The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

When did you get a reply from St. Andrews?

When did you hear from St Andrews after sending off your application? I've heard that they really take their time before replying! I'm applying this year and will send my application around the end of October! What do you think, will I hear anything before Christmas?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lia.
When did you hear from St Andrews after sending off your application? I've heard that they really take their time before replying! I'm applying this year and will send my application around the end of October! What do you think, will I hear anything before Christmas?

I applied in December and they didn't get back until March, I really don't think it makes any difference how quickly you apply, they are just very slow at it.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Lia.

Depends where you're from, I think. From what I noticed last year, UK students didn't hear until March, sometimes even later. I (international student) applied in October and had my offer by November.
Reply 3
Original post by ElizabethRG
Depends where you're from, I think. From what I noticed last year, UK students didn't hear until March, sometimes even later. I (international student) applied in October and had my offer by November.

There is a different process for North American applicants
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissions/ug/int/northamericanapplicants/
compared to other international
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissions/ug/int/apply/ucas/
which seem to be included in the gathered field for decisions after the closing date of 15 Jan.
My older son, applying from England, heard late Feb, and my younger son 1 April.
Reply 4

I hope it's ok to ask, how "international" are you? :smile: I mean, are you from the EU or even from outside of the EU?
Original post by Lia.
I hope it's ok to ask, how "international" are you? :smile: I mean, are you from the EU or even from outside of the EU?

Canada, so outside the EU :smile:
I had my interview in December, got my offer in early April.
I applied in October last year and got a response on the 29th March. They were the last uni to respond and it was like the day of the UCAS given initial deadline for universities to reply.
Original post by Lia.

I applied in early october and received an offer just over a week i applied, so it was pretty quick
Reply 9
I'm a UK student, l applied in early November last year and got my reply in late February
Got mine in March last year.. . The wait was a killer.
Reply 11
I applied in October and still heard nothing!! the wait is killer! especially when st andrews' one of your top choices....
Reply 12
I am an international graduate student (USA) and they told me 4-6 weeks and it was 6 weeks on the dot. But I got accepted so it was all worthwhile!
Reply 13
It's so stupid that International Students get their offers first and fill up places just because they pay more than us.. I'm glad not all unis are like this.. it's incredibly unfair for those who can't 'buy' a place.
Reply 14
LSE I genuinely resent that comment. Sure our tuition might be higher by 5k or so, but that does not mean we are buying a place, especially at the graduate level that I have been dealing with. Look at the data that shows how every school has a decent percentage of international students for top universities. One, it is a benefit for the university to have as large of a diverse population as possible, bringing new perspectives and ideas. Second, it helps the prestige and importance of the university by allowing the MOST qualified individuals in to the program. St. Andrews takes about 25-35 postgraduate students in the program I was admitted into, and only a small percentage are international. All students, international and home, were given the same deadline for response. Sure it was not the general undergraduate admissions process because it was graduate school, but I believe the merits of my research, published writing and being a successful student allowed me to get in. If you are mad because an international students "buy" a place, then I believe you are mistaken and probably are salty about not getting a place.

For example, look at Oxford or Cambridge. It is unarguable to state that they are "better" and "more prestigious" universities than St. Andrews (but St. Andrews is in that top 5), but they also have a significantly higher number of international students compared to St. Andrews. In this case, I think your belief has no real correlation with the actual university.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Bob311
LSE I genuinely resent that comment. Sure our tuition might be higher by 5k or so, but that does not mean we are buying a place, especially at the graduate level that I have been dealing with. Look at the data that shows how every school has a decent percentage of international students for top universities. One, it is a benefit for the university to have as large of a diverse population as possible, bringing new perspectives and ideas. Second, it helps the prestige and importance of the university by allowing the MOST qualified individuals in to the program. St. Andrews takes about 25-35 postgraduate students in the program I was admitted into, and only a small percentage are international. All students, international and home, were given the same deadline for response. Sure it was not the general undergraduate admissions process because it was graduate school, but I believe the merits of my research, published writing and being a successful student allowed me to get in. If you are mad because an international students "buy" a place, then I believe you are mistaken and probably are salty about not getting a place.

For example, look at Oxford or Cambridge. It is unarguable to state that they are "better" and "more prestigious" universities than St. Andrews (but St. Andrews is in that top 5), but they also have a significantly higher number of international students compared to St. Andrews. In this case, I think your belief has no real correlation with the actual university.

Sorry, wasn't speaking about postgrads. I'm speaking about Americans who pay 18k a year (about 18x what Scottish/EU tuitions are) and they get in with terrible grades just because they have money. It's ridiculous.

Again, you misinterpreted my comment.
Original post by LSE1996
Sorry, wasn't speaking about postgrads. I'm speaking about Americans who pay 18k a year (about 18x what Scottish/EU tuitions are) and they get in with terrible grades just because they have money. It's ridiculous.

Excuse me, but international undergrads have to meet requirements that are just a difficult as those that the UK students have to meet. We in no-way "buy our way in". There may be fewer applicants-to-places ratio because of the high cost, but international students have to have exceptional grades to get in. I personally graduated from my high school with distinction (higher than honours at my school), and I can guarantee you that most of the Americans, Canadians, and others here did the same.

Before you criticise, you should actually know what you're talking about.

Also, internationals pay approximately £16,000 a year in tuition.

I understand that you're bitter about your own chances, but that is no reason to make such ridiculous comments.
Reply 17
Original post by LSE1996

I apologize for not speaking about undergraduate admissions. I do think an example here would work. As an American, Harvard University is viewed as one of, if not the "top" institution. I know someone very close to me who attends Harvard as an undergraduate. She is smart, good grades, nice family. But she was nowhere near the normal applicant standards in order to attend. She had one thing going for her: her father was an alumni who won 2 olympic medals at his time there. Did she deserve her spot? Maybe. Maybe not. She is wealthy and comes from a background Harvard deemed important enough to let her fill a spot.

The point of this true story is that there are always going to be exceptions to the rule, especially in a case like this. But overall, I think the generalization you are making is completely unsubstantiated. Sure 1 out of every couple hundred might be an important alumni's child or a future king (I'm sure he was more than qualified).

Also, 16k in pounds is about 25k in dollars. That is HALF the average cost of tuition in the states. My undergraduate tuition is close to 60k a year. For four years. Over 200k to get an undergraduate degree (I have a scholarship that pays for it thanks to athletics, but not everyone does). So 25k is an attractive price for most families in the states.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
I applied in November and got my offer in March. They do like to take their time so don't worry about it. :smile:
Reply 19
Excuse me, but international undergrads have to meet requirements that are just a difficult as those that the UK students have to meet. We in no-way "buy our way in". There may be fewer applicants-to-places ratio because of the high cost, but international students have to have exceptional grades to get in. I personally graduated from my high school with distinction (higher than honours at my school), and I can guarantee you that most of the Americans, Canadians, and others here did the same.

Before you criticise, you should actually know what you're talking about.

Also, internationals pay approximately £16,000 a year in tuition.

I understand that you're bitter about your own chances, but that is no reason to make such ridiculous comments.

Don't try and make everyone think I don't know what I'm talking about. My friend got into st andrews from a private school with 1700 on the SAT OK? Can you read this? And so did many of his friends who went on graduate from St Andrews? UK Students have to get AAA at A Level and let me tell YOU since you seem to know it all having AAA at A level is like having a 2300 on the SAT. So if you think there isn't bias because u bring more money to the university who's had budget cut after budget cut then you are Wrong.

That said, I absolutely adore St.Andrews and the fact that you can interact with so many different nationalities but let's face it, americans have an easier time getting in then Scottish/UK/EU students. And thats great that you do, good for you as St.Andrews is an amazing world-class university. All my american friends seem to agree to it as well so I guess I have a point somewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending