so now I'm stuck with studying 4A2s and 1AS all in my A2 year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right I am going to do A2 Maths,FM,Chemistry, but take an AS in Biology/Economics.

I think I would do better at Biology but should I do Economics instead, thanks.

Good luck :smile:)))
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
[QUOTE=Destiel I got an A* in Biology at GCSE with pretty good unit marks and ended with an E (aka scraping a pass) at AS, so I would be cautious with that one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Yeah I would be cautious with Biology. Personally, I hated it. I got an A* at GCSE with high unit marks then got an E at AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by w77
Yeah I would be cautious with Biology. Personally, I hated it. I got an A* at GCSE with high unit marks then got an E at AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right. Thnx for the advice. Are you going to retake the Bio or just drop it?
Reply 11
I have dropped it already, it was absolutely vile. I have more than enough on my plate this year, especially with 5 subjects AND UCAS applications.
Original post by w77
I have dropped it already, it was absolutely vile. I have more than enough on my plate this year, especially with 5 subjects AND UCAS applications.

ah right. I wish you all the best :smile:
Original post by w77

Posted from TSR Mobile

You currently at A2? What Subjects did you take and are now doing?
Technically you don't need economics to actually do economics, you just need maths so doing further maths is a bonus really! You can check with Oxfords entrance requirements for Economics it clearly states that doing Economics A level is just optional whereas Maths is required.

Here is a link if you scroll down to economics you will see that they only require maths and not an Economics A level

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/table.html
Reply 15
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
You currently at A2? What Subjects did you take and are now doing?

Yeah, I am. At AS, I took maths, econ, bio, photog, Chinese. In my A2 year ATM, I have dropped bio, kept the other 4 to A2 AND started further maths at AS level.
Reply 16
Original post by Sapphire123
Technically you don't need economics to actually do economics, you just need maths so doing further maths is a bonus really! You can check with Oxfords entrance requirements for Economics it clearly states that doing Economics A level is just optional whereas Maths is required.

Here is a link if you scroll down to economics you will see that they only require maths and not an Economics A level

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/table.html

Yes, you may not NEED it but the majority of people applying for the course will have it therefore putting you at a slight disadvantage. Also Oxford only offer Economics and Management, but not pure Economics.
Original post by w77
Yeah, I am. At AS, I took maths, econ, bio, photog, Chinese. In my A2 year ATM, I have dropped bio, kept the other 4 to A2 AND started further maths at AS level.

Ok, just wondering why A Level Physics in particular?
Reply 18
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Ok, just wondering why A Level Physics in particular?

Physics is very intense and is full of maths and mechanics. It has the best link with Economics out of the 3 sciences. Although I would find it extremely unenjoyable (I have hated Physics all my life), many Physics grads get top end economic and finance related jobs (especially in the investment banks).
Original post by w77
Physics is very intense and is full of maths and mechanics. It has the best link with Economics out of the 3 sciences. Although I would find it extremely unenjoyable (I have hated Physics all my life), many Physics grads get top end economic and finance related jobs (especially in the investment banks).

Oh alright, it's just that the subjects you mentioned are the exact ones I'm doing so I was curious :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest