The Student Room Group

can i take textiles at alevel if i want to apply for architecture?

I am currently deciding my a level choices and Im unsure about take textiles as an a level instead or Art and Design,I enjoy textiles more and therefore I want to do it instead of art but I am unsure if universitys will accept textiles instead of art for Architecture?
Reply 1
Do art to be safe, or do both? :smile:
Reply 2
I find Art very challenging though
can you not do art and take textiles-y approach to it? doing art would probably make drawing tasks you may be set by universities slightly easier, and give you more of a varied portfolio. that said, i remember one girl asking on several open days if it was okay that she did textiles and not art and i think they said it was fine - though obviously it depends on the university :smile:
if you're that worried, you could always contact specific universities and ask them :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by riyajoseph
I find Art very challenging though

I just don't think textiles will prepare you. Architecture is tough, what other alevels are you doing?
Reply 5
Yeah I understand :smile: And its Maths,Physics and Business studies
Reply 6
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
can you not do art and take textiles-y approach to it? doing art would probably make drawing tasks you may be set by universities slightly easier, and give you more of a varied portfolio. that said, i remember one girl asking on several open days if it was okay that she did textiles and not art and i think they said it was fine - though obviously it depends on the university :smile:
if you're that worried, you could always contact specific universities and ask them :smile:

I feel like I might be able to get a better grade in textiles which could be important as the grade requirements are very high :smile: Yes I think a few of them do accept it but I'm worried if its worth the risk
Reply 7
Yeah I understand :smile: And its Maths,Physics and Business studies

Yeah maths and physics would look really good. I suppose if you did textiles just make sure your portfolio shows a lot of technical drawing ability. The only issue is , is that a-levels is very prescribed. It's very much a tick the box system, so your tutor might not have the encouragement or aid you in learning to draw. Maybe do drawing classes outside of a-levels?
(edited 10 years ago)
I feel like I might be able to get a better grade in textiles which could be important as the grade requirements are very high :smile: Yes I think a few of them do accept it but I'm worried if its worth the risk

if you think you'll do better in textiles, then by all means go ahead and do it :smile: i guess it comes down to what sort of course you were looking for - more technical/more artistic - a lot of the more technical courses request an art a level but no portfolio so you could potentially be limiting yourself, but i think some request portfolios from applicants without art a level :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by GPH92
Yeah maths and physics would look really good. I suppose if you did textiles just make sure your portfolio shows a lot of technical drawing ability. The only issue is , is that a-levels is very prescribed. It's very much a tick the box system, so your tutor might not have the encouragement or aid you in learning to draw. Maybe do drawing classes outside of a-levels?

I'm scared if taking textiles might be too much of a risk though,I haven't done it at GCSE so would I struggle to cope at a level?
Reply 10
I am currently deciding my a level choices and Im unsure about take textiles as an a level instead or Art and Design,I enjoy textiles more and therefore I want to do it instead of art but I am unsure if universitys will accept textiles instead of art for Architecture?

What sort of places offer drawing lessons,do you know?:smile:
Reply 11
What sort of places offer drawing lessons,do you know?:smile:

It depends on where you're based, normally FE colleges and art universities do them. Community halls sometimes hold drawing lessons and craft lessons. It just depends on your location. If you're in london/close to london it would be easy to find loads.

Quick Reply

Latest