The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by dtwolves
The parabola C has parametric equations x=12t^2, y=24t. The focus to C is at point S.

I have found the cartesian equation to be y^2=48x. Also, I figured the point S is (12,0). The equation of the directrix is therefore x+12=0

The next part of the question states: Point P lies on C. P is 28 units from S. Find the exact coordinates of P.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Use the formula for the distance between two points=(x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2 using the point a as (a,b) and you should be able to simplify an equation that you form using y^2=48x which should give you two values for a but the negative only exists on the complex plane so you will have one value for a and 2 values for b due to the positive and negative roots of a number.
Reply 161
From what I've done of FM, it doesn't seem all that hard. C1 is gcse, m1 is fsmq and S1 is KS3. Of course, I haven't done any FP modules, so it may yet get interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 162
1 hw.jpg

Can someone show me how to do this please
Original post by h94k
1 hw.jpg

Is this even in the syllabus? You can either do this by induction which is in the FP1 syllabus however it specifically states do this by expanding (1+x)n(1+x)^n so... but here it is anyways.
Well basically you can express 2n2^n as (1+1)n(1+1)^n this then when you use the binomial expansion it becomes 1+(n1)+(n2)+...+11+\displaystyle \binom{n}{1}+\displaystyle \binom{n}{2}+...+1 and (n0)\displaystyle \binom{n}{0} and (nn)\displaystyle \binom{n}{n} both = to 1 therefore (nk)=2n\displaystyle \binom{n}{k}=2^n
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 164
Original post by Trouty97
From what I've done of FM, it doesn't seem all that hard. C1 is gcse, m1 is fsmq and S1 is KS3. Of course, I haven't done any FP modules, so it may yet get interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The start of C1 is GCSE but really most of it is top level GCSE and there are still 3 A-Level topics on Edexcel(series, differentiation and integration).S1 is KS3 really it can't be that easy-it looks easier than Mechanics but still looks hard.You did M1 in FSMQ-I thought these kinds of things generally focussed on Pure Maths-my Further Maths IGCSE was pretty much Further Pure Maths IGCSE.It would have been very useful to do some Mechanics in Year 11 and by that I mean proper Mechanics(the stuff in Physics Unit 2 is much much easier than Mechanics 1).I am finding M1 really difficult-it would be handy if you could share some tips and tell me how you manage to factor in all the different things that are going on like Friction,Slopes etc-it often is too much for me and I make mistakes.
Reply 165
Original post by Dalek1099
The start of C1 is GCSE but really most of it is top level GCSE and there are still 3 A-Level topics on Edexcel(series, differentiation and integration).S1 is KS3 really it can't be that easy-it looks easier than Mechanics but still looks hard.You did M1 in FSMQ-I thought these kinds of things generally focussed on Pure Maths-my Further Maths IGCSE was pretty much Further Pure Maths IGCSE.It would have been very useful to do some Mechanics in Year 11 and by that I mean proper Mechanics(the stuff in Physics Unit 2 is much much easier than Mechanics 1).I am finding M1 really difficult-it would be handy if you could share some tips and tell me how you manage to factor in all the different things that are going on like Friction,Slopes etc-it often is too much for me and I make mistakes.

Read the question over and over again. Friction always counteracts what the question says the object is about to do. Ie if it's about to slip down the slope, friction will push up. You get used to them after a while and they just become repetitive

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Reply 166
Original post by adi19956
Read the question over and over again. Friction always counteracts what the question says the object is about to do. Ie if it's about to slip down the slope, friction will push up. You get used to them after a while and they just become repetitive

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I think some of the problem is reading the question-sometimes I just absorb the fact its in equilibrium but not which way and presume I know and I think it would help if I fully go over what is happening in my head-once I just assumed an object would fall straight down the slope when a force is removed so friction would act upwards but actually it would need to decelerate first and stop near the top of the slope and then fall down so friction would act downwards at first.Sometimes I don't pick up key details like for a pulley questions where there are tow masses 3kg and m<3kg and the question didn't tell you which way the pulley would go.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 167
Original post by h94k
1 hw.jpg

It's just the binomial theorem with x = 1. (Isn't this C1 or C2?)
Reply 168
Original post by davros
It's just the binomial theorem with x = 1. (Isn't this C1 or C2?)

Its quite a difficult question and I only just understand now so I wouldn't say it was a C1 or C2 question even though once you understand what the question is asking it is really easy.In C1 or C2 it is very rare to involve proofs and is using just expand (1+4x)^n etc
Whats wrong with it being C1 or C2 most people on here are just starting Maths AS and Further Maths AS.I think that you might have been talking about the fact that it should have been on the other thread because Bionomial Expansion is a C1-C4 topic I believe-I don't think it comes up in Further Maths I might be wrong though.
Reply 169
Original post by Dalek1099
Its quite a difficult question and I only just understand now so I wouldn't say it was a C1 or C2 question even though once you understand what the question is asking it is really easy.In C1 or C2 it is very rare to involve proofs and is using just expand (1+4x)^n etc
Whats wrong with it being C1 or C2 most people on here are just starting Maths AS and Further Maths AS.I think that you might have been talking about the fact that it should have been on the other thread because Bionomial Expansion is a C1-C4 topic I believe-I don't think it comes up in Further Maths I might be wrong though.

I wasn't complaining about it being posted in this thread - I just put the remark in brackets partly because I genuinely didn't know which module the topic belonged in, partly to try to trigger a memory on the part of the question poster who I was hoping would recognize the topic with a bit of prompting. It wasn't a criticism in any way :smile:
Reply 170
Hey guys, loving furthur at the moment! Currently studying OCR FP1 and S1 and in normal maths C1. Good luck everyone!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whoever is doing FP1 on OCR, could you help me out with question 4 on Misc 4, it really is hard lol
As this thread now basically has the same purpose as the Mega Maths A-Level thread, I'm now closing this thread. Please use the Mega A-Level Maths Thread instead from now on.

Thanks! :smile:

Latest