The Student Room Group

Most Respected and Relevant A-Levels Chart

Scroll to see replies

To be honest, I don't personally value the creative arts (because I'm crap at them), but I just saw this and think it's pretty poignant:

[video="youtube;iG9CE55wbtY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY[/video]

I think it's true each subject should be based on its own merits and people should play to their strengths.
Original post by DJMayes
I really want to stress something here which a lot of people using the same argument as you do not understand: people can enjoy number crunching as much as any other subject. I and several others spent my summer doing Maths for fun. I wonder how many people consider essays a good recreational activity?

(PRSOM)
I really want to stress this too - maths \neq number-crunching! I really have no idea why people think it's so weird for people to enjoy doing maths problems - it's like solving a puzzle and is no different to people doing sudokus or cross-words in their free time.
I know a person who enjoys writing Economics essays for fun so it may not be that scarce. :lol:
Reply 22
Original post by Felix Felicis
(PRSOM)
I really want to stress this too - maths \neq number-crunching! I really have no idea why people think it's so weird for people to enjoy doing maths problems - it's like solving a puzzle and is no different to people doing sudokus or cross-words in their free time.
I know a person who enjoys writing Economics essays for fun so it may not be that scarce. :lol:

If you want to go to university to study an Arts subject then you probably like essays or you'd presume so and I thought these people are in the majority:confused:

Its time we got back to the original topic because I have added an image of the A-Level Relevant and Respected Subjects Chart to the OP.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
If you want to go to university to study an Arts subject then you probably like essays or you'd presume so and I thought these people are in the majority:confused:

Its time we got back to the original topic because I have added an image of the A-Level Relevant and Respected Subjects Chart to the OP.

I'm sure people who want to study a Humanities/ Arts subject at university read a lot about their subject/ interests in their free time and/ or enjoy debating with people about the social implications of The Great Gatsby or whatever but for some reason I really can't see many people who would write a 4,000 word essay for no one else to look at/ criticise/ argue their points. I mean for maths/ science, when you do a problem for recreation, there's usually a definitive answer which you can check your solutions with and you enjoy the process of solving the puzzle, that's why I do it anyway. For humanities, I think of it as more of an interactive thing - there are lots of theories/ interpretations/ etc which is fine to read up about but eventually, I'd have thought you'd get bored and would want another person to speak to about your ideas/ debate with. So that may be why I can't see many people just writing an essay for fun to just admire it and leave it at that - it just seems kind of 'isolated' for lack of a better word. :lol:

Sorry for derailing your thread OP.
(PRSOM)

I get what you mean. Even though I didn't do a maths A level, in physics AS, I always felt really good after finishing a question "Only A grade students" should be able to understand. Made me do more revision haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Economics is facilitating?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JPL9457
if that where true, then biology chemistry and physics would not be respected a levels and would be blacklisted by universities

Did I say that they were bad subjects? I think you're missing my point, I'm saying that universities look for people with the required set of skills for the course they want to pursue. Taking sciences and then doing English at University is stupid, and also impossible, since you REQUIRE English Literature / Lang&Lit to do any English course.

Original post by adi19956
What?

It sounds to me like you have serious beef with scientists, you don't understand what they do (a lot of analysing data), you got picked on because you did film studies, you had bad science teachers, or you put too much dependence on being "cool".
At my school some of the best and funniest teachers are science teachers

I have no beef with scientists, up until this month I was one. I find science fascinating, and I don't remember discrediting it anywhere in my post, at all. Maybe you should re-read?

Also, who would pick on someone doing Film Studies? Are you kidding?

What is this rubbish?

Agreed - A levels in science/ maths don't require you to have good logical/ analytical skills but a degree in the subject does - scientists and mathematicians need to be able to think, work and write logically and coherently to succeed in their degree. I don't think you quite understand the level of rigour involved in a science/ maths degree.

Your anecdotal experience is not proof of anything. My maths teacher, for example, many people would regard as a 'cool guy'. :rolleyes:

This is rubbish - the vast majority of people (myself included) do not (wish to) seek a degree in science/ mathematics because they require some kind of validation of their intelligence. :rolleyes: People can (gasp) have a genuine interest in those subjects.

:lol: How is this even relevant to anything? You don't necessarily need to have a passion in maths science to be adequate at it - you certainly don't need one to bring yourself up to the level required to teach it at GCSE (or even A2) level.

I didn't say they don't require you to have logical/analytical skills, I said you can't expect to go from doing sciences to English. I don't think you quite understand what a degree in English is, it's constant reading and writing, you have to be able to structure your work like someone with an A2 in English - hence why it's required. If those skills weren't required, the requirements would be "English A Level OR Three Sciences".

I also didn't say that the only reason people take sciences is to validate their intelligence, are you kidding me?

You don't need the passion, no, but you'll be a ****ty teacher most likely. That's the whole point.

Maybe you should take AS English to boost that reading ability.

My Maths teacher did not have a passion for Maths that was very clear and She has left my school and is teaching A-Level this year never mind GCSE-She said that She will dread Calculus etc.I would actually like to see someone teach English without a passion in it because it would be incredibly tough.

Original post by DJMayes
Is this some kind of viral marketing for Half Life 3?

Seriously though, as interesting as your opinion on the respectability and relevancy of A Level subjects may be, I find the abundance of these threads a little disheartening.

I see what you mean but this is a student forum filled with students who want to get the best out of their education. It's only natural to be curious about finding stuff like this out. I do think people should stick to tables officially published though.

I can say from experience that it doesn't matter, and everything I said was correct. If you choose the best subjects for your expected degree, you'll do better. If you have a good reason for taking those subjects other than "it looks good", you'll do better.

It's all subjective. If you're going to study English at University then subjects like Film Studies would be perfectly fine and not frowned upon. And in fact, someone with English/Film Studies/History applying for an English course would have a better chance than someone who has Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, it's just simple logic, really - sciences don't convey that you have analytical skills nor a good essay writing ability.

The first part is simple logic - people applying for subject A at degree level are generally (In before Law) better off taking the subject at A Level as possible. The second part is complete rubbish and I have never before heard English students claim that their unique talent of finding hidden meanings behind everything they read is more deserving of being called analysis than anything a Maths or Science student does. I will concede the point about essay writing but it is a stupid point, akin to me pointing out that Maths is a better subject to take for a Maths degree than Performing Arts because you actually do some sums.

It's complete rubbish, is it? "Finding hidden meanings" the fact that you said that just pretty much makes everything else you say null. It's not about being able to find out what certain things connote, it's about how things are structured, how to put together a perfect piece of literature, you have to write an 8000 word essay during an English course at University, I'd like to see someone with a C in GCSE English and no English A Level do that, really. When was the last time you wrote an essay for any Science? You guys are ridiculous. Listen, I made the mistake of not pointing out that you can't get in to an English course without an A Level in English, so that's the only reason these replies are coming in.

Every teacher I've ever met who was the 'cool guy', you know, the one who is just an idol, someone you look up to, or at least someone you get along with really well, they've always been teachers of a subject that people call 'vocational' or 'useless'. If you really want to live a life of crunching numbers to make yourself seem smart, then hey, go ahead.

Choosing a subject because "the teacher I like does it" is an even worse reasoning than doing it for prestige.

Where did I even imply that? I just said that the happiest teachers I've ever met have been teachers of vocational subjects, how the hell can I take a subject because of a teacher when I don't know any of them at enrolment? I was simply talking about how a lot of the science teachers I've met seem to have been lacking in motivation or at least teaching ability, unable to articulate properly. For the record, I've been to three different colleges, all pretty high on the league tables (in terms of public sixth form colleges) and I've met about 12 of them.

I really want to stress something here which a lot of people using the same argument as you do not understand: people can enjoy number crunching as much as any other subject. I and several others spent my summer doing Maths for fun. I wonder how many people consider essays a good recreational activity?

If you really think I don't understand that people enjoy sciences, you're wrong. I personally love Maths, I also love Physics, I spent my summer doing a lot of Maths, so you can get off your pedestal on that one. And your comment about essays not being a good recreational activity pretty much just devalued your entire post and made you look like a complete hypocrite, and a tool. But hey, that's all students are, pretty much. Devoid of life experience and any valuable knowledge about anything, just making threads like "WHICH A LEVEL IS DABES" and eating pot noodle for dinner.

To reply to this anyway, essays aren't just 'essays', they can be on anything. You could write a story, I'm sure you've read a story or at least watched a movie that contained one before. You could write a story, develop your creative writing ability, you could write reviews, in training to become a journalist, you know, the people who convey all the news in the world? You can also write essays about other subjects - like History, or write for a documentary, or write an essay on Maths or Science.

But even with a degree in Film or English, you could still teach the subject as a backup. I'd like to see anyone without passion in Maths or a Science try to teach it.

Seriously? Anyone with a degree in Maths is more than technically capable of teaching the subject at GCSE/A Level. I would prefer it if people who weren't passionate stayed out of teaching altogether but this applies to the Arts and Humanities equally as much.

I actually agree with your main point - people should learn what they enjoy learning, and shouldn't do subjects they do not enjoy out of perceived prestige. However yours is one of the worst argued cases for this point I have ever seen.

I didn't say they couldn't, I said I'd like to see them try. Because without a passion, they'd be bored. You wouldn't really understand what being a teacher is like, it's pretty much hell if you don't like your subject, and that's why most teachers change schools or try to find other things to do - most don't last. You NEED to love your subject, and you NEED to love telling other people about it.

Try again please.

By the way, my response are in bold, his are in bold italic.

I wouldn't expect anyone at this forum to understand what I'm trying to say, considering how the vast majority of people I'm arguing with are 15 year olds who were coddled into a "science da bes" mentality for their entire lives, and are actually incapable of conceiving that they may be shutting off certain venues of their lives by not actually doing other subjects.

I'll love reading the responses to the above paragraph :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
What does everyone think of this it looks a bit odd in places but most of what I created I can explain.Pictures of the Chart are in managed attachments.My writing can be a bit hard to read at times but if you are having trouble then comment and I will respond.

Now that you've added the chart I can see how ridiculous it actually is.

Lang & Lit is just as respected as English Lit, by the way. If my word isn't enough, Trinity Hall at Cambridge University (the only place where this **** actually matters) values it the same, so you can change that.

Classics is also just as respected as History, same thing with the Trinity Hall list.

And again, these subjects are Facilitating to their fields, this chart is basically "which subjects are good as a third/fourth/fifth alongside sciences?" Which is pretty useless.

"Computing Not Respected", that's funny, at St Andrews and other universities you can actually skip to the second year of a Computer Science course if you have Maths and Computing.

"EPQ Mickey Mouse", not really sure what to say about that.

This is a nice subjective chart brah, here's a better subjective one: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604 - "English candidates need to take either English Literature or combined English Language and Literature at A-level" and also two subjects from A1/A2 and a third in A1-B.

BUT HOW CAN THIS BE? SURELY THEY JEST, SURELY ONE MUST ATTAIN ALL THE SCIENCES TO STUDY AT SUCH A LEVEL OF PRESTIGE? SACRE BLEU, MAYBE MY CHOICE OF STUDYING FOUR FOREIGN LANGUAGES AND DOUBLE MATHS WAS NOT THE CORRECT DECISION
(edited 10 years ago)
History is facilitating hahahahaha have you ever written a History essay?
I also did Law and Psychology! Law is very essay-based and I'd describe it as facilitating, and Psychology may be a bit weak, but then I got AAB in August with the B in psychology so maybe I'm biased.
Reply 29
Original post by Azure-blue
Did I say that they were bad subjects? I think you're missing my point, I'm saying that universities look for people with the required set of skills for the course they want to pursue. Taking sciences and then doing English at University is stupid, and also impossible, since you REQUIRE English Literature / Lang&Lit to do any English course.

no but you implied it, if the sciences didn't have analytical skills (and maths skills), then they would just be memorisation of the textbook, which it isn't. the sciences are about applying the knowledge to solve a question. guaranteed, particularly at GCSE level, there might be one or two easy questions, that requires just knowing the content, such as 'what is the definition of x'

and fyi, essay skills have recently been incorporated into the GCSE sciences, were your, and i quote, 'quality of written communication' is assessed
Original post by AvengeNedStark
History is facilitating hahahahaha have you ever written a History essay?
I also did Law and Psychology! Law is very essay-based and I'd describe it as facilitating, and Psychology may be a bit weak, but then I got AAB in August with the B in psychology so maybe I'm biased.

History is facilitating though? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
History is facilitating though? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah technically haha, it just annoys me a little bit because it's still worth doing even if you don't do a History degree, the analytical skills you get from it are really beneficial!
Reply 32
Is this some kind of viral marketing for Half Life 3?

Seriously though, as interesting as your opinion on the respectability and relevancy of A Level subjects may be, I find the abundance of these threads a little disheartening.

It's all subjective. If you're going to study English at University then subjects like Film Studies would be perfectly fine and not frowned upon. And in fact, someone with English/Film Studies/History applying for an English course would have a better chance than someone who has Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, it's just simple logic, really - sciences don't convey that you have analytical skills nor a good essay writing ability.

Every teacher I've ever met who was the 'cool guy', you know, the one who is just an idol, someone you look up to, or at least someone you get along with really well, they've always been teachers of a subject that people call 'vocational' or 'useless'. If you really want to live a life of crunching numbers to make yourself seem smart, then hey, go ahead.

But even with a degree in Film or English, you could still teach the subject as a backup. I'd like to see anyone without passion in Maths or a Science try to teach it.

Seeing how you're complimenting english/film studies/history etc so much. I'll assume pure a student of them subjects. Let me just take this moment to say, your argument sucks. You jump to conclusions without even knowing anything about the subject like 'sciences don't show you have analytical ability' what the heck. I've spent 2 years in A-level analysing complicated graphs and data. Just because you had a bad experience of sciences at GCSE, don't try to insult the subject. Science puts food in your mouth bro (perhaps a bit of an exaggerated statement but let's go with the flow ). let me just quickly sum up my points, I'll try to make it simple for you.
SCIENCE HAS LOTS OF ANALYSING
IN SCIENCE YOU ALSO HAVE TO WRITE ESSAYS ( FOR RESEARCH NOT SHAKESPEARE)
SCIENCE + MATHS =/= NUMBER CRUNCHING
LASTLY, DON'T TALK BAD ABOUT A SUBJECT JUST BECAUSE YOU COULDN'T DO IT.
Original post by Olympiad
Economics is facilitating?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No but it is listed as a very solid choice to go alongside facilitating subjects.

I guess it is a course that just goes with most other subjects.
Original post by LegendX
Seeing how you're complimenting english/film studies/history etc so much. I'll assume pure a student of them subjects. Let me just take this moment to say, your argument sucks. You jump to conclusions without even knowing anything about the subject like 'sciences don't show you have analytical ability' what the heck. I've spent 2 years in A-level analysing complicated graphs and data. Just because you had a bad experience of sciences at GCSE, don't try to insult the subject. Science puts food in your mouth bro (perhaps a bit of an exaggerated statement but let's go with the flow ). let me just quickly sum up my points, I'll try to make it simple for you.
SCIENCE HAS LOTS OF ANALYSING
IN SCIENCE YOU ALSO HAVE TO WRITE ESSAYS ( FOR RESEARCH NOT SHAKESPEARE)
SCIENCE + MATHS =/= NUMBER CRUNCHING
LASTLY, DON'T TALK BAD ABOUT A SUBJECT JUST BECAUSE YOU COULDN'T DO IT.

I think the OP says that because the respected Humanities are usually referred to as the analytic subjects. Most subjects could be described as such though, in drastically different ways. I don't think he was trash-talking.
Original post by AvengeNedStark
Yeah technically haha, it just annoys me a little bit because it's still worth doing even if you don't do a History degree, the analytical skills you get from it are really beneficial!

Facilitating is a good thing, right? Doesn't it mean it opens up a lot of options? I do history, it's an amazing subject and certainly does give you great analytical skills :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by KingStannis
I think the OP says that because the respected Humanities are usually referred to as the analytic subjects. Most subjects could be described as such though, in drastically different ways. I don't think he was trash-talking.

Well, yeah, some humanities subjects are considered analytical but i don't think that one can claim that sciences are not. What he might have meant to say and what he actually said are two different things. He wrote explicitly that they show no analytical skills. The point I'm trying to make is, to correct OP's naive thinking in that, science and maths are just a load of sums filled with 'number crunching'. OP obviously did GCSE sciences and maths and is perhaps confusing himself that the level remains similar at A level. However, many would argue that is not the case. I've had to write countless essays even at a level for sciences. All I'm trying to say is, the OP jumps to conclusions without any real evidence. He just make countless claims which are absurd.
Reply 37
that is confusing...
Original post by LegendX
Well, yeah, some humanities subjects are considered analytical but i don't think that one can claim that sciences are not. What he might have meant to say and what he actually said are two different things. He wrote explicitly that they show no analytical skills. The point I'm trying to make is, to correct OP's naive thinking in that, science and maths are just a load of sums filled with 'number crunching'. OP obviously did GCSE sciences and maths and is perhaps confusing himself that the level remains similar at A level. However, many would argue that is not the case. I've had to write countless essays even at a level for sciences. All I'm trying to say is, the OP jumps to conclusions without any real evidence. He just make countless claims which are absurd.

This is the internet, the only known place in which it is simultaneously possible to be an expert in something that you know absolutely nothing about.
Reply 39

This.

Quick Reply

Latest