The Student Room Group

GCSE grades for Law

It seems to be said by alot of people that GCSE's are becoming more and more of an importanting factor in selecting who universities accept for their law courses.

I am particularly wondering whether the following universities; bristol, durham, warwick, cambridge and others of the same prestige would look closely at GCSE results and although I know that there is not real answer would like to see what people think.

Do you think that there is a specific number of A*s that they are looking for and with what sort of grades do you think you would be at a disadvantage with, especially considering places like Warwick have 20 applicants per place?

If you attend one of these universities or one similar and study law or have been offered a place what are your GCSE grades?

Or if anyone has been rejected on what they think was on the basis of slightly poor (for their standards by no means poor by normal standards.) GCSE results?

Thanks

Lollie xXx

Scroll to see replies

it relates to competition i.e. there are two or more candidates applying for the last place with the same predicted grades, same quality of personal statement etc etc but say one candidate got 10 A*s and the other 1 A* and the rest As and Bs...the place is likely to go to the candidate with the 10 A*s...but for example Manchester University requires you to have 5 As at GCSE to apply for law
Reply 2
I think the uni's who dont look at the LNAT (LSE, Warwick, Manchester) would look at GCSEs much more because pretty much all applicants at top unis will be predicted AAA, therefore, apart from GCSEs, there isnt really much else to look at which shows academic ability.
Reply 3
I heard from a careers adviser about someone who was rejected for a training contract. When she asked for feedback, the firm said a D for GCSE Art showed lack of consistency in her academic record... :eek:
Reply 4
A good set of GCSE's (A*'s, A's and B's) are obviously a big advantage. Ideally I'd say, if applying to the top uni's for Law, less than 4 A*'s is likely to disadvantage you. However, a top LNAT score can make up for not-so-excellent GCSE's. So effectively the candidate with 4 A*'s, 2 A's and 4 B's + LNAT score of 22 is going to look better than the candidate with 7 A*, 4 A's but a rubbish LNAT of 13 or whatever.
Reply 5
I'm accepted into Durham for LAW on 3 As at A level in History/Geog/Eng.Lit. My LNAT score was damned good though.
My GCSE score was 3A*, 5As, 3Bs (B=F.Tech/Maths/German).

I think they only offer like 120 places Eu wide as well. That's what they said at the intro thingy.
Reply 6
Well, my friend (m1kes on this board) got an offer from Warwick and I think that he claims he had average GCSEs. If I remember correctly he got an A, and than a smattering of Bs and Cs (sorry, if I'm wrong :wink:).

Of course, a good set of GCSEs are going to be an advantage, but if you don't have 10 A*s you certainly won't find yourself precluded from applying to the top universities.
Reply 7
I got into Oxford, Durham, Bristol, UCL, LSE, and Manchester for law with 7A*s and 3.5 As at GCSE. I know someone who was rejected from Manchester with AAAA at A-level for having a B in maths GCSE though. I think the general rule for Oxbridge is 5A*s+ and the rest As with the odd B in an unimportant subject. But thats after they take your school into account, so if you went to a crap state school it would be lower, a top private school higher, and probably about 8A*s in the most competitive colleges.
Reply 8
Strange that like! I got accepted into all unis that asked for 3As but was rejected from Manchester.. is that coz of my GCSE maths B?
Why does maths matter !? Either way I'm really bad at maths...

But I don't think you're right about 5A*s for Oxbridge... Just 'good' results would get you there provided you got yourself a nice 3/4 As at A level.
Reply 9
Dantanion
Either way I'm really bad at maths...

B at GCSE is hardly really bad!
Reply 10
Dantanion
Strange that like! I got accepted into all unis that asked for 3As but was rejected from Manchester.. is that coz of my GCSE maths B?
Why does maths matter !? Either way I'm really bad at maths...

But I don't think you're right about 5A*s for Oxbridge... Just 'good' results would get you there provided you got yourself a nice 3/4 As at A level.

That is what admission tutors have said as a rough guide. Obviously they make allowances for the school you went to and there are exceptions with people who have extra good applications otherwise. But this is basically the expectation.
Reply 11
TommehR
Well, my friend (m1kes on this board) got an offer from Warwick and I think that he claims he had average GCSEs. If I remember correctly he got an A, and than a smattering of Bs and Cs (sorry, if I'm wrong :wink:).

1A/6B/2C :smile:

Whilst I have no doubt that GCSEs are certainly a factor, and naturally, universities are going to at least bear them in mind, do not get too hung up on them. Your AS results and A2's are of much more significance.
Reply 12
lollie
It seems to be said by alot of people that GCSE's are becoming more and more of an importanting factor in selecting who universities accept for their law courses.

I am particularly wondering whether the following universities; bristol, durham, warwick, cambridge and others of the same prestige would look closely at GCSE results and although I know that there is not real answer would like to see what people think.

Do you think that there is a specific number of A*s that they are looking for and with what sort of grades do you think you would be at a disadvantage with, especially considering places like Warwick have 20 applicants per place?

If you attend one of these universities or one similar and study law or have been offered a place what are your GCSE grades?

Or if anyone has been rejected on what they think was on the basis of slightly poor (for their standards by no means poor by normal standards.) GCSE results?

Thanks

Lollie xXx

Depends where your applying and what school you went to. Provided that there are no extenuating circumstances a good guide for unis like Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick and Durham are:

For a lowly state school: Grades A-C at GCSE, including 5A's
A good state school: Grades A-B at GCSE, including 5A*'s
Independant/Private: Grades A-B at GCSE, lncluding 5A*'s

I know KCL are a bit more relaxed about GCSEs than UCL and LSE but only slightly.

Remember that the top law firms require mostly A's at GCSE as their requirement for application...
Reply 13
Godmaster
Depends where your applying and what school you went to. Provided that there are no extenuating circumstances a good guide for unis like Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick and Durham are:

For a lowly state school: Grades A-C at GCSE, including 5A's
A good state school: Grades A-B at GCSE, including 5A*'s
Independant/Private: Grades A-B at GCSE, lncluding 5A*'s

I know KCL are a bit more relaxed about GCSEs than UCL and LSE but only slightly.

Remember that the top law firms require mostly A's at GCSE as their requirement for application...

Sorry but the above seems to be ridiculous.
Did you read my circumstance?

I went to a 'good state school' and I certainly didn't achieve 5A* - Admittedly, you hedge with a 'good guide' but frankly, where on earth did you get this rubbish that 5A* is a prerequisite to entry into Warwick and others?

The 5A* myth has been ridiculed on here numerous times.
Reply 14
m1kes
Sorry but the above seems to be ridiculous.
Did you read my circumstance?

I went to a 'good state school' and I certainly didn't achieve 5A* - Admittedly, you hedge with a 'good guide' but frankly, where on earth did you get this rubbish that 5A* is a prerequisite to entry into Warwick and others?

The 5A* myth has been ridiculed on here numerous times.

Its a general rule of what they expect. And you will probably find that that about 60% of people at those universities are higher than that.
Reply 15
I go to a stae school with a pass rate of about 70%. How can I find out how good it is?
Reply 16
Couldxbe
I go to a stae school with a pass rate of about 70%. How can I find out how good it is?

Thats good. Doesnt necessarily follow that its good for A-level though. If you rank in the top 10 of year you will match up to someone with a clutch of A*s if thats any help.
Reply 17
yeah, thanks :smile: Hopefully I'll get my own clutch of A*s though :P
Reply 18
allymcb2
Its a general rule of what they expect. And you will probably find that that about 60% of people at those universities are higher than that.
No, it's complete rubbish. Yes, the top universities will look for a mixture of A*-B but an attempt to prescribe exactly what you need in accordance with what level of school you went to is patently absurd. I went to the same school as m1kes and I only got 4 A*s, I guess that means that I shouldn't have any offers.

For the majority of the top universities, as long as you don't have absolutely appalling GCSEs they won't really mind, especially if you have AAAA at AS level. The notion that you need a long string of A*s to get into a top university is a complete myth.
lollie

Thanks

Lollie xXx

I got a place at UCL with 2A*s and 2As only (rest were Bs and Cs). I don't know how much GCSEs really matter, especially compared to the LNAT.

Also it may depend on the standard of your school. Mine had a GCSE pass rate of 23% in my year, so that probably went in my favour. But in the end this is only one of many factors that lead to their decision of whether to offer you a place or not so I really doubt there's any specific requirements they're looking for, apart from maybe minimum grades of B in English & maths.

Latest

Trending

Trending