The Student Room Group

Oxford Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrSupernova
Sent mine today, worried I might not have put enough stamps on though so they might have to pay postage :colondollar: I'd just email them to explain, shouldn't be too much of a problem I imagine. What college have you got an offer for?

Univ
Original post by mun_96
Lol I got 14A*s BMAT was 5.9 6.9 3.5B 6As at AS and predicted A*s at A2 and I honestly thought the interview went well :s school applied for feedback 2 weeks ago and still no response. 8A*s is fine. I know a guy this year who got 8 A*s 3As at GCSE. Even though Oxford say their approach is holistic I think now the interview is given much more importance

My daughter got

GCSE - 12 A*
BMAT - 5.9 ; 6.9 : 3.5A
AS - AAAA
UMS - 98.4%
A2 predictions A*A*A*A*
Biology, Maths, (did further maths to AS) Chemistry, and Physics
Fluent in 5 languages
Loads of work in care home (they like that, as most new doctors don't want to deal with the elderly)

Got an offer to Oxford A*AA
Original post by Miss Sherlock
Univ

Snap
Depends on the college. Of the two I was interviewed at, one didn't mention it at all, while the other college had a sciencey interview and an ethics-based one (which included questions that brought in my work experience)

Which colleges do only one interview, in any do? That would put my stress levels down so much!
Original post by mynameishello
Which colleges do only one interview, in any do? That would put my stress levels down so much!

Univ only does 1, but then obviously it matters more if you make a mistake! I had 3 at merton and found it less stressful than wadham where I had 2, because I felt like less was resting on each interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kangarooblue
Univ only does 1, but then obviously it matters more if you make a mistake! I had 3 at merton and found it less stressful than wadham where I had 2, because I felt like less was resting on each interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep I get what you're saying. But I'll be randomly allocated to another college anyway, so hopefully that's one with 2/3 and therefore better in that context.
I think id like to choose a college with one interview though cause I'm just one of those people who seems to find that easier (I clearly don't make any sense), is university the only one? Thanks so much, this is so helpful of you! x

Univ only interviewed me once, but I found that more gruelling than having two interviews tbh, since it lasted about 50 minutes and constantly switched between questions on science, motivation and ethics
Reply 467
Original post by miss sherlock
univ

meee too!!! :biggrin:
Oxford conditional offer is A*AA including Chemistry. My understanding is A* could be in any subject?

They did not put any condition on fourth or fifth A level? Is that the case for everyone?

I only had one interview at Hertford College (it was about 45 minutes long) :smile:
Reply 470
I got the same as you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I received four rejections this admissions cycle...am unsure whether to apply to oxford for the 2015 admissions cycle?

I got a high BMAT score last year, but my GCSEs were 80%. Could any offer holders please reply and tell me their BMATs/grades?

Much appreciated
Original post by locomotive99
I received four rejections this admissions cycle...am unsure whether to apply to oxford for the 2015 admissions cycle?

I got a high BMAT score last year, but my GCSEs were 80%. Could any offer holders please reply and tell me their BMATs/grades?

Much appreciated

What was your BMAT? How many A* was that? Did you get an interview?

As I'm sure you've seen, the best data we have for this question is here
I'm a reapplicant too, but didn't apply to Oxford last year.
My grades are:
GCSE- 8A*, 4A
A Level- A*A*A* in History, Biology and Chemistry, with an A at AS Level in Maths.
I haven't done the BMAT before but have had a mock interview with a Cambridge Medical tutor who said I was on a par with them. Any ideas on my chances at Oxford? Thank you!
Original post by maddibel1
I'm a reapplicant too, but didn't apply to Oxford last year.
My grades are:
GCSE- 8A*, 4A
A Level- A*A*A* in History, Biology and Chemistry, with an A at AS Level in Maths.
I haven't done the BMAT before but have had a mock interview with a Cambridge Medical tutor who said I was on a par with them. Any ideas on my chances at Oxford? Thank you!

GCSE's would probably let you down, unfortunately. With 3A*s I'm sure you'd have a better chance at Cambridge, if you're interested in possibly applying there

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE's would probably let you down, unfortunately. With 3A*s I'm sure you'd have a better chance at Cambridge, if you're interested in possibly applying there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately I didn't do Maths A Level which is a requirement for them, I think. Thank you.
Unfortunately I didn't do Maths A Level which is a requirement for them, I think. Thank you.

It isn't a requirement but strongly preferred I think. http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/
Hi all,

Applying to Oxford this year (Oct 15 2014 deadline)

Anyone who got an offer last year, the A*AA - did they specify which subject the A* had to be in i.e. probably chemistry or did they just say A*AA in any of the three offer subjects?

Was your 3rd A-level in physics? If so, you should be fine. As the link someone else posted shows, only having biology and chemistry doesn't mean a straight rejection; it just means your chances are about half as good as those having 3 sciences.

Original post by theoffice
Hi all,

Applying to Oxford this year (Oct 15 2014 deadline)

Anyone who got an offer last year, the A*AA - did they specify which subject the A* had to be in i.e. probably chemistry or did they just say A*AA in any of the three offer subjects?

Any subject, but you need at least an A in Chemistry (e.g. if you did 4 A2's and you got A*AAB, or even A*A*A*B with the B in chemistry, you've missed your offer)
Original post by Okorange
It isn't a requirement but strongly preferred I think. http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/

Thanks, though I'm from around Cambridge so I don't know if I'll apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending