The Student Room Group

French A2 - Medicine?

Hi guys.
I am half-french hence i am taking French to A2 level. Would most medical schools be fine with me doing this..? I am also taking Biology and Chemistry at A2. I'd like to hear what you think.

Thanks
Reply 1
Do you speak fluent french? If so then universities would probably prefer to see a different subject. Great that you're taking Biology and Chemistry though!
Reply 2
Original post by s.v
Hi guys.
I am half-french hence i am taking French to A2 level. Would most medical schools be fine with me doing this..? I am also taking Biology and Chemistry at A2. I'd like to hear what you think.

Thanks
I'd suspect not, as they are likely to consider French to be a mother-tongue language for you. Even if they did accept it, it will not strengthen your application relative to those people taking three A levels that don't include a mother-tongue language, and I'm a bit surprised your school/college hasn't picked up on that.

You need to ask each uni individually - and do it quickly, because if you need a third A level in a different subject you'll have to do something about that extremely quickly so as not to fall behind, quite apart from having something to put on an application by 15 October.
Reply 3
Original post by Minerva
I'd suspect not, as they are likely to consider French to be a mother-tongue language for you. Even if they did accept it, it will not strengthen your application relative to those people taking three A levels that don't include a mother-tongue language, and I'm a bit surprised your school/college hasn't picked up on that.

You need to ask each uni individually - and do it quickly, because if you need a third A level in a different subject you'll have to do something about that extremely quickly so as not to fall behind, quite apart from having something to put on an application by 15 October.

My school have said its fine that I take it so long as i dont stress so much the fact that i am half french.. I do have a british passport. Would applying with that increase my chances?
Reply 4
Original post by s.v
My school have said its fine that I take it so long as i dont stress so much the fact that i am half french.. I do have a british passport. Would applying with that increase my chances?
That you have a British passport is irrelevant. The issue is that French is a mother tongue for you, and some unis specifically state that they will not accept an A level in a mother tongue as part of meeting an offer.

It's not a risk that I would care to take, myself, and I strongly suggest that you confirm - in writing - with the medical schools you are interested in what their position on this is.
Reply 5
Original post by s.v

I don't see why it would increase your chances of getting into medical school? I mean, what does it have to do with medicine? If someone could enlighten me it'd be much appreciated... :closedeyes:
I agree that being bilingual may be a plus to communicate with patients who don't speak English, but apart from that, the fact that you are half French and did French at A level is not going to be considered as an exploit, I'm afraid. :redface:
Original post by Medicine .
I don't see why it would increase your chances of getting into medical school? I mean, what does it have to do with medicine? If someone could enlighten me it'd be much appreciated... :closedeyes:
I agree that being bilingual may be a plus to communicate with patients who don't speak English, but apart from that, the fact that you are half French and did French at A level is not going to be considered as an exploit, I'm afraid. :redface:

I believe languages are considered 'respected a levels' (assuming they aren't natural etc). No all of your a levels have to be related to medicine, in fact some unis specifically say that candidates with contrasting a levels to biology/chemistry/maths etc will be preferred
Reply 7
Original post by mattmejevie
I believe languages are considered 'respected a levels' (assuming they aren't natural etc). No all of your a levels have to be related to medicine, in fact some unis specifically say that candidates with contrasting a levels to biology/chemistry/maths etc will be preferred

Oh, I see... :yes:
Reply 8
Understood. I have contacted the med schools regarding their position on me doing french A2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending