The Student Room Group

Training Contract with a re-sit?

I've just finished first year at UCL, studying History. I obtained a 2.1, but failed my optional module, International Relations, and will need to re-sit next year. The mark will not be capped at 40%, so in my third year, when I apply for a TC I can put down a new mark which will hopefully be improved. My question is, in the TC application they do require you to write down any re-sits. Do you know whether this re-sit would affect my chances at getting a TC at a medium-sized, City law firm? How much do commercial law firms frown upon re-sits? I have obtained a mix of 1st's and 2.1's in my first year, and strong A Level and GCSE grades.
Any advice would be helpful :smile: thank you x
Hi

I'm sure you will get better answers than me but, yes, they do often ask whether you have done any re-sits and if so, what was the result.

Also, do ensure that you know whether or not your re-sit is classed as a re-sit - I don't quite know what I am talking about here but I have heard that, sometimes, as long as you pass the whole thing on the amount of attempts you have to pass (ie 3 or whatever) you don't have to declare it as a re-sit.

But please do some further research on that point!
Reply 2
Great thank you, I'll look into it :smile:
Reply 3
If it's a "first time sit" (which is normally the only way re-sits aren't capped) it wouldn't be treated as a resit so your mark will be whatever it will be. If they ask about re-taking exams rather than re-sitting the answer is slightly different.
Reply 4
Original post by Ethereal
If it's a "first time sit" (which is normally the only way re-sits aren't capped) it wouldn't be treated as a resit so your mark will be whatever it will be. If they ask about re-taking exams rather than re-sitting the answer is slightly different.

I don't think what I'm doing is a 'first time sit', because usually that's usually done in August the same year but I've been told to re-sit the exam, but not attend lectures, next summer. What would be considered a 'first time sit' though? And why is that not considered a re-sit? Thank you
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by curly_wurly
I don't think what I'm doing is a 'first time sit', because usually that's usually done in August the same year but I've been told to re-sit the exam, but not attend lectures, next summer. What would be considered a 'first time sit' though? And why is that not considered a re-sit? Thank you

If they don't count your first attempt because of mitigating circumstances - so when you go again it is as though it was your first attempt rather than a re-sit. It's normally the only way a module can be re-sat without being capped at 40.

If you don't have mitigating circumstances I'm afraid I don't see how they can not be applying the cap
Reply 6
Original post by Ethereal
If they don't count your first attempt because of mitigating circumstances - so when you go again it is as though it was your first attempt rather than a re-sit. It's normally the only way a module can be re-sat without being capped at 40.

If you don't have mitigating circumstances I'm afraid I don't see how they can not be applying the cap

Oh right, I've checked with my personal tutor and the course administrator and they've told me it won't be capped at 40, but I guess it is still seen as a re-sit because I don't have mitigating circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending