The Student Room Group

Should I change sixth form?

I've just started sixth form at a state school that i have attended from year 7 to now but recently I have begun to really dislike it. I'm studying AS maths, biology, chemistry and geography and wanting to be a vet in the future. This week was my first full week and it's just got worse as the days have gone by. The school seems like they are really unorganised this year and loads of teachers and subject have changed so nobody knows what's going on really.

Anyway, my parents say that if I really wanted to I could go to a local independent private sixth form. It looks really good and I think it would really help me as it is different so I would be interested and motivated to work hard. But what if I went.. I wouldn't know anybody and would my gcses look bad as they are all As and a few Bs. All of the people there are super clever and have A*s in every subject.

I just don't know what to do, whether to swap or stay. Any advice? Is it too late to swap? What do you think I should do?:colondollar: :s-smilie:
Reply 1
If you're not happy, change. Don't worry about making friends, you'll make lots!

I stayed in my sixth form after being there since year 7 just because of my friends. I turned down a place at my local independent private school which looked amazing. All my friends turned out to be really mean and I had the worst time in sixth form.. it really was awful.

Just follow your gut feeling. If you think the private school will be better for you, then go for it. Remember private schools have smaller classes so you might be better off! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
By the way As and Bs are brilliant GCSEs! GCSE grades don't matter in the long run anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Well yeah you probably should move, if you want to get into Vet Med and didn't get even one A* at GCSE, you probably need this extra help to get the right A-Levels
Reply 4
Contact the independent school and ask to look round and then go for a "taster day" - spend the day with them in lessons to see if you like it. This is routine and they shouldn't charge for this. It will give you much better idea of what it would be like. It's not to late to change. If you like it great it great, if not look at other local schools/colleges - you don't want to mess up you A level years.

Hope it works out
Sorry I know this is a bit irrelevant but I'm currently in Year 11 at state school and my parents are considering sending me to private (would have to be boarding due to location) school for sixth form.

I'm predicted all As and A*s but I'm worried there won't be places because doing research some people apply 2-3 years in advance to some schools.

Is there a chance for me to apply for 2014 entry?

Sorry for posting this on your thread but I don't know where else to ask.
Original post by Sophjeff
I've just started sixth form at a state school that i have attended from year 7 to now but recently I have begun to really dislike it. I'm studying AS maths, biology, chemistry and geography and wanting to be a vet in the future. This week was my first full week and it's just got worse as the days have gone by. The school seems like they are really unorganised this year and loads of teachers and subject have changed so nobody knows what's going on really.

Anyway, my parents say that if I really wanted to I could go to a local independent private sixth form. It looks really good and I think it would really help me as it is different so I would be interested and motivated to work hard. But what if I went.. I wouldn't know anybody and would my gcses look bad as they are all As and a few Bs. All of the people there are super clever and have A*s in every subject.

I just don't know what to do, whether to swap or stay. Any advice? Is it too late to swap? What do you think I should do?:colondollar: :s-smilie:

If you arent liking it at your current 6th form- then id change. If you dont really like it now, and you stay, then you might dislike it more as time goes on.
I felt similar when i stayed on at 6th form (the same school id been to from year 7-11). I loved the school up until the end of year 11, but when i went to 6th form it didnt feel the same, and i didnt like it as much. And the 6th form wasnt as amazing as the head of 6th form made it out to be.
At the new school, it will be a new start, you will probably be motivated to work harder, and you will make a lot of new friends, as well as keeping your old ones.
I also wouldnt worry about your GCSES- as they are actually really good.
Reply 7
Original post by Sophjeff

You at KA's? If you are I can give my opinion as I've just finished sixth form there.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending