The Student Room Group
same as me!
ethical arguments - pro's and con's
scientific arguments - pro's and con's

this is very helpful - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=25102&d=1150527621
Reply 3
With regards to the Ethical side, you might be interested in Peter Singer's work, he's a leading bio-ethicist , his views are very controversial though, which would make it excellent essay stuff (that is, if you're supposed to go at it at such a length)
Reply 4
Ian Pearce
With regards to the Ethical side, you might be interested in Peter Singer's work, he's a leading bio-ethicist , his views are very controversial though, which would make it excellent essay stuff (that is, if you're supposed to go at it at such a length)

Is he the one who is opposed to testing on animals? If so I likess him :smile:
animals deserve rights the same as we do, who are we to say they don't?! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 5
ehr, well I, for one as animals don`t come even close to being persons, and besides philosophical thinking in terms of 'rights' is dodgy anyhow (Singer is a utilitarian, so he won`t have a rights-based discourse either, but that aside.)

Nonetheless singer's claim is that animals and humans can`t be ethically played off against each other as both feel pain, and in his book feeling pain is the only relevant ethical measure, and according to him you can`t say human potential trumps animal feelings. I think it's a difficult position to take , esp. as it leads to odd conclusions but he is a very prominent philosopher, and dead smart to boot, and readable as well.
Reply 6
Ian Pearce
ehr, well I, for one as animals don`t come even close to being persons, and besides philosophical thinking in terms of 'rights' is dodgy anyhow (Singer is a utilitarian, so he won`t have a rights-based discourse either, but that aside.)

Nonetheless singer's claim is that animals and humans can`t be ethically played off against each other as both feel pain, and in his book feeling pain is the only relevant ethical measure, and according to him you can`t say human potential trumps animal feelings. I think it's a difficult position to take , esp. as it leads to odd conclusions but he is a very prominent philosopher, and dead smart to boot, and readable as well.

well I am one of those spiritual people that doesn't hurt or kill anything :smile: The woodpigeons know where to come to get some stale bread, I'll let ladybirds out when they're stuck inside on my window, I won't kill bees or wasps and I'll rescue a spider if it's in the sink etc :smile:. Just makes me feel more at peace with the world...
The only things that I view as having less rights than me are gnats because they abuse any right they may have by going on a mission to suck your blood. Honestly, they're not even discreet about it, as soon as I turn my light off they start buzzzzzing their dangly legs right above my face and won't pee off!

Animals may not have responsibilities or intelligence in the form that we have but they are not just robotic walking pieces of meat, they have individual characters like us :smile:
Reply 7
And just because of your subjective dislike for gnats who only want to feed their baby you mercilessly swat them, I see... makes sense ;-)

I never swat spiders, theyre much too useful at eating gnats so I dont have to swat m :-)
Reply 8
Ian Pearce
And just because of your subjective dislike for gnats who only want to feed their baby you mercilessly swat them, I see... makes sense ;-)/QUOTE]

They are not feeding their babies! They are acting egoistically and feeding themselves! And I never said I swatted them...... spraying air freshener/ hair spray usually does the trick :P

Subjective?? You find me a person that likes gnats and I'll grow a beard.
Reply 9
[QUOTE="zoea85"]
Ian Pearce
And just because of your subjective dislike for gnats who only want to feed their baby you mercilessly swat them, I see... makes sense ;-)/QUOTE]

They are not feeding their babies! They are acting egoistically and feeding themselves! And I never said I swatted them...... spraying air freshener/ hair spray usually does the trick :P

Subjective?? You find me a person that likes gnats and I'll grow a beard.

The fact that six-and-a-half billion people hold a subjective statement do not make it necessarily objective that it is so *tut-tut*
Reply 10
[QUOTE="Pearce" Ian="Ian"]
zoea85

The fact that six-and-a-half billion people hold a subjective statement do not make it necessarily objective that it is so *tut-tut*

:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending