The Student Room Group

Praying Salah at work (Daily Muslim prayers)

Hi,

I'm not too sure how many muslims there are in here, but I as a new graduate looking for employment and being a practicing muslim, I need a few pointers.
For those already in employment, how did you let the interviewer know that you'll need to pray? I was thinking of this scenario, which would take place at the second interview, assuming there was a telephone interview beforehand (or first face to face interview if that's how they do things):

Interviewer- do you have any questions or comments? (usual question asked at the end)
Me- (first I would ask about their training or career progression) Also, I do have another query, because I am muslim, I will need to do some prayers during working hours. As the season changes, the prayers I will need to do at work will vary between 1-3, they last for a maximum of 5 minutes each. How could you arrange that?

As the discussion goes, I would also mentioned that I am willing to spread my allocated break time according to the prayers timings.

Any comments? *this thread is more geared towards practising muslims, but any useful comment is welcome*
Reply 1
Don't mention it at the interview. What possible good can it do?
Reply 2
hey I dn't think u should be worried at all, personally I think that the employer should take your ability into account and not your religion ,if he opposes you could suggest that you'll pray during break times but when the timings change could 5 min be permitted, if he still opposes say u'll do 5 min overtime, if he still opposes then find a diff job cz if he can't respect ur religion he won't respect u. Anyway best of luck, just use a polite tone ,he'll be more than happy with u.
Reply 3
I'd just like to add that I wear shalwar qameez and when I was looking for ajob a few people told me to dress western to show employers that I was not outdated etc but I went in shalwar kameez and successfully got the first job and proved that employers look for abilities no at what u wear.
Reply 4
Original post by Bham_Studentessa
Hi,

I'm not too sure how many muslims there are in here, but I as a new graduate looking for employment and being a practicing muslim, I need a few pointers.
For those already in employment, how did you let the interviewer know that you'll need to pray? I was thinking of this scenario, which would take place at the second interview, assuming there was a telephone interview beforehand (or first face to face interview if that's how they do things):

Interviewer- do you have any questions or comments? (usual question asked at the end)
Me- (first I would ask about their training or career progression) Also, I do have another query, because I am muslim, I will need to do some prayers during working hours. As the season changes, the prayers I will need to do at work will vary between 1-3, they last for a maximum of 5 minutes each. How could you arrange that?

As the discussion goes, I would also mentioned that I am willing to spread my allocated break time according to the prayers timings.

Any comments? *this thread is more geared towards practising muslims, but any useful comment is welcome*

Dont worry hun if I were you I would just say that :smile: make sure the interview before that goes really well haha just to give a good impression in case he/she decides to give the job to someone else who would be "less hassle" but only mean emnployers would think like that
Go ahead and say it and try make a deal/agreement like the other girl suggested like working 5 mins overtime or allocated breaks like you said yourself ... :smile: dont worry inshallah you'll get the job! Oh and I see you live in Birmingham by your username? There's loads of muslims there so that plays in your favor as employers in Bham probably were asked this question many times haha
I'm with M1011. This question that can await until after you get an offer.

At the interview stage, ask about diversity, women in business initiatives, community, CSR arrangements and culture
Employers should let you do this as long as it doesn't interfere with your work too much (ie. not walking out of client meetings to pray). It doesn't really need to be brought up at interview.
Reply 7
Deal with it after they offer the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending