The Student Room Group

Best boards for self study?

I am about to take my A levels as an independent self study, what books are the best right now for:

AS Level:
Mathematics with mechanics.
Physics
Geography (or)
Geology (which one is best)

Maths and Physics are the two I need most but which is the most enjoyable out of Geology and Geography?

Also can you point me in the right direction of past papers?

Thanks.
Original post by Un1ty
I am about to take my A levels as an independent self study, what books are the best right now for:

AS Level:
Mathematics with mechanics.
Physics
Geography (or)
Geology (which one is best)

Maths and Physics are the two I need most but which is the most enjoyable out of Geology and Geography?

Also can you point me in the right direction of past papers?

Thanks.

I dont know if you've looked into this yet, but have you thought about how you will do the practical work?

Maths is the only subject out of the 4 mentioned that has no practical work,

Geology is a heavily practical subject, ie looking at rock specimens etc

as far as I know, geography requires a few field trips (well, mine did at A-level years ago, you should check your syllabus to see what yours requires)

physics involves practical experiments and my physics a-level had practical modules

what exam board are you using? {edit: ive just noticed in the title that u are asking what board to use...)

I imagine that you could find past papers on the website of your exam board

good luck
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by bloomblaze
I dont know if you've looked into this yet, but have you thought about how you will do the practical work?

Maths is the only subject out of the 4 mentioned that has no practical work,

Geology is a heavily practical subject, ie looking at rock specimens etc

as far as I know, geography requires a few field trips (well, mine did at A-level years ago, you should check your syllabus to see what yours requires)

physics involves practical experiments and my physics a-level had practical modules

what exam board are you using?

I imagine that you could find past papers on the website of your exam board

good luck

Mathematics I am not sure what board I’m going with but AQA seems to be dominant, as physics AQA has 1 practical at AS and 1 practical at A level so it’s more than likely I will go with them. It’s just I’m not sure if Geology or Geography is the right for me. I’m pretty sure field trips are not a necessity so I’m sure that will not be a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending