The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Black Cat
Hi Guys!

I have just completed the online application for Marks and Spencer and managed to be successful to be invited for an interview which I am happy with. What should I expect apart from role-play and competency questions would it be wise to research the company and prepare notes for the interview? Oh and my interview is tomorrow.

Any input?

Thanks.

yes you should, not notes but know and understand facts about m&s.. how they started etc and ALSO read my long message on this page or the last page
Original post by kizzz!
That was so helpful, thank you so much. Seems like you did everything right and more so I don't understand why you didn't get the job!!

I actually wasn't able to attend the interview so I rang them and they said that there would be more vacancies online at the end of the week so I would need to book onto one of them. I just wanna make sure that I'm prepared enough for the questions because I know I get nervous at times and my mind goes blank. Around how many questions did you get approximately? And also my biggest question...where on earth did you go when you first went into the store?! I had a snoop round my M&S at the weekend and couldn't for the life of me find the customer service desk

haha don't worry, its usually the collection desk if you collect anything online? but definitely ask a worker there where do I go for an interview, be polite and nice though - I was and the person I asked turned out to be the manager and she was impressed with how well mannered I was.
Original post by kizzz!
That was so helpful, thank you so much. Seems like you did everything right and more so I don't understand why you didn't get the job!!

I actually wasn't able to attend the interview so I rang them and they said that there would be more vacancies online at the end of the week so I would need to book onto one of them. I just wanna make sure that I'm prepared enough for the questions because I know I get nervous at times and my mind goes blank. Around how many questions did you get approximately? And also my biggest question...where on earth did you go when you first went into the store?! I had a snoop round my M&S at the weekend and couldn't for the life of me find the customer service desk

I think there was 8 or 12 questions, they're about customer service.. what dyou think your role would consist of? how would you provide it.. and MAYBE the most important question - what does M&S mean to you
Original post by Tbear46
All the temp jobs expire on the 27th. This is my third year and that is the date roughly, always the Saturday after Christmas. Some people certainly do get kept on, make sure you volunteer for extra hours etc.

That's weird mine and the girls I did my training with expires on the 10th jan15'

Posted fromTSR Mobile
Anyone had an interview with an M&S "Food to go" store. The stores are branded as an M&S store but actually run by a group called SSP. Should I still be expected to answer questions like why M&S?
Reply 4385
Can anyone tell me the cut off point for pay? I know pay is 10th of the month, but I need the cut off point so I can work out my first pay amount thanks.
Original post by Dubes
Can anyone tell me the cut off point for pay? I know pay is 10th of the month, but I need the cut off point so I can work out my first pay amount thanks.

It's usually the last Saturday of the month. Eg last month cut off was 25th
Hi! Does anyone know whether we get staff discount off Christmas Food to Order?
How do I go about getting one of my parents a discount card guys?
Anyone did this before with experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mahad1912
How do I go about getting one of my parents a discount card guys?
Anyone did this before with experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go to your staff office and ask for an additional card holder form.
Original post by Dr Tenacious
Go to your staff office and ask for an additional card holder form.

Thanks for your help.

Posted fromTSR Mobile
When you go for your induction tell them about these days, you might have some holidays that they'll be keen to get rid of - I've been on a temp contract for the past five months and they are keen for us to use all our holidays. They are sometimes really flexible so they might just accept holidays straight away or allow you to rearrange.
I have my induction on Monday and was thinking of wearing black jeans and a black jumper, do you guys think that's okay or should I wear 'smart' black trousers
Original post by demonarkia
Hello,

This may seem like a bit of a random question, but yesterday I attended an interview for a temporary Christmas vacancy and managed to get the job! My interviewer asked when I was able to start, so I said immediately as I have no other long-term commitments or another job. I signed the forms that needed to be signed and she said that my offer of employment and contract would arrive through the post in a few days. She also asked if there were any individual days I would be unable to work, and at the time, I didn't think there were, so I said no. I'm attending my induction days on Thursday and Friday.

Upon arriving home however, my mum informed me that there are two days I may not be able to attend, one being considerably important, due to pre-arranged plans. Seeing as I'd already agreed that I would "officially" start work this Saturday, my working days being Sundays, Saturdays, Thursdays and Fridays, I was just wondering whether it would be possible to call up the M&S recruitment line and ask whether it would be okay for me to start work this Sunday instead of Saturday, the day of which I can't attend, considering it was quite short notice and at the time I wasn't aware of any plans I had. The other day I may not be able to come in is next Thursday, but apart from those two days, I'm good to go.

Do you think they will accept this and able to work around this and reschedule my hours for those two days? I've heard M&S are quite flexible regarding their days and hours and it would be great if I could just get these two days off and make up for the hours on alternative days. Also, how would I go about doing this? Shall I call the store I'm working at, or the main recruitment line? Will they send me through to the appropriate person? What should I say?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Call the store and ask to speak to the person who recruited you or line manager if you know that person yet.

On my 2nd day of induction, I had to leave at 12:30pm as I had a lab practical at uni I couldn't miss. I told them that and they said it was okay and that I should come after I finished. I came straight back afterwards at 4pm and stayed till 6pm.

Posted fromTSR Mobile
Original post by ex-plore
I have my induction on Monday and was thinking of wearing black jeans and a black jumper, do you guys think that's okay or should I wear 'smart' black trousers

Keep it smart. You don't want to risk it mate.

Posted fromTSR Mobile
Original post by mahad1912
Keep it smart. You don't want to risk it mate.

Posted fromTSR Mobile

I think I will, I just wanted to be comfy :biggrin:
Hello, i have my interview for a customer assistant role in about 8 days and i was just wondering if anyone can help me with the role play and what it may be like. i know the whole be friendly apologetic and supply them with all the options given to you (ie offering to call another branch asking for the out of stock item, offering to order the items they wanted online ect) is there anything i also need to include. IM nervous but im also confident it'll go well any tips?

thank you x
Original post by randoms132
Hello, i have my interview for a customer assistant role in about 8 days and i was just wondering if anyone can help me with the role play and what it may be like. i know the whole be friendly apologetic and supply them with all the options given to you (ie offering to call another branch asking for the out of stock item, offering to order the items they wanted online ect) is there anything i also need to include. IM nervous but im also confident it'll go well any tips?

thank you x

You've got most of the things you need to do pinned down.

I'd just add that you should be yourself. Don't try to be someone else, it normally shows and doesn't leave a good impression on the interviewer.

Posted fromTSR Mobile
I just got a christmas temp job in Scotland at an M&S food, I'm 17.

Anyone know my hourly pay? I forgot to ask.
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
I just got a christmas temp job in Scotland at an M&S food, I'm 17.

Anyone know my hourly pay? I forgot to ask.

what was your role play like and how many/what questions did you get asked ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending