The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer

Scroll to see replies

I just got a job at m&s today and wondered what the sizing is like for uniforms??? I'm sort of bigger and ended up ordering a large in uniform but slightly regretting that now and worried if it doesn't fit I dunno what to do:/
I went to the second part of my interview on Monday and they said that I passed and that I have the job, then asked me for my phone number so they could contact me after they have sorted out which role would suit me best. A few days later now, they still haven't contacted me. How long should I wait?
Original post by Aimz2509
I just got a job at m&s today and wondered what the sizing is like for uniforms??? I'm sort of bigger and ended up ordering a large in uniform but slightly regretting that now and worried if it doesn't fit I dunno what to do:/
in my opinion i think that the trousers go quite large but the tops smaller although no one really wears the uniform tops where i am , i don't because mines a bit tight (a medium and I'm usually 10/12 sometimes 14) but i just wear a variation of plain black tshirts and long sleeve tops with the jacket and trousers, no ones said anything and I'm some people don't wear the uniform at all, just go by the rule that if you look smart and people can tell you work at m&s it's okay
Oh right,thanks! I got a large but seriously regretting it now as I'm like an 18 and doubt I'll fit it because the woman said a large was about a 16/18. Hoping it fits because I don't want to be the only one without decent fitting uniform:frown:
Do I contact HR for a reference or my line manager?
How long before you get a staff discount? I've been there for just over a week now and another new person who started a bit before me just got one
2-3 weeks for me
Can anyone help. I started work on 27th September (induction day) I got paid on 10th October and was slightly more than I expected. The days that I was working 27th, 28th, 29th,30th September were they all paid as overtime? So did I get a month in advance and then all the above days as overtime? I called HR and they confused me. They just said I'm owed another 11 hours next month as well. I work 4 hours a day and permanent. Thanks
I got payed way more than I was expecting for my first pay, having only working Friday, Saturday and Sunday for like 4 weeks. My hours ranged from 4 - 8.
Do I need to bring a CV and references to the interview?
Original post by ThatDarnGamer
Do I need to bring a CV and references to the interview?

Nope, unless specifically asked for you dont need anything
Original post by Lgugab
Nope, unless specifically asked for you dont need anything

Thank you :biggrin: that has put my mind at ease as this would be my first job so my CV is a little bare
Got my first shift tomorrow and was wondering what it entials. Haven't done any training yet so will it be more getting the hang of things rather than a normal shift?

Also will I be paid monthly, some places like Iceland pay weekly so was just curious!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamesgray99
Got my first shift tomorrow and was wondering what it entials. Haven't done any training yet so will it be more getting the hang of things rather than a normal shift?

Also will I be paid monthly, some places like Iceland pay weekly so was just curious!

Hello new employee,

You'll be getting payed on the 10th of each month if you're a permanent member of staff, if not I believe it's every 2 weeks.

What department will you be working in?
Original post by GradesUnlocked
Hello new employee,

You'll be getting payed on the 10th of each month if you're a permanent member of staff, if not I believe it's every 2 weeks.

What department will you be working in?

No if you are a temp ( e.g. Christmas temp) it is weekly on a Tuesday
Thanks for your help guys! Yeah it's a temporary Christmas role in the men's department. I don't suppose anyone knows how likely m&s are to recruit part time workers after there temp time is over?
Original post by jamesgray99
Thanks for your help guys! Yeah it's a temporary Christmas role in the men's department. I don't suppose anyone knows how likely m&s are to recruit part time workers after there temp time is over?

Try to stand out in regards to great work and maybe chip in a word with your manager. It all really depends on the store.

For example, my store seems to be short of staff a lot of the time so I'm sure they'd love to take on some of the temps to become permanent.
Original post by Tbear46
No if you are a temp ( e.g. Christmas temp) it is weekly on a Tuesday

My store must run differently then lol. 🌚
Original post by GradesUnlocked
My store must run differently then lol. 🌚

That's a pity I've done Christmas temp for a few years and it's always a Tuesday and it is this year too
Hi
Does anyone know what you have to wear on the 1st day of training as I begin on Monday but haven't been told anything yet about what I have to wear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending