The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Physics and Philosophy Application for Bristol advice needed!

Hiya,

I'm taking a gap year and am applying to Bristol with AAB for physics and philosophy.

Their entry requirements are AAB, however it is a very competitive course and there are many people that apply with higher predicted grades. Does anyone have advice to make my application strong/ and also what are my chances of getting in?

Thanks
Original post by ab04
Hiya,

I'm taking a gap year and am applying to Bristol with AAB for physics and philosophy.

Their entry requirements are AAB, however it is a very competitive course and there are many people that apply with higher predicted grades. Does anyone have advice to make my application strong/ and also what are my chances of getting in?

Thanks

Bristol give some pretty clear advice about what they're looking for:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/physics/courses/undergraduate/undergraduate-admissions-statement.pdf
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/philosophy/prospective/undergrad/admissions.html
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2

Thanks, I've already read both of those pages. Although, I was hoping for a reply from someone who has had a similar experience...
Reply 3
What are your predicted grades/ A2 grades? I am applying for the same course and have similar concerns!
Reply 4
Original post by kishan29
What are your predicted grades/ A2 grades? I am applying for the same course and have similar concerns!

heya! yes ill be applying with AAB, what about you? and which unis are you applying to?
Reply 5
AAB, Maths, Further Maths, Physics
Bristol, Kings, York, Nottingham, Leeds
Reply 6
Original post by kishan29
AAB, Maths, Further Maths, Physics
Bristol, Kings, York, Nottingham, Leeds

ohh ok cool! good luck then!
im applying to bristol, york, leeds, sheffield and sussex
Reply 7
It's roughly 1 applicant for every 5 or 6 places.

If you've read the online pages, then I guess it's just about a really good personal statement. What are you planning on doing in your gap year? Doing something relevant to your course and/or a little relevant and making it link will help show you did something useful with your gap year. Travelling can be made to link with Philosophy, work/work experience can be relevant to Physics if it's the same field, and if you're doing neither of those then at least do some taster courses or week-long camp type courses in either subject. Obviously you won't have done these yet, but you can write about your plans briefly.

The thing is, they will be applying with higher predicted grades than your grades, but you still have every equal chance as you have already achieved their requirements. With you, they will see you meet their requirements and (hopefully) see your good application and offer you an unconditional no problem. With others, sure they might have A*AA predictions but there's no saying they will get it. I don't know if that makes sense but what Im trying to say is don't worry about the 6th formers applying, as they have a different type of application. Don't compare yourself to them too much.
Reply 8
Original post by lou_100
It's roughly 1 applicant for every 5 or 6 places.

If you've read the online pages, then I guess it's just about a really good personal statement. What are you planning on doing in your gap year? Doing something relevant to your course and/or a little relevant and making it link will help show you did something useful with your gap year. Travelling can be made to link with Philosophy, work/work experience can be relevant to Physics if it's the same field, and if you're doing neither of those then at least do some taster courses or week-long camp type courses in either subject. Obviously you won't have done these yet, but you can write about your plans briefly.

The thing is, they will be applying with higher predicted grades than your grades, but you still have every equal chance as you have already achieved their requirements. With you, they will see you meet their requirements and (hopefully) see your good application and offer you an unconditional no problem. With others, sure they might have A*AA predictions but there's no saying they will get it. I don't know if that makes sense but what Im trying to say is don't worry about the 6th formers applying, as they have a different type of application. Don't compare yourself to them too much.

Thank you, that was very helpful!
I have lots of to put on my personal statement previous experiences for physics- reading, lectures, taster courses, going to CERN, competitions etc.
On my gap year im attending a weekly philosophy group, and then I'm going travelling. I'm also completing a maths course.
Do you think this is enough?
Reply 9
Hey - I'm hoping you guys all got into your PhysPhil courses?

I'm applying for PhysPhil MSc this year and was wondering what you're experience with PhysPhil have been like? At the moment, Nottingham is my first choice but I have an applicant day at Bristol later in the week. I'm thinking of cancelling because I'm not too sure I want to study at Bristol?

Is anyone studying at Bristol or have you got any advice about a PhysPhil degree?

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending