The Student Room Group

Loughborough vs Durham for aerospace engineering

Hey guys I need to apply to uni real soon (like 2 weeks eek!!) and I was wondering which uni i should apply to...

I want to do aerospace engineering but also like general engineering courses.
GCSE 9A* 1A
AS results AAAA
A2 prediction A*A*A*
Subjects at A2 maths, physics, chem

I'm already applying to Cambridge, Imperial, Sheffield and Queen Mary.. I was wondering about the 5th option...

Loughborough or Durham?!!!
Any opinions?
Please include what type of scene there is at the uni and which u think is better..
I love the old buildings at Durham and the collegiate system but hate that it's so far away from London and it has A*AA offer
Loughborough has AAA offer but it doesn't have colleges and therefore is not as attractive to me...

Does anyone feel like helping at all? Would be much appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Reply 2
I'm biased, and did straight Mechanical rather than Automotive (mechanical, for planes) but Loughborough is certainly a cracking University.

Its a plate glass not a redbrick/collegiate, so the builders are newer, but aside from aesthetics and perhaps some hang up on historic reputations I dont think there much relevance in that, and certainly with the UK Loughborough has an excellent and well founded reputation for engineering.

I don't know a lot about Durham, but its also a good university as far as I know (my cousin did philosophy there, anyway). I applied to Machester, Leeds, Nottingham, Warwick and Liverpool and picked Loughborough for the campus, the facilities/workshops, and the fact it was actively claiming a push for exposure to practical work and ties with industry, which as a practical person who wanted a job in engineering design, was what I was after. Three years from graduating, I'm now being flown around the world by JCB to manage overseas manufacturing and new product design and introduction, loving engineering and my work. Which I count as a success story.

What do you want from the course?

What do you consider your interests are?

Where do you want to live?

Daniel
Reply 3
Original post by dhutch
I'm biased, and did straight Mechanical rather than Automotive (mechanical, for planes) but Loughborough is certainly a cracking University.

Its a plate glass not a redbrick/collegiate, so the builders are newer, but aside from aesthetics and perhaps some hang up on historic reputations I dont think there much relevance in that, and certainly with the UK Loughborough has an excellent and well founded reputation for engineering.

I don't know a lot about Durham, but its also a good university as far as I know (my cousin did philosophy there, anyway). I applied to Machester, Leeds, Nottingham, Warwick and Liverpool and picked Loughborough for the campus, the facilities/workshops, and the fact it was actively claiming a push for exposure to practical work and ties with industry, which as a practical person who wanted a job in engineering design, was what I was after. Three years from graduating, I'm now being flown around the world by JCB to manage overseas manufacturing and new product design and introduction, loving engineering and my work. Which I count as a success story.

What do you want from the course?

What do you consider your interests are?

Where do you want to live?

Daniel

Hey :smile: thanx for replying

From the course I wanted some good links with the aerospace industry, but apart from that I'm no too fussed. It would be nice if there was a lot of support given by lecturers though, an I don't mind hard work but would still like some free time..

My interests... Urm, well I don't particularly like that many sports or music, I just like an active social life but I don't drink (:P) so it would be nice if there was something to do other than nightclubbing...

Where do I want to live.. On campus, not too far from uni with a bunch of other students... So uni accommodation for the first year but for consequent years I'm not sure what the protocol is... Do I have to find my own house, and is this expensive?!! So many questions!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi,

Its good to see another aerospace engineering applicant (i'm going for aerospace also).

I am looking at Loughborough too, i briefly looked at Durham's website and the course structures for each course seem to be different between the two. With Loughborough, it appears to be aerospace based from the off, looking at aircraft structure etc, however with Durham it looks like the course content will be general for the first 3 years, with the final year being specified.

Maybe if you don't want to commit to aerospace just yet and experience engineering on the whole, possibly Durham would be the better choice.
Reply 5
Original post by _Morsey_
Hi,

Its good to see another aerospace engineering applicant (i'm going for aerospace also).

I am looking at Loughborough too, i briefly looked at Durham's website and the course structures for each course seem to be different between the two. With Loughborough, it appears to be aerospace based from the off, looking at aircraft structure etc, however with Durham it looks like the course content will be general for the first 3 years, with the final year being specified.

Maybe if you don't want to commit to aerospace just yet and experience engineering on the whole, possibly Durham would be the better choice.

Yeah that's one of the reasons I like it :smile:

Which other unis are you applying to??
I was thinking
Cambridge
Imperial
Durham
Bristol
Queen Mary

Do you think they're too risky?!! I was gonna go for Sheffield instead of Bristol but now I prefer Bristol... :0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Its your 5th choice university. Really, you should just pick the university you like better in terms of course content, lecture room, city, etc. Just pick either, it doesn't matter, both are good universities.
Reply 7
Original post by Reddish
Yeah that's one of the reasons I like it :smile:

Which other unis are you applying to??
I was thinking
Cambridge
Imperial
Durham
Bristol
Queen Mary

Do you think they're too risky?!! I was gonna go for Sheffield instead of Bristol but now I prefer Bristol... :0

I am applying to;
Bath
Bristol
Sheffield
Brunel
Loughborough

I don't think your choices are too risky if you're confident on getting those A2 predictions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I am applying to;
Bath
Bristol
Sheffield
Brunel
Loughborough

I don't think your choices are too risky if you're confident on getting those A2 predictions.

What's your first choice? Have you visited Bristol? I haven't..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Reddish
What's your first choice? Have you visited Bristol? I haven't..

I don't know, i am a Welsh Student so the Welsh Baccalaureate changes my offers slightly. I would like to go to Bath, but i think Bristol would be Firm with Sheffield as Insurance. Only thing putting me off Bristol as the fact it isn't campus based.
Reply 10
I don't know, i am a Welsh Student so the Welsh Baccalaureate changes my offers slightly. I would like to go to Bath, but i think Bristol would be Firm with Sheffield as Insurance. Only thing putting me off Bristol as the fact it isn't campus based.

Same :0 I really love campus based unis and my heart is totally set on Cambridge but that's probably not gonna happen so I like Bristol, but I'm probably just gonna end up going to imperial if I don't get in to cam because I live in London and my parents would prefer I went to a London uni an stuff...

Anyway I'm rambling!!!

But why would you put Bristol as firm if u prefer bath?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Reddish
Same :0 I really love campus based unis and my heart is totally set on Cambridge but that's probably not gonna happen so I like Bristol, but I'm probably just gonna end up going to imperial if I don't get in to cam because I live in London and my parents would prefer I went to a London uni an stuff...

Anyway I'm rambling!!!

But why would you put Bristol as firm if u prefer bath?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imperial is quite a good choice. Although having been to London recently during the heatwave, not sure i could study there year round (would be quite a change moving from UK's smallest city to UK's biggest).

Well with Bath the offer would be A*AA (or AAA+Pass), with Bristol it is A*AA (or A*A+Pass). I got AABC for AS results, discontinuing the subject i got B in. Then i am left with AAC, with the C being in OCR Chemistry which i find the worst of my three subjects. I am aiming to improve it but not sure i could secure that third A although i have read Bath have taken A*AB equivalent to AAA.

As you can see, it is an offer kerfuffle
Reply 12
Original post by Reddish
Hey :smile: thanx for replying

From the course I wanted some good links with the aerospace industry, but apart from that I'm no too fussed. It would be nice if there was a lot of support given by lecturers though, an I don't mind hard work but would still like some free time..

My interests... Urm, well I don't particularly like that many sports or music, I just like an active social life but I don't drink (:P) so it would be nice if there was something to do other than nightclubbing...

Where do I want to live.. On campus, not too far from uni with a bunch of other students... So uni accommodation for the first year but for consequent years I'm not sure what the protocol is... Do I have to find my own house, and is this expensive?!! So many questions!!!

I guess I was unclear, but I rather more meant your interests in terms of engineering, design, etc, rather than you weekend plans.

Sounds also like you don't really have any plans as to where in the country you want to live north/south/etc.

Cambridge is a cracking Uni by all accounts, but I would be slightly wary of an oxbridge engineer and or engineering course. Maybe wrongly so, but its a consideration. Again, depends on the field. Apparently 40% of graduate engineers become accountants, I dont expect there would be a huge overlap between that number and a soundly grounded design engineering with an understanding of practical applications. Again, maybe im wrong, but there where certainly people on my course who while brilliant on paper, I wouldn't trust to change a light bulb, happens anywhere.

Daniel
Reply 13
I would recommend anyone who can to spend first year in halls, but after that, its common to rent a house nearby with some other students, which is usually substantially cheaper. And as is the case with housing, its often a trade of between cost/location/size/condition.

Quick Reply

Latest