The Student Room Group

Computer Science Questions

Hi, newbie to TSR here. I have a few questions regarding CS and such.. Apologies if there are tons of threads like this.

First of all, in order to study CS at uni, should I start learning to program now (I have just started AS levels)? I've delved into Python over summer but now that school has started (I have other commitments too inc rugby), I am strapped for time thought that doesn't mean it'd be impossible at all. Unis do state that it is not necessarily 'required' to have knowledge of any programming languages but.. in reality, would I be at a huge disadvantage?

Secondly, out of Oxford and Cambridge, which uni would be 'better' for CS (many factors to consider I know)? And if I were to submit an application for Cambridge, should I retake my S1 paper (took year early with C1 - got 87 UMS marks)? As I've heard that they take a mean score of your AS grades..

In order to ensure I get a place at Oxbridge, what should I be doing specifically (bar getting good grades obv)..?
I did some work experience in August at an IT firm (a lot more required?). I also got 10 A*s and 1 B (english lang lol) at gcse btw and my AS choices atm are maths, fmaths, chem, physics and french.
I know this question has been asked countless times but some bespoke advice for a CS hopeful would be much appreciated.

Final inquiry (I promise). I have signed up for the EPQ and I am thinking about creating a computer program for it - I'd be very grateful for opinions, tips on this and program ideas.

Sorry for wall of text lol... thanks in advance for any responses.

EDIT: got remarked, all A*s now
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
195 views and no one?

Any answers would be appreciated.
Reply 2
Original post by Invertek
Hi, newbie to TSR here. I have a few questions regarding CS and such.. Apologies if there are tons of threads like this.

First of all, in order to study CS at uni, should I start learning to program now (I have just started AS levels)? I've delved into Python over summer but now that school has started (I have other commitments too inc rugby), I am strapped for time thought that doesn't mean it'd be impossible at all. Unis do state that it is not necessarily 'required' to have knowledge of any programming languages but.. in reality, would I be at a huge disadvantage?

Secondly, out of Oxford and Cambridge, which uni would be 'better' for CS (many factors to consider I know)? And if I were to submit an application for Cambridge, should I retake my S1 paper (took year early with C1 - got 87 UMS marks)? As I've heard that they take a mean score of your AS grades..

In order to ensure I get a place at Oxbridge, what should I be doing specifically (bar getting good grades obv)..?
I did some work experience in August at an IT firm (a lot more required?). I also got 10 A*s and 1 B (english lang lol) at gcse btw and my AS choices atm are maths, fmaths, chem, physics and french.
I know this question has been asked countless times but some bespoke advice for a CS hopeful would be much appreciated.

Final inquiry (I promise). I have signed up for the EPQ and I am thinking about creating a computer program for it - I'd be very grateful for opinions, tips on this and program ideas.

Sorry for wall of text lol... thanks in advance for any responses.

Programming experience is not required to apply for any CS course and it would certainly not put you at a disadvantage. Most applicants would not have any programming experience. I recommend that you use all your available time to focus on your AS studies. Since you are considering applying for Oxbridge you would need a minimum of A grades across all your subjects as well at least 90%+ UMS for Cambridge. A better academic background is far more important than programming experience.

Yes, I would retake the S1 unit and try and get near 100% as possible to boost your overall Maths UMS as Cambridge will look at that very closely. (But you will still have to list all retakes as well as original marks for modules on the Cambridge SAQ if you choose to apply)

Alongside your studies, I would recommend picking up an introductory computer science textbook and slowly reading through, understanding what computer science is about. If you are considering applying for Oxford, then once you have covered C1 & C2, perhaps have a look at some of the past MAT (Oxford entrance test) papers. Work experience is NOT required but will make you a more interesting applicant. Your GCSE results are impressive on the whole. I know that Oxford use GCSEs in their selection process, I can't be sure how they would responsive to a 'B' in a core subject. You have chosen relevant subjects - good.

Doing an EPQ is a great idea but only if you have the time, since you are doing 5 ASs. I haven't heard many people doing a development project for their EPQ - definitely sounds unique. You could equally research a particular field in computer science. The idea I had (before I stopped doing it) was research into the importance of algorithms focusing on the RSA algorithm and PageRank.
Original post by Invertek
x

Congratulations on your excellent GCSE results. (We really aren't going to be worried about the "B".)

We talk in detail here about what we're looking for in candidates: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/why_oxford/what_do_tutors_look_for?.html
We aren't looking for students with any specific knowledge of computing (although we do want students with a genuine interest in the subject.) We are very much looking for students with a real proven flair for mathematics.

The next step is to get a great set of AS results (or equivalent) in really relevant subjects. We talk about subject choice here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/why_oxford/standard_conditional_offers.html You've got Maths and Further Maths in there, so that's excellent. (But don't forget - we only make offers based on three A Levels. We'll notice if you've done more but they wouldn't form part of any standard conditional offer from us.)

There's information on EPQs here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/why_oxford/standard_conditional_offers.html
And extra/super-curricular activities here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/how_to_apply/personal_statement.html

Plus information and advice on the various stages of the application process (personal statement, MAT test, interviews, etc.) http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/how_to_apply/index.html

It's worth looking carefully at the differences between the Oxford and Cambridge courses. There are some big differences. (For example, roughly speaking, with Oxford you focus on CompSci (& Maths) from the start; with Cambridge you start with a broader range of subjects.)

I hope that helps. Do feel free to get in touch if you have more questions we can help with.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you very much both of you.

Quick Reply

Latest