The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer

Scroll to see replies

My god, I just want to earn some money through the summer for my Gap year! The pay had better be good after answering all those bloody questions.

I'm another idiot who didn't write the numbers down. I'll have a look and see if it's still there. :rolleyes:
Reply 41
I had an interview today at Marks and sparks and it was utter rubbish. Would you say that M&S should have a more stringent selection process than a building society? Because it is, I've previously worked for Bradford and Bingley but apparently I'm not good enough to work for M&S, they rejected me! They made me do this role play and then asked me what I thought went well and what went badly and what I could improve, went away to discuss me and then came back and said I didnt reach the benchmark! Oh well, they have horrible clothes anyway, not that I'm bitter or anything..............but honestly, I'm just trying to earn some money to be able to eat next year at uni, someone give me a break!
Reply 42
Is it normal to take 4/5 days before getting any kind of response?
Do they check references?
Also- would they respond even if I was not successful?

Questions, questions. I'm just so :grrrrrrrrr:
Had an interview there on wednesday morning. Did the role play and was supposed to go on to part 2 of the interview but the two people who were supposed to interview me were off ill so I was offered the job. Lucky me. And yes they do check references. The just sent me a letter today saying they are going to and will terminate my employment should my references fail to meet what they're looking for. I think they are abit too critical for a silly little clothes store. It's not exactly hard work.
Reply 44
Oh, i found the questions easy all right. Just after answering them they rejected me. Go figure. By the way, the phone application is automated.
Reply 45
I was rejected, and genuinely surprised because I felt it went pretty well.
I think the main reason is that the style of interview worked against me. Basically there was no interview, I was given no time to express myself. They never asked any question like why would I want to work there (for which I could talk about the ethics and britishness that I really do respect) or personal qualities, leadership and teamwork (the bands I play in and my voluntary role)- just given some stupid roleplay that had absolutely nothing to do with anything. They knew virtually nothing about me, and I don't think they checked references either.
I am slightly pissed off. :smile:
Don't feel too bad... It does all depend on who interviews you, some take it v seriously others just pick the person they liked best!

For references, my friend applied and used me as one as i'm an ex employee, i was sent forms but i didn't have to reply or send them back (i did though), so possibly if your reference doesn't respond they might use it against you?

Marks are like Unis in a way... They have one position but offer it to 10 people BUT they won't cancel interviews even if someones filled it! So that might by why some of you didn't get a job!

To be blunt - they do like to screw a lot of people over!!

-x-
Reply 47
Because they dated the letter the day I had the interview and my 'boss' didn't mention anything I inferred that they didn't even send anything out. I think the ladies did like me- they were really nice- I suppose if somebody had actually worked somewhere like Marks and Spencer before giving them better experience than me, erm, serving coffee to the infirm... :smile:
They could offer you hours if someone declines the job

-x-
Reply 49
If you dont get the job you can still re-apply, so dont feel too bothered.

Everyone is right, M&S have a very bad recruitment procedure. Let me explain:

I went on the website, found a vacancy for a local store and a-pplied on-line. I did about 30 questions and then it gave me a number. I rang it the following morning, as I was applying at around 11:30pm.

I did a furthur 15 questions which took about 20minutes. After all that I was put on to an advisor who asked me where I wanted to apply to. I told her, and she said "we dont have any vacancies there". I told her on the website, yesterday it had vacancies, but she said they PROBABLY would have been filled in already.

I was annoyed after all that but I thought I would give it one last try. Literally, 5 minutes later I picked up the phone and phoned the same number, this time selecting an option so I could talk to someone...

And surprise surprise there was a vacancy and I was booked an interview.

Throughout I was treated like a number, if you didnt get it first time, try and try again.

I did the interview and passed it so I did get the job. However they havent contacted me yet. How many days after an interview do they call/post to you? Any1 know?
About a week or so, call up if they haven't - all it is now is just filling in forms, going in for training then you're working!!

-x-
Reply 51
Ok thanks for that.
I got the job immediately after my interview. I've been rejected once already by marks and spencer 6 months ago and now i'm suddenly good enough to work for them. surprise surprise.
Reply 53
I did the Marks and Spencer's phone exam thing, which took about 20 minutes.. then I got put through to someone I couldn't understand a word they were saying, but they said the position had been filled.

Probably while I was doing the bloody phone exam.

time Wasters
Reply 54
Iam going to try 1 last time through phone, as i don't want to get huge phone bill and I am banned for 6 months using online way lol wasn't my fault though cos I hadn't finished and their stupid server submitted by application and timed out...then i tried to relog in and it said apply after 6 months :frown: I was angry setup new account and passed!! yeah but they wouldn't accept (read previous post)...

Anyway I really need a job ! and have been looking everywhere! and today my local M&S branch just got 3 vacancies and i desperately want to go there so please if you can help!!

if you guys can help with phone questions Id appreciate it..i'll list ones I can remember?

Would you say your
1)Very flexible, like to do things with no exp
2)Fairly flexible, but like to know how to do task
3) [cant remember]

Your neighbour store has record sales, how do you feel?
1)Happy for neighbour store
2)frustrated at your store for not having the record
3)happy atleast your store is maitaining sales

Customer wants to close acccount, but doesnt offer much explanations, what would u do? (only mentions poor service)
1)apologize and close account
2)close account, but try to win him over by being friendly as possible.
3)ask more q before closing account

You have been stuck in a meeting and cannot help a team that u promised to help, what do u do?
1)apologize explain situatuion and promise to help them next time.
2)tell them you will try to make up for it and help them tomz
3)apologize, and help with whatever is remaining

Store is very quiet do u..
1)Ask manager what needs doing?
2)try find something on shop floor that needs tidying up?
3)just be patient and wait to help a customer that walks in?

You have been given list of tasks to do, but a customer you know well, is coming to speak to you do u?
1)say hello but run away before he has chance to speak
2)try to do task and chat at same time
3)just speak to customer

You have been given a task to do, but a more urgent one comes up how dou feel?
1)You will be happy to do urgent taks first, and come back later.
2)a little frustrated as you like to finish what u start, but understand and will do urgent one first.
3) [cant remember]

What excites you the most?
1)New promotions in store
2)team meeting and chatting to collegues
3)trying out something you havent done before

that 8/12 Q's they have currently on the phones, feel free to add the ones i missed....

and if any successful applicants can post answers they remember ill be very grateful.
I'd go with things like:

Would you say your
1)Very flexible, like to do things with no exp
2)Fairly flexible, but like to know how to do task
3) [cant remember]

Your neighbour store has record sales, how do you feel?
1)Happy for neighbour store
2)frustrated at your store for not having the record
3)happy atleast your store is maitaining sales

Customer wants to close acccount, but doesnt offer much explanations, what would u do? (only mentions poor service)
1)apologize and close account
2)close account, but try to win him over by being friendly as possible.
3)ask more q before closing account

You have been stuck in a meeting and cannot help a team that u promised to help, what do u do?
1)apologize explain situatuion and promise to help them next time.
2)tell them you will try to make up for it and help them tomz
3)apologize, and help with whatever is remaining

Store is very quiet do u..
1)Ask manager what needs doing?
2)try find something on shop floor that needs tidying up?
3)just be patient and wait to help a customer that walks in?

You have been given list of tasks to do, but a customer you know well, is coming to speak to you do u?
1)say hello but run away before he has chance to speak
2)try to do task and chat at same time
3)just speak to customer

You have been given a task to do, but a more urgent one comes up how dou feel?
1)You will be happy to do urgent taks first, and come back later.
2)a little frustrated as you like to finish what u start, but understand and will do urgent one first.
3) [cant remember]

What excites you the most?
1)New promotions in store
2)team meeting and chatting to collegues
3)trying out something you havent done before

Go for answers that are helping customers/giving best possible service/and showing your dedication to M&S... But that's just my opinion! It's what i did when i had to do an interview once when working at Marks - just went for the answers that seem most related in a sense!!

-x-
Reply 56
what did you guys wear to your interview? :smile:
Reply 57
I've got an interview tomorrow at the Watford store. Has anyone else had one there? I was going to wear smart black trousers and a jumper. Think that will be ok.
I was in my school uniform when i had mine - so that was smart enough! My male friend wore smart/suit trousers, shirt and a dark jumper on the top!

-x-
Reply 59
well i have to go from next so ill no doubt be going in my suit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending