The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Can i apply to UEA with these grades? GCSE: 4A* (including Chemistry and English Literature) 4A (including Maths and Physics) and 3B (including English Language and Biology). My AS levels are aaab for chemistry, biology, classical civilisation and maths(which i'm dropping) and my UKCAT is 740, band 1. My gcse's are what i'm mostly concerned about.
Original post by Mary.A
Can i apply to UEA with these grades? GCSE: 4A* (including Chemistry and English Literature) 4A (including Maths and Physics) and 3B (including English Language and Biology). My AS levels are aaab for chemistry, biology, classical civilisation and maths(which i'm dropping) and my UKCAT is 740, band 1. My gcse's are what i'm mostly concerned about.

Look at their website, you will see if you can apply or not.
Original post by MikeyP96
Definitely applying here!
My stats are

GCSE: 5A* 6A 1B Distinction in IT plus A* in general studies done in yr 12
AS: AAAA in Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology
A2 Predictions: A*A*A in Human Biology, Physics and Chemistry
UKCAT: 692.5 SJT Band 3

What do you think my chances are?

Our stats are very similar. I think you have a good chance.

As long as your ps isn't a disaster then it should be fine
Reply 23
Original post by letsbehonest
I can't believe no one has made this thread yet!:eek:

1-17.jpg

Requirements

All applicants must have a minimum of six GCSE (or equivalent) passes at grade A or above to include English, Maths and two Science subjects. GCSE short courses are not accepted.

If you are a European or International applicant we require that you include details of formal qualifications taken up to age 16, together with current/completed studies on your UCAS form.

A Levels

AAA to include Biology/Human Biology and one other science plus AS level grade B in a 4th subject

Second science subject from Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics or Further Mathematics.

NB. Combinations of Mathematics and Further Mathematics not accepted at A2/AS level. We are looking for 4 separate subjects, three at full A level and one at AS as a minimum. We consider Mathematics and Further Mathematics as one subject area.

General Studies and Critical Thinking not accepted at A2 or AS level.

UEA medical school does not set a minimum score for the UKCAT entry exam. UKCAT scores are considered alongside academic achievements and the personal statement and a low score will not automatically rule a candidate out from consideration if the rest of their application is strong.

Helloo I just read on the TSR 'Applying to medical schools using your strengths page that emphasis is placed on A2 predicted grades rather than AS. Is this reliable do you think? :smile:
Original post by studnetMo
Helloo I just read on the TSR 'Applying to medical schools using your strengths page that emphasis is placed on A2 predicted grades rather than AS. Is this reliable do you think? :smile:

Yes.

They look at AS results but don't put much emphasis on it so achieving ACCC at AS and being predicted AAAB is questionable and probably risky.

If you have BBBB or above at AS I guess its fine.
Reply 25
Yes.

They look at AS results but don't put much emphasis on it so achieving ACCC at AS and being predicted AAAB is questionable and probably risky.

If you have BBBB or above at AS I guess its fine.

Oh okay Thanks for that, and thanks for replying so quickly :biggrin:
If I may ask, how does UEA use the ukcat score? As I got 670 but I am predicted 3A*1A so is UEA a good choice would you think?
Original post by studnetMo
Oh okay Thanks for that, and thanks for replying so quickly :biggrin:
If I may ask, how does UEA use the ukcat score? As I got 670 but I am predicted 3A*1A so is UEA a good choice would you think?

Wow! Those are amazing predictions. Good ukcat score too!

They are very ambigious and secretive. They say they use the ukcat somehow. Whilst a good ukcat is advantageous, a poor ukcat score does not mean you will be rejected because other things like grades are considered too.

You have nothing to worry about. UEA would be a great choice!

I got 695 and A*AA predictions.
Reply 27
Wow! Those are amazing predictions. Good ukcat score too!

They are very ambigious and secretive. They say they use the ukcat somehow. Whilst a good ukcat is advantageous, a poor ukcat score does not mean you will be rejected because other things like grades are considered too.

You have nothing to worry about. UEA would be a great choice!

I got 695 and A*AA predictions.

Wow Thank you so much :biggrin:! You are right they don't seem to mention anywhere how they use the ukcat but I think I will apply to UEA anyway with my fingers crossed :smile:
Best of luck with your application!
Reply 28
I have got equivalent GCSE qualifications in which I got above 90% overall score. My AS are AAAA in phy, chem, bio and maths and I am predicted to get A*A*A*A*. UKCAT score of 635. A good PS and an amazing reference. Shouls I apply to UEA?
Reply 29
I know! I have decided against exeter. UEA it is!

Original post by NikoB
Yeah same!

Wait, what? Why are we deciding against Exeter? I still love it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
Wait, what? Why are we deciding against Exeter? I still love it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao here we go again! :tongue:

they're quite dodgy with their admissions, sub test scores, prefer higher A2 grades. Seems risky
Reply 31
Original post by NikoB
Lmao here we go again! :tongue:

they're quite dodgy with their admissions, sub test scores, prefer higher A2 grades. Seems risky

I'm actually thinking of applying here as well...are they a bit more lenient?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
I'm actually thinking of applying here as well...are they a bit more lenient?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Their admission process is a bit hard to decipher tbh, they say they look at everything and a high UKCAT is an advantage...that's it :s-smilie:
Double checking, UEA use overall score of UKCAT right?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1379527552.121699.jpg

The attached photo shows how they use UKCAT but it's ambiguous with the component thingy :s-smilie:
Original post by NikoB
Double checking, UEA use overall score of UKCAT right?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1379527552.121699.jpg

The attached photo shows how they use UKCAT but it's ambiguous with the component thingy :s-smilie:

I think they allocate marks to each component a bit like Nottingham.

But then again, I'm not 100% sure

It's confusing

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think they allocate marks to each component a bit like Nottingham.

But then again, I'm not 100% sure

It's confusing

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll give them a call/email.
Original post by NikoB
I'll give them a call/email.

Have you contacted them yet?
Have you contacted them yet?

They said they look at the overall score :yes: so it's fine :biggrin:
Reply 38
Should I apply here?? I don't know...

Do they place a great weighting on personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
Should I apply here?? I don't know...

Do they place a great weighting on personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you like Norwich, the course, the teaching style, and you meet the minimum requirements who am I to tell you to not apply?

I think they do look at the personal statement but it isn't the end all and be all.

Latest

Trending

Trending