The Student Room Group

Should I retake Unit 2 biology?

I got 113/120 ums in Unit 1 (Very high A)
I got 79/120 ums in Unit 2 (Mid C)
I got 52/60 ums in Unit 3 (Solid A).

I was getting As and high Bs in all the past papers for unit 2, so I underperformed hugely in the exam. I know for a fact I could have done much better in unit 2.

Should I retake it or should I just focus on the A2 units?

Reason for wanting to retake = I know I can do better! I was getting As in past papers so I underperformed hugely in the exam. AS units are easier than A2 so I would gain more ums marks to contribute to my overall grade. Just in case I slip up on one of the A2 units (hopefully not), I might have a couple of extra ums to save me.

Reasons for not wanting to retake = A2 is difficult so I should really be focusing on the new content and trying to learn that and smashing those exams. I really want an A*, so AS units don't really matter anymore because I already got an A at AS.

I already have 7 exams in May/June so I will have 8 if I retake.
Reply 1
It's a difficult descision, im thinking of doing the same. Have you thought about getting it remarked? If it's uncharacteristic of you then perhaps there was a marking error?
Reply 2
Original post by flowtjo
It's a difficult descision, im thinking of doing the same. Have you thought about getting it remarked? If it's uncharacteristic of you then perhaps there was a marking error?

I compared answers with friends after the exam and I remember feeling terrible. I also looked at the mark scheme a couple of weeks after the exam and I found over 20 mistakes out of 80. So I knew my chances of getting an A were zero and chances of a B weren't very likely since the examiner would probably spot more mistakes. So in all honesty, I don't think a remark would change anything.

I am leaning towards retaking but then I don't want to spread myself thin. It is so hard!

Anyone else?
Reply 3
Original post by letsbehonest
I got 113/120 ums in Unit 1 (Very high A)
I got 79/120 ums in Unit 2 (Mid C)
I got 52/60 ums in Unit 3 (Solid A).

I was getting As and high Bs in all the past papers for unit 2, so I underperformed hugely in the exam. I know for a fact I could have done much better in unit 2.

Should I retake it or should I just focus on the A2 units?

Reason for wanting to retake = I know I can do better! I was getting As in past papers so I underperformed hugely in the exam. AS units are easier than A2 so I would gain more ums marks to contribute to my overall grade. Just in case I slip up on one of the A2 units (hopefully not), I might have a couple of extra ums to save me.

Reasons for not wanting to retake = A2 is difficult so I should really be focusing on the new content and trying to learn that and smashing those exams. I really want an A*, so AS units don't really matter anymore because I already got an A at AS.

I already have 7 exams in May/June so I will have 8 if I retake.

I think your reasons for not retaking are very strong, really. It would be a significant amount more stress, time, effort, etc to do it.

On the other hand, this exam may be at a different time to all of your others so you may have long enough to recharge and revise between that and your A2s. But I think it ultimately comes down to whether you think you're likely to at least get an A overall.

Quick Reply

Latest