The Student Room Group

Do I need to take Further Maths?

Hi all, this is my first post on TSR, and I've just got a few questions for anyone who's been through the same thing I'm going through.
Currently, I study at a grammar school Sixth Form after getting 9A*s and 4As for my AS Levels, and took Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Spanish.
I live a fair way from my school, and so don't have as much time as I would like during the week to commit to my studies. As I've opted to take Further Maths, I've only got 4 free periods a fortnight, and so I'm starting to slip behind already in certain subjects.
My plan is to go to either Cambridge or Imperial to study Biochemistry, and I know that I need the best grades possible to get into them, so I was wondering, from your personal experiences, is it necessary to study Further Maths to do such a course there?
I personally think that if I dropped FM, I could concentrate more on my other subjects and hopefully improve my chances of getting into a top university.
Thanks a lot in advance
Original post by BSadler97
Hi all, this is my first post on TSR, and I've just got a few questions for anyone who's been through the same thing I'm going through.
Currently, I study at a grammar school Sixth Form after getting 9A*s and 4As for my AS Levels, and took Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Spanish.
I live a fair way from my school, and so don't have as much time as I would like during the week to commit to my studies. As I've opted to take Further Maths, I've only got 4 free periods a fortnight, and so I'm starting to slip behind already in certain subjects.
My plan is to go to either Cambridge or Imperial to study Biochemistry, and I know that I need the best grades possible to get into them, so I was wondering, from your personal experiences, is it necessary to study Further Maths to do such a course there?
I personally think that if I dropped FM, I could concentrate more on my other subjects and hopefully improve my chances of getting into a top university.
Thanks a lot in advance

Of course you don't need to Further Maths, of course you don't need to study Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Spanish, of course you don't need to go to sixth form, of course you don't need an education, of course you don't need to breathe and of course you don't need to live.

But wouldn't it be nice to though? Wouldn't it be nice to pick up a subject just simply for the love of it?

If you think you will enjoy the subject, then take it! Otherwise, leave it well alone because clearly getting into a good university is so much more important than enriching your knowledge.
Reply 2
I say drop Spanish
Reply 3
It isn't like that at all. It's just always been my aspiration to continue into higher education because I love learning about new things. And I think that the best places for me to learn about these things are the top universities in the field that I love the most. I've taken my subjects because I wanted to, not because I had to. I just wanted some advice. I just wasn't too sure whether it was worth sacrificing FM so that I can focus on other subjects that I enjoy more.

Quick Reply

Latest