The Student Room Group

easiest universities in London? PLEASE HELP?

i'm studying btec health and social care but i don't want a career in that anymore, i want to study something like business, finance or economics but i have had literally no experience in these subjects before

i was thinking that i should go to somewhere like east london uni, london met, or south bank(i live near south bank)

i don't care about the prestige or the reputation about of these unis i just need the easiest degree

so which uni out of the 3 i stated has the easiest degree courses for business, finance and economics (and with the LEAST amount of maths involved)

i know that even the worst universities you have to work hard, but i just need the easiest one

thank you
Original post by tboy5
i'm studying btec health and social care but i don't want a career in that anymore, i want to study something like business, finance or economics but i have had literally no experience in these subjects before

i was thinking that i should go to somewhere like east london uni, london met, or south bank(i live near south bank)

i don't care about the prestige or the reputation about of these unis i just need the easiest degree

so which uni out of the 3 i stated has the easiest degree courses for business, finance and economics (and with the LEAST amount of maths involved)

i know that even the worst universities you have to work hard, but i just need the easiest one

thank you

I'd say London Met or UEL. The lecturers set the exam and essay questions, so they'll only ask you things they've taught you. Also degree's are 'easy' lol. None of them will have the 'easiest' degree, although it is easier to get a First in these universities than a top university such as Durham etc.

Business will have the least maths. You do an accounting module, but finance and economics are more math based than business is.

You don't need to go to a 'low' ranking university just because you don't have any experience. You could go to a better university if you did a foundation course first.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Knalchemist
I'd say London Met or UEL. The lecturers set the exam and essay questions, so they'll only ask you things they've taught you. Also degree's are 'easy' lol. None of them will have the 'easiest' degree, although it is easier to get a First in these universities than a top university such as Durham etc.

Business will have the least maths. You do an accounting module, but finance and economics are more math based than business is.

You don't need to go to a 'low' ranking university just because you don't have any experience. You could go to a better university if you did a foundation course first.

thank you, but do you think i will fail at london met, UEL and south bank if i choose to pursue a finance, accounting or economics degree if i failed gcse maths and barely got a D and no business education of any sort?

but i had a functional skills maths at equivalent to a C or something

thanks
Original post by tboy5
thank you, but do you think i will fail at london met, UEL and south bank if i choose to pursue a finance, accounting or economics degree if i failed gcse maths and barely got a D and no business education of any sort?

but i had a functional skills maths at equivalent to a C or something

thanks

I don't know.

First year of almost all degree's are introductory. So you don't need to have had any previous experience with it at all.

With business, it would be easier as there is almost no math at all. It is just one module, and it's mostly computerised, so no 'working out' so to speak.

Economics and finance degree's are more maths based. If you struggle with maths, you'll struggle with these degree's.
Reply 4
Get an apprenticeship if you don't care about the reputation and want just an easiest degree as it won't help you with getting a job. Don't waste your money on bad education.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Knalchemist
I don't know.

First year of almost all degree's are introductory. So you don't need to have had any previous experience with it at all.

With business, it would be easier as there is almost no math at all. It is just one module, and it's mostly computerised, so no 'working out' so to speak.

Economics and finance degree's are more maths based. If you struggle with maths, you'll struggle with these degree's.

thanks

what kind of maths is involved with finance and economics degrees at places like london met, UEL etc???

is it just the basics?

and i'm not aiming for a first, i just want to pass

thank you
Reply 6
I am looking for the easiest university as I do not excel academically, but I still want a good career, and a good life.
(edited 10 years ago)
Do not apply to London Met. It has zero academic credibility and as a result of all the 'overseas students ban' a few years ago, they have dire financial problems. Its quite possible it could close on you mid degree.

A higher level apprenticeship is VERY much worth doing. So is an HNC or HND. Do not get the idea that 'a degree, any degree' is a magic bullet to a fantastic job and an instantly happy life. An apprenticeship is a solid basis for a sensible, fulfilling career. IF you decide that later in life you still want to go to Uni (for whatever reason) you can still do it.
Original post by tboy5
I am looking for the easiest university as I do not excel academically, but I still want a good career, and a good life.

Original post by returnmigrant
Do not apply to London Met. It has zero academic credibility and as a result of all the 'overseas students ban' a few years ago, they have dire financial problems. Its quite possible it could close on you mid degree.

A higher level apprenticeship is VERY much worth doing. So is an HNC or HND. Do not get the idea that 'a degree, any degree' is a magic bullet to a fantastic job and an instantly happy life. An apprenticeship is a solid basis for a sensible, fulfilling career. IF you decide that later in life you still want to go to Uni (for whatever reason) you can still do it.

Let me give you an example of this.

University College London has two vacancies currently.

They want a lecturer in real estate.

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AHD546/lecturer-or-senior-lecturer-in-real-estate/

For someone who has a 1st class honours degree from a good university, probably an MA from a good university and a PhD.They are willing to pay £36,064-£39,132. The successful applicant will probably have spent 2 or 3 years doing short term academic non-career jobs. The higher salaries are for people with more experience. They will be overwhelmed with applicants.

They also want a plumber

http://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/University-College-London-%28UCL%29/jobs/Plumber-d9db6145f6468e9b

The plumber must have completed an apprenticeship, have significant experience and experience of supervision. They are willing to pay £32,375 - £39,132.

No doubt both the Bartlett School of Planning and the Facilities Management Department will offer prospects of promotion.

What I can guarantee you is that UCL will find it harder to recruit the plumber than the lecturer.
Reply 9
Original post by nulli tertius
Let me give you an example of this.

University College London has two vacancies currently.

They want a lecturer in real estate.

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AHD546/lecturer-or-senior-lecturer-in-real-estate/

For someone who has a 1st class honours degree from a good university, probably an MA from a good university and a PhD.They are willing to pay £36,064-£39,132. The successful applicant will probably have spent 2 or 3 years doing short term academic non-career jobs. The higher salaries are for people with more experience. They will be overwhelmed with applicants.

They also want a plumber

http://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/University-College-London-%28UCL%29/jobs/Plumber-d9db6145f6468e9b

The plumber must have completed an apprenticeship, have significant experience and experience of supervision. They are willing to pay £32,375 - £39,132.

No doubt both the Bartlett School of Planning and the Facilities Management Department will offer prospects of promotion.

What I can guarantee you is that UCL will find it harder to recruit the plumber than the lecturer.

thanks for the info, but i would prefer a career in something like business or finance, and i intend on getting a masters and then moving to america with my spouse.

and i'm no expert but i believe that you can generally earn more with a masters in finance than a plumbing apprenticeship

even if the university isn't "brilliant"
Original post by tboy5
thanks for the info, but i would prefer a career in something like business or finance, and i intend on getting a masters and then moving to america with my spouse.

and i'm no expert but i believe that you can generally earn more with a masters in finance than a plumbing apprenticeship

even if the university isn't "brilliant"

There are many unemployed folk with finance masters. There are few unemployed plumbers despite the fact that the construction industry has had a rough time for the last 5 years.

Latest

Trending

Trending