The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blakestar
Doesn't look too bad! Is there a picture for the uniform for the Store Ops team? Hopefully it will still be polo shirts!

havent seen a picture but ive heard ops will still have polos
Reply 2841
Original post by Le Mans McQueen
Hey

I applied for a Marks and Spencers position online and answered all the questions, to reflect that I put the the store and the management first.

Yet I was rejected ! Successful candidates, do you have any pointers to share ?

Hint: M&S is all about customer service. Customers first.
Pay review has came in for next year and.... it's 2% for everyone! So it's 14p an hour extra for qualified customer assistants, 15p for coaches and 17p for section co's.

Didn't get told what the pay rise for trainee customer assistants was but I would imagine it would be similar.
Reply 2843
I've just had an interview at M&S and passed the role play (I had the budget office meal one). They said they are going to ring me next week (monday/tuesday) to organise a meeting with the manager. He said not to worry as he'll ask me a few simple questions and I should be able to pass it easily but I'm still a little worried can anybody tell me what happens now?
Original post by . .
I've just had an interview at M&S and passed the role play (I had the budget office meal one). They said they are going to ring me next week (monday/tuesday) to organise a meeting with the manager. He said not to worry as he'll ask me a few simple questions and I should be able to pass it easily but I'm still a little worried can anybody tell me what happens now?

They'll probably ask why do you want to work at M&S, do you have any experience, what is good customer service, travel arrangement (how far did you have to travel)...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 2845
Original post by Dee Leigh
They'll probably ask why do you want to work at M&S, do you have any experience, what is good customer service, travel arrangement (how far did you have to travel)...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830

I see okay. Thank you. I'm a little bit annoyed as to why they are making me come back to do this. Why couldn't they do this after my role play. It's costing me £16 to go there and back and I have very little money. :confused:
Reply 2846
The interview and role play is so easy! When I went for my interview I read through EVERY page on this thread - it give you tips and general knowledge of M&S. They gave me the job on the spot and I'm still here one year one with many privileges and responsibilities which I never knew I'd receive.

Working at M&S is honestly so good, I would just suggest to give it your ALL in the role play, this is the only thing they mark you on, ensure you're helping the customer ALWAYS.

:-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by . .
I see okay. Thank you. I'm a little bit annoyed as to why they are making me come back to do this. Why couldn't they do this after my role play. It's costing me £16 to go there and back and I have very little money. :confused:

They just introduced this stupid manager interview worked there in 2010 as xmas temp just did roleplay told there and then got the job and signed contract one of the easiest interview.
Reply 2848
Original post by chikane
They just introduced this stupid manager interview worked there in 2010 as xmas temp just did roleplay told there and then got the job and signed contract one of the easiest interview.

What do you mean only applicants applying for permanent positions get the manager interview aswell?
Original post by . .
What do you mean only applicants applying for permanent positions get the manager interview aswell?

I think if you were going for permanent job which was advertised online you'd have both roleplay and interview, but if you were going from temp to perm you'd get only an interview with the managers seeing as you've done the roleplay within 12 months.
But now they changed it for temps you get both roleplay and interview which to me they should have left it as it was cause usually you were there for 8 weeks then they tell you they aint keeping you on and they never bother calling again if there were any vacancies :rolleyes:.
One of the best companies to work for though treat you well, if you are permanent consider yourself lucky, good pay, benefits, nice staff, nice customers (sometimes) nice bonus.
Reply 2850
Original post by chikane
I think if you were going for permanent job which was advertised online you'd have both roleplay and interview, but if you were going from temp to perm you'd get only an interview with the managers seeing as you've done the roleplay within 12 months.
But now they changed it for temps you get both roleplay and interview which to me they should have left it as it was cause usually you were there for 8 weeks then they tell you they aint keeping you on and they never bother calling again if there were any vacancies :rolleyes:.
One of the best companies to work for though treat you well, if you are permanent consider yourself lucky, good pay, benefits, nice staff, nice customers (sometimes) nice bonus.

Yeah I've applied for a permanent contract. Will the manager just ask me the bog standard questions.
Why do you want to work here?
What do you think the job entails?
Stuff like that? Or will they put me in a scenario and ask me how I'll respond?

I know I've been reading up on it they seem very nice. :biggrin: And I'm very happy because the shifts are late night shifts which fits nicely with my university studying.

What sort of bonuses do you get?
Original post by . .
Yeah I've applied for a permanent contract. Will the manager just ask me the bog standard questions.
Why do you want to work here?
What do you think the job entails?
Stuff like that? Or will they put me in a scenario and ask me how I'll respond?

I know I've been reading up on it they seem very nice. :biggrin: And I'm very happy because the shifts are late night shifts which fits nicely with my university studying.

What sort of bonuses do you get?

I was gonna work there again xmas gone by but rejected it as i wanted something permanent instead of temporary but when i had my interview got bloody 20 questions thrown at me. Let me remember?
Why m&s
what do you know about m&s say **** bout plan a
what job will involve
How do you deal with angry customers
When you gave good customer service
What experience have you got that makes you good for the job
some of the questions were similar but phrased differently.
Cant remember as its been a year i would suggest inboxing the others who currently work there but i found it excessively long and felt interrogated but it should be the standard questions, just be confident (even if you arent and smile alot)

You get a bonus in april depending on how well the stores (in uk) done i heard its around £200 maybe more.
Reply 2852
Original post by chikane
I was gonna work there again xmas gone by but rejected it as i wanted something permanent instead of temporary but when i had my interview got bloody 20 questions thrown at me. Let me remember?
Why m&s
what do you know about m&s say **** bout plan a
what job will involve
How do you deal with angry customers
When you gave good customer service
What experience have you got that makes you good for the job
some of the questions were similar but phrased differently.
Cant remember as its been a year i would suggest inboxing the others who currently work there but i found it excessively long and felt interrogated but it should be the standard questions, just be confident (even if you arent and smile alot)

You get a bonus in april depending on how well the stores (in uk) done i heard its around £200 maybe more.

Oh okay thanks for the questions. :smile:
And sorry to hear you never got the job. Did you get a job somewhere else?

Up to £200 :eek: For each person?
Original post by . .
Oh okay thanks for the questions. :smile:
And sorry to hear you never got the job. Did you get a job somewhere else?

Up to £200 :eek: For each person?

Its okay, and lets say i picked the worst place to work (primark been there now for 9 months) its absolutely horrible but i needed experience which was longterm not just 8 weeks, its permanent whereas m&s wouldnt guarantee me a permanent job and i can work only weekends while at uni which i couldn't do at m&s and dont want my grades to be affected as that is more important but im leaving after i finish uni next june or maybe earlier..made me appreciate how awesome m&s were.
Yes each person :smile: i think sainsburys and tesco are the same too with bonuses.
Reply 2854
Original post by chikane
Its okay, and lets say i picked the worst place to work (primark been there now for 9 months) its absolutely horrible but i needed experience which was longterm not just 8 weeks, its permanent whereas m&s wouldnt guarantee me a permanent job and i can work only weekends while at uni which i couldn't do at m&s and dont want my grades to be affected as that is more important but im leaving after i finish uni next june or maybe earlier..made me appreciate how awesome m&s were.
Yes each person :smile: i think sainsburys and tesco are the same too with bonuses.

I've heard about primark. Stuff like they bully you into working more hours and awkward shifts. :eek:
Reply 2855
I work 8hrs a week to fit around A Levels and I've been there for 14 months now. This year I got a bonus of £50 - I wish I was getting £200!
Reply 2856
I'm on a 12hr contract but this week i've done 39hrs. :biggrin: Foods is the best place to work if you're after a lot of hours.

Next Sunday will be the final Sunday M&S open until 6pm. Although after about 5pm today not one customer came in.
Reply 2857
Original post by rhythmb
I'm on a 12hr contract but this week i've done 39hrs. :biggrin: Foods is the best place to work if you're after a lot of hours.

Next Sunday will be the final Sunday M&S open until 6pm. Although after about 5pm today not one customer came in.

Why is food the best place if you want a lot of hours?
Original post by sophusss
I work 8hrs a week to fit around A Levels and I've been there for 14 months now. This year I got a bonus of £50 - I wish I was getting £200!

lol they probably exaggerated but some said they got that amount but probably depends how many hours you work.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by . .
Why is food the best place if you want a lot of hours?

Cause its busier and theres lots more customers than on other departments, i worked on foods and enjoyed it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending