The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kr17
....oh, is it from Marks & Spencer ?.....If it is, then don't be too sad .....you're not alone in grief.....i also just received their voice mail saying that "I failed in the role play..." ....just think positive....at least you got a chance to work there !...so you're in a better condition than me !!!:frown::frown::frown:

Sorry to hear that, i dont know why they didnt tell you that on the day instead of making you wait. Still got your debenhams interview so chin up.
Reply 2781
I worked over xmas for m&s just restocking the cards and wrapping paper etc, only ever dis one day on the tills. Last week i got a call from them saying they had a space come up in the bureau de change and would i like it - i said yes and within 5 days i was on my first day!

Does anyone else here have experience of the bureau? All my colleagues are nice, but i am finding the explanation of the system and paperwork very difficult and i am very concerned i won't meet the required standard. Also all the folders and wallets and pouches and whatnot are utterly untidy, unclear and old and falling to pieces and this only serves to make everything more confusing.
Help!
I have an interview for a cafe assistant role there next week?
Any advice??
Reply 2783
I had an instore assessment yesterday, it was a role play and one-to-one discussion. Just wanted to say that even though some of this thread is quite old it's all relevant and great help for the interview. The role play I had to do was about the missing cake, it had been dispatched but not delivered to store, so I had to firstly apologise, say I'd try my hardest to find it (ringing round other stores, emailing inquiries), but ultimately ask questions such as how many are you catering for etc in order to suggest the best alternative. I was told not to worry about company policy so I offered a complimentary box of chocolates to say sorry again :tongue: it's all on a sheet for you so just make sure you stand up, smile, make eye contact, and make the customer happy. You get marked on that section and then should find out straight away if you pass. The second stage of the assessment is questions about yourself, your experience, why you want to work for M&S, an example of great customer care etc... practice some of the questions in this thread and you'll be fine they're just looking for you to be friendly and talkative :smile: I was told straight away I'd passed that too, and then filled out some paperwork, but personally what with exams coming up I can't take three days off sixth form for the induction, so now it's not looking very hopeful :frown:
Why do you ring around other stores?

So the lady can go to those stores and look for the cake or so you can have the cake from the store you called to your store?
Reply 2785
To see if by accident it's been delivered somewhere else local, the assessor will want you to talk through the other options in store though as they just want to get a feel for how you would interact with a customer :smile:
Original post by lpear
To see if by accident it's been delivered somewhere else local, the assessor will want you to talk through the other options in store though as they just want to get a feel for how you would interact with a customer :smile:

So what would happen after I said "Let me just check the computer to see it its been deliver anywhere local" ? How would I know what to say because Im obviously not going to be checking an actual computer. And by the way is this whole delievry option on a card?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi, I recently applied online for a temporary job at M&S simply foods. I passed the online assessment and have booked an assessment this Friday. I was just wondering as the job is temporary does anyone know how long it will be for? And whether there'll be a chance to make it permanent or extend it because I'd really like to do this.

Thanks
Reply 2788
Original post by jayseanfan
So what would happen after I said "Let me just check the computer to see it its been deliver anywhere local" ? How would I know what to say because Im obviously not going to be checking an actual computer. And by the way is this whole delievry option on a card?

Just say you can check it if needed but in the mean time can you see if you can find a suitable alternative - don't worry about it too much it will work much better if you just behave naturally :smile:

And kwright2713 the job I went for last week was temporary, but I asked at the interview and the contract was all the way up until Christmas!
Reply 2789
Marks is a great place to work! Im still waiting for the day they call me back as i was only a christmas temp. The interview is a relaxed process, just know the basic questions which everywhere asks.
Number one. "Why do you want to work for m&s?"
2. "What do you know about m&s?"
3. "What makes you suitable for working with customers?"
ect?
Answer everything with a smile and you're sorted!
They may do a wee role play exercise, which is fully explained to you, and is soo easy, the interviewer basically tells you what they are looking for and how to respond to certain situations!
Wish you luck!
Reply 2790
Hey, i have an assesment on wednesday for marksd and spencer i have a few questions;

They say on my email i have an assesment task and then afterwards i have a time where i get to speak to a current employee about the job etc. ask them anything i want it says. However not sure what to say in order to come across well.

I am male, so should i wear a suit, as i was about to go out and get one as i shirt and smart trousers to me looked wrong. Its ok to go in a suit isnt it?

And also it doesnt state what department i am in so is that assigned pending on getting the job, becuase if they ask about womens fashion or something i may choke.

Really nervous and i really want the job and want to come across well :smile:, any tips. Smile and be nice i suppose?
Original post by chocharl
Hey, i have an assesment on wednesday for marksd and spencer i have a few questions;

They say on my email i have an assesment task and then afterwards i have a time where i get to speak to a current employee about the job etc. ask them anything i want it says. However not sure what to say in order to come across well.

I am male, so should i wear a suit, as i was about to go out and get one as i shirt and smart trousers to me looked wrong. Its ok to go in a suit isnt it?

And also it doesnt state what department i am in so is that assigned pending on getting the job, becuase if they ask about womens fashion or something i may choke.

Really nervous and i really want the job and want to come across well :smile:, any tips. Smile and be nice i suppose?

Hey there chocharl,

I had an interview a week ago, you can go in a suit but me and some others I saw going for an assessment were just wearing smart shirt, trousers and tie (I wore a jacket cause it was raining), i don't think a full suit with blazer is necessary. Tips for the assessment is be friendly to the staff and smile when they take you in as they will probably be your interviewer, they will give you a few sheets with details about the roleplay. If the interviewer acts as the customer, just make sure to smile and act apologetic and offer all solutions possible to her problem (common sense also the interviewer will hint you in the right direction). Don't worry too much if nervous, i choked while in the roleplay and still got the job! also you get to choose from a selection of departments and shifts at the assessment if you pass (assuming there are still options left)

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 2792
Original post by Badman_Vegeta
Hey there chocharl,

I had an interview a week ago, you can go in a suit but me and some others I saw going for an assessment were just wearing smart shirt, trousers and tie (I wore a jacket cause it was raining), i don't think a full suit with blazer is necessary. Tips for the assessment is be friendly to the staff and smile when they take you in as they will probably be your interviewer, they will give you a few sheets with details about the roleplay. If the interviewer acts as the customer, just make sure to smile and act apologetic and offer all solutions possible to her problem (common sense also the interviewer will hint you in the right direction). Don't worry too much if nervous, i choked while in the roleplay and still got the job! also you get to choose from a selection of departments and shifts at the assessment if you pass (assuming there are still options left)

Best of luck :smile:

Hey thanks for the reply. Cleared a few things up for me. Was your roleplay the food cards like mentioned before or the wedding cake one, the latter is easier for me to understand. The food cards worry me abit :redface:
Reply 2793
Did not get mine as they marked me down for something stupid, and lost out by 1 mark. Absloutely fuming.

But they were very nice people
Reply 2794
I have worked now for about 8 weeks and was told today that I will receive a pay rise - any idea if there is a set rate for the first rise after such a short time? Thanks in advance.
Original post by hmmyes
I have worked now for about 8 weeks and was told today that I will receive a pay rise - any idea if there is a set rate for the first rise after such a short time? Thanks in advance.

I imagine you'll go up from £6.40 to £6.82? may be different dependent on location
Have you had your HHT training? That's the only reason I can think of that you'd get a rise that quickly...what did you start on?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2797
Hi guys
Does anyone know if marks and spencer give pay and a half on Sundays if your original contract is to work on Sunday?
Any help would be appreciated !
Reply 2798
Thanks for the replies. I started on 6.40 yes, and I am in the Bureaux de change if that makes a difference? I did some online tests, and went for a brief training session where I answered some questions but nothing more. Since starting I have just been working away and done several weeks with loads of over time as I was needed. Maybe because I have picked up the ropes fairly quickly..?
Original post by mmr
Hi guys
Does anyone know if marks and spencer give pay and a half on Sundays if your original contract is to work on Sunday?
Any help would be appreciated !

M&S only pay time and a half on Sundays if you started before October 2010, otherwise you only get time and a half now for bank holidays if you started after then.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending