The Student Room Group

GCSE Food Technology

Hi,
I've just started year 10 and I am doing Food Technology. Our teacher hasn't explained anything very clearly and she has just handed out sheets and is expecting us all to get on with it. I'm starting to get a little worried because I am completely confused about the controlled assessment aspect of the course. I know that our school does the AQA exam board if that helps. I was just wondering if anyone had a copy of their controlled assessment that they could send to me or anything because I am completely confused and starting to freak out a little if I'm honest! I am especially worried about the evaluations that I assume we will have to do as part of the controlled assessment. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by chelsea2013
Hi,
I've just started year 10 and I am doing Food Technology. Our teacher hasn't explained anything very clearly and she has just handed out sheets and is expecting us all to get on with it. I'm starting to get a little worried because I am completely confused about the controlled assessment aspect of the course. I know that our school does the AQA exam board if that helps. I was just wondering if anyone had a copy of their controlled assessment that they could send to me or anything because I am completely confused and starting to freak out a little if I'm honest! I am especially worried about the evaluations that I assume we will have to do as part of the controlled assessment. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I got a B overall in the AQA Food Technology, the controlled assessment is quite simples really all you have to do is write up all the recipes you have done in lesson and explain the functions of certain ingredients in food also you have to do market research e.g. using a tally chart to find out what people like e.g. a triangle cake instead of a square cake making development you have to do a few of these in the coursework. Also you have to do a range of specifications which make sure you have followed your target mark you have to create a sheet saying your points for your chosen product e.g. a victoria sponge you could say in one point it must have a cream topping, or suit a £2-£3 market price these points have to be realistic and are quite easy. After you make each product which is about 6 on your chosen area e.g. cakes and you have to also have a picture of your product.ingredients and weight with functions, I used a chart to show my specification and how it suited that giving it a rate from 1-5 and also you have to place a area for a comment from a taster. Also for your final product make sure to do a food label for your product. Talk about quality control while making your product and how you were safe with using a knife e.g. to get rid of bacteria, finishing techniques to your products, textures and lastly moral, social issues and cultural issues including free range eggs, enviromental with food miles and religions including Halal, Judaism etc

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4545-W-TRB-SW.PDF

This will help hopefully gives you guidance with talking about flavours and what to write.
All the above is pretty much what u have to write in the evaluations i did mine on 2 sides of A4 cramped lol hope this helps :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ChocoholicCox
I got a B overall in the AQA Food Technology, the controlled assessment is quite simples really all you have to do is write up all the recipes you have done in lesson and explain the functions of certain ingredients in food also you have to do market research e.g. using a tally chart to find out what people like e.g. a triangle cake instead of a square cake making development you have to do a few of these in the coursework. Also you have to do a range of specifications which make sure you have followed your target mark you have to create a sheet saying your points for your chosen product e.g. a victoria sponge you could say in one point it must have a cream topping, or suit a £2-£3 market price these points have to be realistic and are quite easy. After you make each product which is about 6 on your chosen area e.g. cakes and you have to also have a picture of your product.ingredients and weight with functions, I used a chart to show my specification and how it suited that giving it a rate from 1-5 and also you have to place a area for a comment from a taster. Also for your final product make sure to do a food label for your product. Talk about quality control while making your product and how you were safe with using a knife e.g. to get rid of bacteria, finishing techniques to your products, textures and lastly moral, social issues and cultural issues including free range eggs, enviromental with food miles and religions including Halal, Judaism etc

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4545-W-TRB-SW.PDF

This will help hopefully gives you guidance with talking about flavours and what to write.
All the above is pretty much what u have to write in the evaluations i did mine on 2 sides of A4 cramped lol hope this helps :smile:

Ok thank you very much! I have checked out the link and it seems to be quit useful:smile: thanks again and congratulations on your result!
Original post by chelsea2013
Ok thank you very much! I have checked out the link and it seems to be quit useful:smile: thanks again and congratulations on your result!

no problem, thanks :smile:
Hi, i got an A overall in Food, and just got my result a month ago, i got an A in the C/A and an A in the exam, and really ended up loving the subject tbh!
if you need any help at all please PM me, or ask me anything :smile: it can be daunting at first but at the end you will end up being very proud of your folder :')
Reply 6
Original post by Undercover911
Hi, i got an A overall in Food, and just got my result a month ago, i got an A in the C/A and an A in the exam, and really ended up loving the subject tbh!
if you need any help at all please PM me, or ask me anything :smile: it can be daunting at first but at the end you will end up being very proud of your folder :')

thank you very much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending