The Student Room Group

University with no qualifications?

Hey I had to leave school due to health reasons so I never finished my GCSE'S, but I really want to study at university. What would be my best options to achieve this goal?

If I went for A level maths/english/science I think that would be ok, but i'm unsure if at 21 you can pay for it, or have to have prior qualification.
Reply 1
Original post by Rob Chalmers
Hey I had to leave school due to health reasons so I never finished my GCSE'S, but I really want to study at university. What would be my best options to achieve this goal?

If I went for A level maths/english/science I think that would be ok, but i'm unsure if at 21 you can pay for it, or have to have prior qualification.
You'd be unlikely to get on to an A level course without GCSEs, so you should consider an Access course of some kind. Contact your local college to start with and see what's on offer there.

If you are able to fund yourself you can choose what you like, and there are plenty of options out there - but choose with care because not all courses are the same and it can work out very expensive without achieving the result you want - ie, a university place.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply! :smile:

Well I would like to study Psychology/Counselling, I found a place that do it the entry requirements are here http://search.ucas.com/course/entryrequirements/47875/psychology-with-counselling?Lat=51.40093&Lng=0.16363&Feather=0&Query=psychology&Location=br8%207er&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2014&page=1&providerids=1002&ret=results#coursedetailsmenu

With an Access course would that be enough? Or would I have to do one for Psychology and basic English/Maths?
Reply 3
Well I want to study Psychology would an Access course be enough? Or would I need an Access course in English/Maths also?
Reply 4
Original post by Rob Chalmers
Well I want to study Psychology would an Access course be enough? Or would I need an Access course in English/Maths also?
An Access course is meant to prepare you for university entry, and there are different versions according to which discipline/subject you are aiming for. If it won't cover the essentials in Maths and English GCSE, I believe you can do these alongside - this is why you need to find your local college and talk to them about the options in your particular circumstances.
Reply 5
Thank you very much for the information! :smile:
Reply 6
I would recommend an Access course at college or by Distance Learning if you want to go to a brick university. This will equip you with all the essential qualifications to get onto a university place of your choice.

Another alternative is to look at the Open University, which has no entry requirements and has a lot of choices to choose from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending