The Student Room Group

Doing a year abroad (studying) in USA/Canada?

Hi I'm starting an Aero Engineering course at Loughborough this year, and am interested in the possibility of studying in America/Canada for a full year/semester at some point over the duration of my course...

I've looked up information regarding this but was a bit confused by the section about fees... Can anybody clear up what I'd have to pay/if I have to pay fees upfront/if student finance can fund a potential year abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AVB
Hi I'm starting an Aero Engineering course at Loughborough this year, and am interested in the possibility of studying in America/Canada for a full year/semester at some point over the duration of my course...

I've looked up information regarding this but was a bit confused by the section about fees... Can anybody clear up what I'd have to pay/if I have to pay fees upfront/if student finance can fund a potential year abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there.

First of all, I don't really understand your situation here. Are you planning to:

1) do an international exchange, or;
2) transfer to another university in the U.S. or Canada?

I'm assuming you are referring to an international exchange. In this case, it will depend on the bilateral agreements Loughborough University has with American and Canadian universities in your discipline. It will be best to start as soon as possible, as this will be a long process and will take up a lot of your time. You should check with your university to look for an orientation session and see which universities allow you to bring back course equivalencies in the UK. If you are looking for an international exchange, then you will pay your tuition fees to Loughborough University and not to the institution that you will be going to for exchange.

If you are transferring to another university, then you will have to pay to the university upfront without any possibility of student loans in the country of your choice. This means you will have to be financially prepared if you are transferring to a North American university, whether it is a loan from your bank, financial assistance from your parents, or a part-time job while you are studying (which you will require a work permit if you are working off-campus and difficult to find a job).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending