The Student Room Group

King's College London EMDP 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
OMG, Guys does anyones know how the UKCAT is looked at? If i dont get a good UKCAT is there still a possibility I can get an interview?! (I have good GCSE's and a PS)

Please tell me you dont need a high UKCAT....this bloody exam has me in bits :frown:
Reply 41
I'm not quite sure how they use the UKCAT. Of course a higher UKCAT would be advantageous.
On the website it says it's used 'contextually along with other factors'
I'm assuming they look at everything.
GCSEs, AS grades, A2 predictions, UKCAT, work experience, interview and the reference along with the personal statement.

I really want to study here, I would love it if I was given an offer haha :colondollar:
Reply 42
Hey guys, i will be applying later on this week. I'm so scared yet excited 😰
Still having an ongoing battle with certain aspects of my personal statement :/

How's everyone else's applications coming along?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
I am apply here aswell.

Did anyone go to the kings open day, or is doing the kings online open week?
Is it a good idea to apply to this course with 610 UKCAT average?
Original post by nukethemaly
Is it a good idea to apply to this course with 610 UKCAT average?

Yeah that's fine.
Reply 46
Hey guys!! I'm applying here aswell as Notts for foundation and Keele for 5 year (yolo), are my stats okay?

GCSEs: 1A* 6As 3Bs and ocr national award in ICT (merit
AS: BBCC in Maths, French (dropped), Biology and Chemistry
A2 Predictions: AAB (maths, chemistry and biology respectively)
UKCAT: 600 :frown: (failed abstract badly)
Extra Curriculars: black belt in taekwondo (junior instructor now), Grade 6 in verse and prose, grade 5 in acting, one week work experience in a hospital, one week work experience with the army, one week work experience in a pharmacy, volunteering in british heart foundation, set up a medical society in my school, part of a science group during year 12 (they gave us like endless lectures about biology), did Brilliant club and got a first on my assignment
Reply 47
Original post by RachHill
Hey guys!! I'm applying here aswell as Notts for foundation and Keele for 5 year (yolo), are my stats okay?

GCSEs: 1A* 6As 3Bs and ocr national award in ICT (merit
AS: BBCC in Maths, French (dropped), Biology and Chemistry
A2 Predictions: AAB (maths, chemistry and biology respectively)
UKCAT: 600 :frown: (failed abstract badly)
Extra Curriculars: black belt in taekwondo (junior instructor now), Grade 6 in verse and prose, grade 5 in acting, one week work experience in a hospital, one week work experience with the army, one week work experience in a pharmacy, volunteering in british heart foundation, set up a medical society in my school, part of a science group during year 12 (they gave us like endless lectures about biology), did Brilliant club and got a first on my assignment

I'm no expert, but I'm presuming their fine. They look decent, as long as your predicted BBB I think you can qualify for an interview. The top 180 most strongest candidates in terms of Personal Statement, Reference, Predicted Grades, GCSEs, UKCAT will be selected for interview.
After that, I think roughly 55 offers will be based. So your chances are quite high after the interview stage... :wink:
Your extra-curricular activities are good, and Kings focuses on that quite a lot.
Reply 48
Original post by TheBestDon
I'm no expert, but I'm presuming their fine. They look decent, as long as your predicted BBB I think you can qualify for an interview. The top 180 most strongest candidates in terms of Personal Statement, Reference, Predicted Grades, GCSEs, UKCAT will be selected for interview.
After that, I think roughly 55 offers will be based. So your chances are quite high after the interview stage... :wink:
Your extra-curricular activities are good, and Kings focuses on that quite a lot.

I reaaaally hope so, since I want to get in so badly!!
Reply 49
Original post by RachHill
I reaaaally hope so, since I want to get in so badly!!

Same!! I really want to go Kings, hope we get in :smile:
Reply 50
Are my stats worth applying here?
GCSEs - 8 As and 2 Bs
AS - ABBB in economics, biology, chemistry and maths respectively
UKCAT - 647.5: 650 in vr, 640 in qr, 510 in ar (lol) and 790 in da. Band 3 Sj.
Work experience - starting care home soon, 2 weeks in a GP and 3 weeks in a hotel in south Africa.

Chances?
Reply 51
Received the email for confirmation of my application to Kings! :biggrin:

Does anyone know when they'll get back to us, when interviews are given out and what date the interviews will be?
Also, do we need to show our AS certificates and GCSE certificates?

I found this information from last year's thread, I hope its useful for you lot:

The UKCAT
All applicants applying*for 2013*entry are required to sit the UKCAT aptitude test prior to applying to the EMDP degree. Please refer to the UKCAT website for details on registration at*http://www.ukcat.ac.uk.The UKCAT is used in selection for all of our medicine entry routes (except for the Medicine Maxfax programme where applicants are already qualified dentists). As all students are undertaking a medicine programme and will eventually be integrated in the clinical years, we are keen to ensure that comparable data (which includes the UKCAT) is used in selection for all entry routes. As with all our programmes UKCAT subtest scores are used in selection, particularly post-interview for the EMDP to refine rankings.

Personal statement and reference
Your personal statement is one of the many factors in the overall assessment of your application. We are looking particularly for evidence of appropriate commitment to, and realistic appreciation of, the academic, physical and emotional demands of a medicine degree programme and career. We would normally expect that you will have undertaken some work experience in a caring environment and/or observation in a medical setting. If this is not possible, we look for evidence that you have worked in a setting where you can interact with the general public, e.g. in a pharmacy, check-out or restaurant. Communication skills and the ability to work successfully in a team are of great importance. We look for applicants who have participated as fully as possible in school or college life, making the most of the opportunities available to them and also demonstrated some experience of society beyond their immediate environment. Your interests, achievements and contribution to your community are taken into account in addition to academic ability. We aim to ensure that all of our students can cope with the heavy academic workload of the programme and display those professional qualities, skills and attitudes that help to make competent and caring medical professionals. We would expect your application to be strongly supported by your referee both in terms of academic achievements/potential and in terms of your character and suitability for medicine.
Received the email for confirmation of my application to Kings! :biggrin:

Does anyone know when they'll get back to us, when interviews are given out and what date the interviews will be?
Also, do we need to show our AS certificates and GCSE certificates?

I found this information from last year's thread, I hope its useful for you lot:

The UKCAT
All applicants applying*for 2013*entry are required to sit the UKCAT aptitude test prior to applying to the EMDP degree. Please refer to the UKCAT website for details on registration at*http://www.ukcat.ac.uk.The UKCAT is used in selection for all of our medicine entry routes (except for the Medicine Maxfax programme where applicants are already qualified dentists). As all students are undertaking a medicine programme and will eventually be integrated in the clinical years, we are keen to ensure that comparable data (which includes the UKCAT) is used in selection for all entry routes. As with all our programmes UKCAT subtest scores are used in selection, particularly post-interview for the EMDP to refine rankings.

Personal statement and reference
Your personal statement is one of the many factors in the overall assessment of your application. We are looking particularly for evidence of appropriate commitment to, and realistic appreciation of, the academic, physical and emotional demands of a medicine degree programme and career. We would normally expect that you will have undertaken some work experience in a caring environment and/or observation in a medical setting. If this is not possible, we look for evidence that you have worked in a setting where you can interact with the general public, e.g. in a pharmacy, check-out or restaurant. Communication skills and the ability to work successfully in a team are of great importance. We look for applicants who have participated as fully as possible in school or college life, making the most of the opportunities available to them and also demonstrated some experience of society beyond their immediate environment. Your interests, achievements and contribution to your community are taken into account in addition to academic ability. We aim to ensure that all of our students can cope with the heavy academic workload of the programme and display those professional qualities, skills and attitudes that help to make competent and caring medical professionals. We would expect your application to be strongly supported by your referee both in terms of academic achievements/potential and in terms of your character and suitability for medicine.

I applied last year.
They'll get back to you in January, mid-late jan.
Interviews are usually 11th and 12th of March.
If you get invited to interview, you have to upload your gcse and AS/A2 certificates :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
I applied last year.
They'll get back to you in January, mid-late jan.
Interviews are usually 11th and 12th of March.
If you get invited to interview, you have to upload your gcse and AS/A2 certificates :smile:

Ah thankyooooou :biggrin:
Seems like a long time from now.
Oh okay, what if you haven't got your AS certificates? Don't you get the certificates at the end of A2?

Also, how was the interview if you don't mind me asking?
Relaxed or not? Any tips?
Ah thankyooooou :biggrin:
Seems like a long time from now.
Oh okay, what if you haven't got your AS certificates? Don't you get the certificates at the end of A2?

Also, how was the interview if you don't mind me asking?
Relaxed or not? Any tips?

If you haven't got your AS, upload your gcse and explain to them that you'll get your AS at the end and I'm sure it'll be no problem.

Tbh I'm not a fan of MMI so I hated it and never felt relaxed at one point. I prefer panel interviews.
Funnily enough I'm applying again lol!
As long as you know the generic medical questions, keep calm and know your ethics well and be sharp on scientific/maths stuff then you should do well.
Reply 55
Ah okay, I don't know what I prefer, but the idea of having 7+ stations at both St Georges and Manchester is killing me looool :frown:
Yeah I guess so, it'll be an interesting experience :rolleyes:
Haha I'm applying to manchester too! They've changed it from group to major MMI :frown:
Lol st George's have actors in their MMI, put me off straight away :rofl:
Reply 57
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Haha I'm applying to manchester too! They've changed it from group to major MMI :frown:
Lol st George's have actors in their MMI, put me off straight away :rofl:

LOOL I know omg. Why they changing it for. Hate them for doing that.
Oi. Don't put me off LOOOL; you do realise I've already applied, and there's no going back, I guess I'll have to put on a show with that actor :colone: :colondollar:
LOOL I know omg. Why they changing it for. Hate them for doing that.
Oi. Don't put me off LOOOL; you do realise I've already applied, and there's no going back, I guess I'll have to put on a show with that actor :colone: :colondollar:

Haha ikr change it next year :angry:
lol tbh st George's is a great uni but the interview process creeps me out :redface:
you have to put on a show, you have to get into it :rofl:
Reply 59
LOOOOL allow it. I'll just go with the flow, I'm not the best at interviews, and yes I have panic attacks, but once I'm into the mode and feel comfortable, I don't shutup :smile:
Yeah same, the interview process creeps me out, but it's close to where I live, approximately 5 minutes away. So yeah, and I'm used to the area I guess
King's is my first choice though, Kings and St Georges :cool:

How about you mate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending