The Student Room Group

Sneaking into Uni - Oxford

Im not enrolled into any university, though im wondering if i can just start turning up to lectures anyway.
Ive been sneaking into Pembroke college all summer to use the piano in their chapel so it seems easy enough to get in (as tourists are always looking around the colleges). I had heard somewhere that anyones welcome to attend, but only enrolled students are allowed to be graded / hand in homework.

How easy would it be to just turn up at a lecture in an oxford university?
Im thinking of doing engineering at pembroke.

Is it legal?
Is it doable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't even know if it'd be that useful. Most learning at Oxford takes place in 1 to 1, 2 to 1, or 3 to 1 tutorials with a professor. Good luck sneaking into that.
This is reminiscent of that Peep Show episode where Mark sneaks onto a history course in pursuit of a woman who served him in a shoe shop!
Reply 3
Even if you get caught what would the actual consequences be? They can't really do much, just kick you out with a warning probably.
Reply 4
Ill have to do some research i guess, corner some students as they leave the colleges and see what they think.
But with lessons starting at the beginning of october - i think? - id want to start turning up then instead of a few weeks late.
Reply 5
You'd miss tutorials and labs though.
haha this is incredible
Yeah, you wouldn't get direct access to reading material, seminars, tutor groups, advisory groups, module focus (as lectures are very broad), Some unis make you scan into lectures too to confirm attendance and have CCTV documenting. I doubt anything bad would come of you turning up, but it just wouldn't be very useful or a great use of your time.
Reply 8
You should complete work that they set, put your name on it and see what chaos it causes when they realize that you aren't even enrolled on the course.
Reply 9
Original post by Nelza
Im not enrolled into any university, though im wondering if i can just start turning up to lectures anyway.
Ive been sneaking into Pembroke college all summer to use the piano in their chapel so it seems easy enough to get in (as tourists are always looking around the colleges). I had heard somewhere that anyones welcome to attend, but only enrolled students are allowed to be graded / hand in homework.

Is it legal?
Is it doable?

Its illegal (trespassing and arguably theft) but it probably is doable yes. What you have been doing previously is also clearly illegal so i doubt you overly care. Hope you don't get asked questions though!
Reply 10
Original post by Nelza

Is it legal?
Is it doable?

You're not an Oxford student but looking to attend lectures; I'm the opposite. For certain subjects/lecturers, you may find yourself identified as an interloper on the grounds that you've bothered to turn up.

Most lectures are in the rather imposing Exam Schools, which is a different proposition to sneaking past a porter at a college. I have been asked for identification there (though admittedly on too few occasions to discourage you on those grounds alone). There are almost always two or three staff watching the doors. Unless the lecture series was particularly well attended, you might well find that either the lecturer or other students start to wonder about you.

In any event, you won't be enjoying the lectures very much, sitting there wondering if you are going to be turfed out any moment. For my subject at least (History), there are at least two more attractive alternatives for you. First is by 'personal invitation of the lecturer concerned'. If you have a genuine interest, a courteous email to the tutor may do the trick. Second is by paying a fee: 'apply to the Fees Clerk, University Offices, Wellington Square, Oxford OX1 2JD, who will provide information on the fee required'.
Original post by Lord Harold
This is reminiscent of that Peep Show episode where Mark sneaks onto a history course in pursuit of a woman who served him in a shoe shop!

'Is that how easy it is to steal some education? Bloody hell, who's in charge? The world's just people walking around, going in to rooms and saying things!'
Original post by Lord Harold

I saw that the other night haha!
Reply 13
I've been saying this for a long time ! you can just stroll into a lot of universities and use their facilities.
Original post by Daniel George
I saw that the other night haha!

Tis one of my favorites!
Reply 15
Original post by shoshin
'apply to the Fees Clerk, University Offices, Wellington Square, Oxford OX1 2JD, who will provide information on the fee required'.

I queried the Fees Clerk a few months ago regarding the possibility of attending lectures for a fee. They were not aware of any fee-based scheme and advised me to contact the relevant department and seek permission from lecturers on a lecture by lecture basis.

It's strange since university websites in many places suggest to apply to the Fees Clerk.

This post provides some background http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1780986&p=34359831#post34359831

There is nothing in the current statutes and reglations dealing with fees for lecture attendence.

Contacting lecturers seems to be the proper way to go.
So this is how edgy nerds get their kicks.
Joker
Reply 18
Original post by OU Fairy
I queried the Fees Clerk a few months ago regarding the possibility of attending lectures for a fee. They were not aware of any fee-based scheme and advised me to contact the relevant department and seek permission from lecturers on a lecture by lecture basis.

It's strange since university websites in many places suggest to apply to the Fees Clerk.

This post provides some background http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1780986&p=34359831#post34359831

Contacting lecturers seems to be the proper way to go.

My quotes about paying a fee come from the prominent notice at the top of all of our termly History lecture lists, like this one:

http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/fileadmin/ohf/documents/Lecture_Lists/Seminars_MT12/MT2012_FINAL_23-10-2012.pdf :dontknow:
Reply 19
Original post by shoshin
My quotes about paying a fee come from the prominent notice at the top of all of our termly History lecture lists, like this one:

http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/fileadmin/ohf/documents/Lecture_Lists/Seminars_MT12/MT2012_FINAL_23-10-2012.pdf :dontknow:

A similar notice on other lecture lists and websites of several departments is what prompted me to contact the Fees Clerk in the first place. I was surprised by their reply.

I will follow up on this and contact the department this week. Perhaps they will point me back to the Fees Clerk :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending